1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Gen 4 steering angle sensor calibration

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by GNTBeer, Dec 5, 2023.

1. GNTBeer

GNTBeer New Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    Can any of you please share the calibration/reset procedure for a Gen 4 steering angle sensor (SAS)? I decided to recover my peeling Softex steering wheel and thought it would be easier with the wheel off. I disconnected the battery, removed the airbag and cowling, and got the steering nut off. When I attempted to remove the wheel it took a bit of force, and in the process the clock spring popped out like a can of worms. I guess part of its cover was a little stuck to the wheel. $350 later, I had a new clock spring and paired it with my existing SAS and put everything back together. Now I'm getting pre-collision and lane departure warning lights. I kind of expected it, but I can't find a procedure specific to the Gen 4 to be comfortable attempting a reset. Please help! Much thanks

2. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    The information I have is for Gen 3, but it might give an idea of what you'll be looking at. You can find the exact details for your Gen 4 in the repair manual:

Toyota Service Information and Where To Find It

In a Gen 3 without the advanced parking guidance, the steering angle sensor is automatically calibrated (as long as it is properly connected and not busted, of course).

Any time you first power the car on, if you read the steering angle with a scan tool, it may show some bogus reading, but only until you have driven a bit. Once you have driven straight a small distance (which the car recognizes because when you're driving straight all the wheels turn the same speed and the yaw rate sensor reads zero), the car knows where the steering angle zero point is. So the steering angle sensor needs no calibration. (There is a calibration procedure for the yaw rate sensor if you ever replace that, down under the center console box, but if that hasn't been disturbed it isn't needed here.)

However, in a Gen 3 with the advanced parking guidance, there are extra steps. They're done from the infotainment diagnostic screens on the MFD. (You can search PriusChat and find a lot of posts on how to access those screens, though a lot of the posts you find will probably be for Gen 1, 2, or 3.) They'll be under Function Check / Setting, then Camera Setting, then Steering Angle Setting.

It sounds as if your Gen 4 also has the extra features that need the extra steering angle settings, so quite possibly that will work similarly to the way it does in Gen 3.

It would never hurt, of course, to read the trouble codes and make sure of what the car is really complaining about.

3. GNTBeer

GNTBeer New Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    I appreciate the input, but it seems like the Gen 4 doesn't autocalibrate like the Gen 3. I've driven it for 3 days and I'm still getting warning lights for pre-collision and lane departure systems. I bought a 1 month subscription to Alldata only to discover that it just says "refer to repair manual".

4. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    You'll see in post #2 that I distinguished between Gen 3 with and without the advanced driving features. The basic use of the steering angle sensor by the vehicle stability control is autocalibrated. The optional features (like parking guidance in Gen 3) require further steps, done through the infotainment diagnostic screens.

Your reported warning lights are for pre-collision and lane departure systems ... advanced driving features. So it is possible those features do have additional calibration steps, just as they do in Gen 3.

Still, it never hurts to get the actual trouble codes from the car, so you find out whether it is really complaining about steering angle calibration or about something else entirely.

That's weird. I see ALLDATAdiy listed in the Toyota Service Information and Where To Find It as one of the third-party services through which you ought to be able to view the repair manual. What was the name of the ALLDATA document you happened to be in when it said "refer to repair manual"?

5. GNTBeer

GNTBeer New Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    I did finally find this in the Alldata "Programming and Relearning" section:
    1. STEERING SENSOR ZERO POINT CALIBRATION
      • Start the hybrid system.
      • Drive the vehicle straight ahead at 35 km/h (22 mph) or more for 5 seconds or more.
      • Turn the power switch off.
    I have tried this a few times and no luck. I did check with an ODB scanner and got:
    C1433 Steering Angle Sensor Internal Circuit
    C1436 Malfunction in Yaw Rate Sensor

It seems pretty likely that the Steering Angle Sensor got turned before I reattached it to the new coil spring, but I'm not sure what my options are at this point without spending a lot of money. Seems like I'll need to replace the SAS or take it to a dealer. It's very frustrating to encounter expensive mechanical repairs when all I set out to do was correct a cosmetic issue (bad Softex).