1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Gen 5 Prius Prime PHEV goes live starting at $32,350

Discussion in 'Gen 5 Prius Main Forum' started by Gokhan, Apr 5, 2023.

1. Gokhan

Gokhan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
  2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Not bad, but no tax credit?

3. Gokhan

Gokhan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    You may have state and local credits and incentives. There is currently no factory rebate or federal tax credit.

Will you be getting one?

4. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Add delivery fee, plus almost mandatory floor mats and dealer document fee, the lowest price is going to be $35k on SE model before tax. That's if I can find one without mark up.

Nope, without rebate and tax credit, it is out of my reach.

#4 Salamander_King, Apr 5, 2023
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2023
    Gokhan likes this.
  5. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Isn’t there a loophole where if you lease, you could get the tax credit IF the leasing company passes those onto you?

6. Gokhan

Gokhan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    According to my latest calculations, my monthly payments will be reduced from $656 to $426 when I trade in to a Gen 5 SE. Plus, I will get a $1,000 CVRP rebate.

I got so used to TSS 2.0 LTA that I use it all the time. I am guessing that TSS 3.0+ will make the car almost self-driving for me. I am worried that I will soon forget how to drive. LOL

7. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    There is.

Tideland Prius likes this.
  8. Salamander_King

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah, if there are any leasing programs for this car. I didn't see any for Gen4 PP. I don't think there will be any for Gen5 PP.

Well, monthly payment has nothing to do with the total cost of the car. You can always lower any monthly payment with a new loan term. Unless the car's final total purchase price is less than $25K, like it was for me on the last PP Ltd, it makes no sense to get this Gen5 PP. The performance and sporty looks of the car have no value to me. Besides, I don't need a car right now. I may need it by the summertime if my work situation changes, but until I know for sure I need a car, I will wait. Hopefully, I will see more affordable new BEVs and/or better deals on used BEVs or PHEVs. If all fails, and I need a daily driver, I can always get a Corolla or Civic at around $25K.

#8 Salamander_King, Apr 5, 2023
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2023
    Tideland Prius likes this.
  9. Gokhan

Gokhan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Monthly payments are important if you are on a budget. The factory rebates, deep dealer discounts, and federal tax credit are long gone. Don't forget about the markup when you estimate $25k. You also need to drive a car you will be happy in.

10. Salamander_King

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah, if I have to make a monthly budget around my car payment, then I would not be buying a new car. Most dealer sales guys will first ask a potential buyer what monthly payment he/she wants... I always laugh at the question. Paying lower monthly payments for a longer term only makes banks happy. It is always the final sales price that is the most important.

11. Gokhan

Gokhan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    So, you pay cash?

12. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i'd say the odds are very low, but i'm not ruling itout. i certainlycan't make a decision until i can test drive one, compare the hatch space, rear seats, drivers headroom and etc.
    i certainly won't be putting my name on a list, but if they ever show up in quantity, i will kick the tires.
    looking at everything we know so far, there's some things to like, and some not.

13. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Third party leases are possible/

14. Gokhan

Gokhan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    LOL You will never be getting one.

15. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    you're probably right. i'm more likely to get an ev or rav4 prime. i really wanted this gen 5 prime to be an improvement on the gen 4 shortcoming that kept me from buying one, but it may not be

Tideland Prius and Gokhan like this.
  16. Salamander_King

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It depends. If a 0% or very low APR loan is available, taking a loan is a better deal. And in most cases, a dealer likes a customer who takes a loan more than someone who pays cash. It has been more of my advantage for negotiating the better term by letting them work on the loan term even if I can pay cash. So, I never tell them I can pay cash. I have had ~$25K set aside for my own car fund since I purchased Gen3 back in 2015. This has been always a hard max spending limit on a car. Fortunately, for the last 5 new cars I purchased, Gen3, 3xPPs, and Escape PHEV, I did not have to add any new money to this fund. PPs were sold for more than I paid. So, in essence, I have had 5 new cars in succession during the last 8 years for a net cost of ~$25k.

Gokhan likes this.
  17. Gokhan

Gokhan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Even at today's higher interest rates, interest payments on a 60-month car loan are fairly negligible because of the short duration of the loan. It is a totally different story when you have a 30-year home loan.

18. Salamander_King

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I did not see any Gen4 leasing program being offered. Period. That means a manufacturing leasing program or a third-party program. That does not mean it did not exist or will not be available for a Gen5 PP. But my prediction is that it is not likely there will any good leasing deals on this car.

19. Salamander_King

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't know about you. But doing a simple calculation on a $35K loan for 6 years at a 4% rate. The interest payment comes to be $4,425. That's 11% of the total payment that goes to the bank. I don't consider that to be negligible.

upload_2023-4-5_20-28-28.png
    As for a home mortgage, I had three different loans in the last 18 years. Each time I refinanced, I did it with a shorter term with a lower monthly payment so that I am not going to pay longer years even with a lower interest. The original 30-year mortgage was a variable rate. Refied to 25-year fixed when the rate started to go up. Then when the rate went down to a historic low I refied again to 15 super low fixed rate, keeping the pay off year the same.

Tideland Prius and Gokhan like this.
  20. Gokhan

Gokhan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Yeah, the interest rates have increased a lot, haven't they?