1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Gen 4 Rear End - hard to wash

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by IAPrius, Nov 1, 2016.

1. IAPrius

IAPrius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    So this is a random observation I've had with my Gen 4 Prius 4 which I bought late July.

I drive a lot - already have 8900 miles on the car - which I love by the way. Whenever I wash it (usually I got to an automated wash as I live in an apartment) the back end always ends up with drips and streaks. The dual rear window really causes some issues with its angles and such. If you washed it yourself it would be easier as you could towel dry but I still think it would be hard to get perfect.

Certainly not a deal breaker - just a minor annoyance I have noticed.

RCO likes this.
  2. Felt

Felt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Do you use the 'Touchless' auto wash?

Before I traded my 2010, I was fearful even the soft wash brushes were going to tear the rear deflector off the car.

I always carried a soft towel and dried the two rear windows because the blower never got them dry ... and as you said, they streaked and looked terrible.

RCO likes this.
  3. alanclarkeau

alanclarkeau Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I wash by hand, and never have had a problem.

The only "rear end" design fault I've noticed is that the rear wiper only works on the upper glass, whereas the lower glass (acrylic/perspex actually) is the part which gets dirty. And, yes, they aren't going to put a miniature windscreen wiper on it either.

4. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I've always had to stop by an island and grab some paper towels to dry off the rear (Gen 2 and Gen 3). The fans never catch it and it doesn't dry the rear.

RCO and alanclarkeau like this.
  5. thewraith

thewraith Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    LOL, popping back and forth from the very highly technical supraforums to this site is mind numbing due to threads like this.

Mendel Leisk and RCO like this.