1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Featured Gen 6 Prius engine will be a “game changer,” achieve a 53% thermal efficiency

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by Gokhan, Jun 7, 2024.

1. Gokhan

Gokhan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Gen 6 will more than make up the usual Prius generational progress in fuel efficiency that did not come with Gen 5.

The all-new 1.5-L naturally aspirated engine that will power Gen 6 Prius will result in a 30% increase in both thermal efficiency and horsepower, increasing the 41% thermal efficiency of the current engine to 53%.

This will bring the EPA fuel efficiency to around 75 mpg. Hypermilers will easily average around 100 mpg. In populated states like California, driving a Gen 6 Prius will be cheaper than driving a BEV.

The smaller size of the engine will also allow Gen 6 to have a more aggressive design than Gen 5, with a lowered roof.

There will also be a 2.0-L and turbo versions of the all-new engine.

The pictures in the gallery show the new engine in a yellow Gen 5 Prius Prime.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

https://www.motor1.com/news/722314/toyota-claims-game-changing-engines/

telmo744, bwilson4web and John321 like this.
  2. John321

John321 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    What a leap in efficiency and power!

Gokhan likes this.
  3. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Leadfoot J. McCoalroller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    That's a big jump.

Now put it in the Corolla hatchback, we'll trade in a nice Prius c on one. Heck, we'll even give you 5-6 years to get there. Deal?

EDIT: adding:

Second photo shows a turbo engine with an impressively short exhaust header. 3rd photo shows an engine without a turbo in the yellow Prius.

But there's a large space behind the head where that turbo from the 2nd picture could go, and a significant heat shield on the front of the firewall.

And it's smaller than the current powerplant? I'd guess they're going to introduce these engines before the 6th generation body.

#3 Leadfoot J. McCoalroller, Jun 7, 2024
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2024
    Pri3C and Isaac Zachary like this.
  4. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    While higher efficiency gas engine is always welcome, the Prius and some other Toyota's current hybrid engines are already super efficient. For someone like me who drives only ~5k miles/year on the gas engine (and drive ~7k miles on EV), 54mpg to 75mpg improvement will save only ~26 gallons of gas annually...

Yeah, if I have to replace my car at some point during Gen 6 production, I will definitely consider it. But I can cut down 26 gallons gas equivalent CO2 emissions by other ways much economically I would think.

5. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Oh absolutely. Even if you drove above average utilization, you wouldn't buy into something like this for the additional savings. It'd just be a nice updated baseline, assuming they can keep the window sticker where it is now.

Salamander_King likes this.
  6. Salamander_King

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Big IF... I would hope they can keep the cost down. But I highly doubt it.

Danno5060 likes this.
  7. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    They just pulled it off with the new gen Camry. Here's hoping.

8. Salamander_King

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    What was improved on the new gen Camry? Gen5 Prius Prime is no longer a bargain priced for decreased mpg in exchange for the better looks. Many models are getting deleted features to stay at the base price. It's getting harder and harder to find a bargain in a new car market.

bisco likes this.
  9. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Efficiency is always good. EV cross country is mixed.

I drove 1,180 mi for ~$9/100 miles. Given $3..00/gal seen occasionally, that would be 3 gal/100 miles or 33 MPG. But most of my EV miles are around town for $2.50/100 miles or ~120 MPG.

On the way home,I'll try to improve my efficiency by letting Full Self Driving handle all of the speeds and routes. I was a little heavy on the speeds head to Port Isabel.

Bob Wilson

drash and Gokhan like this.
  10. John321

John321 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Was just thinking, we bought our PHEV because it was cheaper to drive on electric, with gas currently at $3.19 a gallon this type engine starts to flip that economic dynamic in the other direction.

With our country committed to certain policies that are going to cause the price of electricity to skyrocket - these types of engines have the potential to be game changers for the economics of personal transportation cost and the associated decisions and choices for the least expensive options.

Gokhan likes this.
  11. Salamander_King

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    While that can certainly be true for many part of the US where the electricity rate is relatively "cheap". I have lived in New England where the average electricity rate is >2x of the US average for most part of my driving years. I never saved any money by driving EV on our PHEVs. But I will continue to plug in and use 100% regenerative energy for most of our personal transportation. If Toyota put this new engine in the plug-in with 100mils of EV range, then I will replace our current PHEV in a heartbeat.

Louis19 and John321 like this.
  12. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    wooooo ... 53%

That means less filthy pollution and less carcinogenic toxic fuel used. Pretty impressive.
    Then - comparing to electric motor efficiency of 85% - 95% ...
    no comparison

sylvaing, 3PriusMike and bisco like this.
  13. Mr.Vanvandenburg

Mr.Vanvandenburg Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    All fine until it got to “ lower roof.”

14. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    What is the source for the 53% figure, the paywalled Automotive News article? The only 53% thermally efficiency engine the water fowl is finding is a new Chinese diesel. If true, it is a huge jump; almost a quarter improvement over their latest gasoline engines. Is the figure for gasoline, hydrogen, or another fuel?

This is one of the engines Toyota is developing for hybrids. Cost savings from the engine are going to go to the motors and batteries, as the system will be using those more for torque. I'd expect more series hybrid operation; the highway gains may not be as great.

Maybe even series only. What's in the box on the back end?
    [​IMG]
    A generator perhaps.

The goal of making the engine smaller is for aerodynamics. Frontal area is a big part of that. It also helps packaging for PHEVs. Get it small enough, and you won't need to make big changes to a BEV platform to add a range extender.

fuzzy1 likes this.
  15. Leadfoot J. McCoalroller

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    If numbers like that excite you, consider energy density. If you have a hypothetical EV with a 300kWh battery, and that battery (if removed from the car) weighs under 75lbs takes up under 40 liters of volume?

That would be quite an accomplishment in terms of EV battery performance, right?

Well congratulations. That kind of raw energy density would put you on par with a $19k Toyota Yaris.

John321 likes this.
  16. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    Lots of factors to consider if deciding between a 50% efficient ICE vs 90% EV. Safety - for instance. Hypothetical 45mph head on collision between Yaris equipped with ICE up front - versus weight of 300kWh skateboard EV & large crumple Zone up front due to Motors being smaller.
    Decisions decisions.

3PriusMike likes this.
  17. John321

John321 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    #17 John321, Jun 7, 2024
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2024
  18. BiomedO1

BiomedO1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    That turbo version seems to have a belt driven water pump, doesn't look like an alternator? Picture #2

19. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    the people in the picture must be under 5' tall, or have very short torso's

20. Zythryn

Zythryn Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Renewable energy can lower the cost of electricity.
    Other factors can raise it, even to the point of overwhelming the cost savings of renewables.

I’ll be paying $0.015/kWh for the next 23-28 years. I’ll stick with the more efficient, cleaner, convenient, better driving less expensive to maintain EVs.