1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Gen II 1/4 mile time

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by siren676, Feb 3, 2011.

1. siren676

siren676 New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    My mum has a XW20 (gen 2?) prius and is bragging that it is faster than my non-turbo 1998 Toyota Starlet. I challenged her to a race at the drags but she said no.

What sort of times have you guys and gals managed on the 1/4?

My best time was a 18.002 in the starlet.

Who would win?

Cheers, Daniel

2. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Toyota Prius - First Drive Review - Auto Reviews - Car and Driver mentions 18.9 sec in the 1/4 mile. Consumer Reports got 18.1 in an 04 and 08 Touring. That's a bit surprising that CR's results were a bit faster as their acceleration results tend to be slower than most other car mags.

Did you get the XW20 designation from Wikipedia? I don't know why the entries were altered to that labeling. AFAIK, Toyota has never called them XWnn. It's been NHW10, NHW11, NHW20 and now ZVW30.

Being in the 18s is pretty slow in the 1/4. :)

3. siren676

siren676 New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah i got that model number from wiki.

I know that 18's isnt very fast but i was running in DYO (staggered start) and did fairly well.

So the cars are quite close in the end. Must be similar power to weight.
    Now to challenge her again at the drags

4. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Is that bracket racing? I think a Prius or any hybrid wouldn't be so good for that due to lack of consistency from varying state of charge of the big battery. If the HV battery is down to 1-2 bars, you can bet that run will be slower.

5. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Yes I think the SOC would have a noticeable impact on how much punch it had. But that's a great opportunity for cheating (um I mean "tweaking"). Just hold the brake and the go pedal and you can force charge the battery to 7 or 8 green bars and you're good to go.

I'll bet that's how the guys in the OP's other thread on this topic managed to get 17.6 seconds (these identical threads should be merged BTW).