1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

GEN I Forced "EV" Mode????

Discussion in 'Prius PHEV Plug-In Modifications' started by usnavystgc, Nov 18, 2011.

1. usnavystgc

usnavystgc Die Hard DIYer and Ebike enthusiast.

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I have noticed that when I put my 01 Prius in "D" after I turn the key but, before the ICE starts, it seems to force it into an "EV" mode (the ICE doesn't start, and I can drive on battery only until its charge is way lower than the system usually lets it get). I also get all the warning lights (Triangle, Check Engine and Hybrid Warning). If I pull over, turn it off and turn it back on, the ICE will start and the car will function normally (all the warning lights will still be on unless I cycle the ignition several times). Has anyone else experienced this? I has happened to me at least 5x in the past two years (only because I'm so impatient and put the car in "D" too fast not because I'm trying to do it).

Will doing this too often cause any permanent problems? Can this be exploited to do short trips (ie, less than a mile)?

2. lopezjm2001

lopezjm2001 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    You are asking questions of what the Prius was never designed to do. Your DTC could be a result of a very intermittent fault. The DTC you get has disabled the ICE and put your Prius into OutOfGas mode which allows EV mode up to about 80kph. Many people like myself have taken the Prius over the designed limitations and run the possible risk of damage or degradation to HV battery and electric motors etc etc.

3. MJFrog

MJFrog Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    N/A
    Not to belabor a point, and I'm not sure it applies to a GEN I as much as GEN II or III, but have you checked your 12v battery lately???

4. usnavystgc

usnavystgc Die Hard DIYer and Ebike enthusiast.

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Yes, I have recently replaced it with an Optima Yellow Top. 12V battery is fine.