1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Featured Gen 5 Prius now further delayed to the model year 2024

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by Gokhan, Jun 3, 2021.

1. Gokhan

Gokhan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Gen 4 is now by far the longest-running Prius generation with its eight and last model year reportedly confirmed as 2023. Prius generations ran six model years in the past. Gen 5 Prius will debut as a model year 2024.

This could put the next-generation Prius Prime in the model year 2025.

All-new Toyota Prius to debut in 2023 with coupe-Like design—autoevolution

00crashtest and Salamander_King like this.
  2. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    OK, that means 2022 PP will be mostly carryover from 2021 PP. Now, I am more inclined to save on 2021 PP models with a $5500 rebate than wait for the arrival of 2022 PP. Then again, there is the allure of numbers of BEV models, including Toyota's own elusive bZ, being introduced later this year or early next year. Humm, decisions, decisions, decisions.

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i would expect the next prime to be on lots by late 2023.
    will it just be an improvement, or something totally different?
    definitely not interested in a coupe of any sort.
    i'd rather get the right car than the cheap car. i'll probably wait and hope they get it right

00crashtest and Unresolved_ERR like this.
  4. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    ...."The Prius is not doing so hot right now. It's down from 236,000 units sold in 2012 to 43,000 for 2020. We believe the right move here is to make the Prius into a class-leading EV to stop losing market share. "

While it's true that cars are about as popular as face masks when compared with CUVs and SUVs, that's a pretty cheap shot.
    I'm thinking that the G4's shrinking numbers "might" have been influenced by other stuff in 2020.
    I DO agree with the article about one thing though......the G5 ought not to be a wireless car, coup or otherwise.

"Prius" is supposed to mean, essentially 'something prior' or a 'precondition.'
    This does not MEAN they HAVE to stay stuck in the past..... ;)

#4 ETC(SS), Jun 3, 2021
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2021
  5. Zythryn

Zythryn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Salamander_King likes this.
  6. Salamander_King

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Even if sold nationwide, I doubt any NEW BEV will have a huge discount like Prius Prime has now. If the new refundable EV tax credit becomes reality, that will help a lot. But in the end, for me, it all comes down to value. If it isn't affordable to buy, maintain, and operate, then no concept car is suitable for my daily use, that is if I go back to daily commuting again later this year.

ETC(SS) likes this.
  7. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Sure as heck won't have the range!

Hicksite likes this.
  8. Salamander_King

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    For my strictly daily use car, the range is the least of concern. As long as it has a total range of 100 miles, I can live with it. Yeah, it would be nice to have 300+ miles EV range, but I don't plan to travel long distances on a BEV at least until they come up with a technology to be able to finish charging the full range again in less than 5 min.

9. royrose

royrose Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    They are talking about a "coupe like" design, not an actual coupe. That is not much different than the current gen which tries to be "sporty".

January 2023 could be a late arriving 2023 model or an early 2024. we'll see.

10. PriusPeep

PriusPeep Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Thank you, Toyota. I am very happy there will be a new and improved 5th generation Prius.

I don’t want an all electric car that I have to charge. The Prius charges itself.

And I’m sure after seven years Toyota’s R&D will produce a more efficient Prius. It’s the best of both worlds- high fuel efficiency combined with a rechargeable battery.

I also look forward to an improved and modern interior with great technology. Please make the large screen (such as the current 11.6 inch touchscreen) standard on all versions or at least an option on all models.

Two major areas for improvement are road noise and the propensity for windshield cracks. Please do something on both counts. Perhaps a thicker and stronger windshield will address both issues.

Valiant V likes this.
  11. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    and please make it look like a corvette

kenmce and Graz like this.
  12. Gokhan

Gokhan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    5 minutes is 12C charging (1/12 hours). The best proposed lithium-metal solid-sate batteries, not to be available before 2024 and later, claim 4C charging (1/4 hours), and that's only meant for occasional use, as fast-charging decreases the cycle life. Of course, it also requires special infrastructure to charge at such high currents.

Valiant V and Salamander_King like this.
  13. Salamander_King

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah, currently charging infrastructure is non-existence around here. I doubt it will improve much before the battery technology allows faster charging. Even a Tesla is going to struggle to have enough juice in our neighborhood without a meticulous travel plan to stop at a motel or a hotel with overnight L2 charging.

Gokhan likes this.
  14. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Why The Toyota Corolla Hybrid Is Better Than A Prius | CarBuzz
    When looked at in the American or European market, the prius sales are simply going to other hybrids. In japan it still does well, but really does there need to be a corolla hybrid, a Camry hybrid, and a Prius hybrid in a declining hybrid car market. It still sells well in japan, but how long will that continue.

I agree the next gen should not be a bev with no motor, but since over half of prii sold last year were primes, doing a designed to be phev prius for next generation. Sometimes people use the term EV for both bev and phev vehicles, but I prefer the term plug-in for the category. Toyota has even tried calling the mirai an EV to try to get a few sold.

+1
    If they decide its a phev, they could go low cost and use the 1.5L 3 cylinder yaris hybrid engine and a 12 kwh lithium iron phosphate battery. The battery would be much less expensive than the current prime's battery pack. Or they could go high performance and use something like the rav4 primes layout or something in between.

00crashtest, Merkey and Rmay635703 like this.
  15. Rmay635703

Rmay635703 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    N/A
    It’s not a coupe, it has 4 doors

COUPE = 2 Doors PERIOD

Coupe Like = 4 door corvette/ ??? / Profit

00crashtest, Trollbait and royrose like this.
  16. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Cost of that, plus higher tier pricing for the service itself, is what enthusiasts continue to trunk a blind-eye toward. They obsess with a technical trait, blowing off how impractical it is to actually deliver.

17. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    If the past is predictable, it won’t be seen In SouthEast Region.

Trollbait likes this.
  18. Lee Jay

Lee Jay Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    The G4 shouldn't have been available as a hybrid. It should have been a PHEV from the start. If there is a G5, it should be a PHEV, a REX or an optional BEV. No hybrid Prius anymore.

19. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    but they sold 40,000 units last year

20. Gokhan

Gokhan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    You would enjoy TSS 2.0. The car is practically self-driving at freeway ramps and lane merges. The funny thing is that nothing on the MFD even comes up, but the car steers you into the lane automatically and does it very smoothly. TSS 1.0 didn't have this silent and aggressive lane-keep assist feature. Hopefully, with TSS 3.0, 4.0, etc., the car will eventually be truly self-driving.

On the other hand, the lane-tracing assist with cruise control, which debuted on TSS 2.0, doesn't work smoothly.

bwilson4web likes this.