1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Gen II 2006 Prius MIL VSC (!) CIL

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by HAWGMAN, Apr 18, 2016.

1. HAWGMAN

HAWGMAN Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    So after having good success with my son's 2006, prius, (engine swap all went well still running like a top) I purchased my ( I have 6 kids btw) twin kids next car another 2006 prius. This one has 255xxx miles, had the hybrid batt replaced last year 5-12-15, had the hybrid system fluid and pump replaced last year. It has the MIL VSC and (!) and CIL on. The first thing I noticed was the aux battery was low (10v) took it off had it charged showing 13 now. Lights all are all off but after about 5 minutes of running lights comeback on. I drove it slowly to AZ and had the codes checked came back with p00016, and P0340. Havent replaced the CPS yet, I changed the oil, changed the air filter and cleaned the Throttle body. This time it ran about 10 minutes before lights came back on. I was thinking maybe the hybrid system was getting hot, and it was the inverter pump, but then when I checked the toyota records I saw it had been replaced last year. Im about to shell out the $ for the sensor, but I'm thinking I may just cut my losses and just buy another salvage engine and do swap like I did before. any suggestions?? it runs great after the battery reset until all the lights come on, shifts well etc.

2. andrewclaus

andrewclaus Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    If you're going to be doing this much work on perhaps three Priuses, consider investing in the Mini VCI and Techstream software, rather than relying on incomplete readings from AutoZone. Generic OBD-II readers won't see many hybrid system codes.

What is the 12V battery's resting voltage (first thing in morning, no load)? What is it with IG-ON?

You should be able to see coolant flow in the inverter reservoir with IG-ON, and hear the quiet hum of the pump.

The two codes together could be pointing to an actual timing problem, not just a sensor. If you want to put time into it, rather than money, you can pull the valve cover and check that.

At that engine's mileage, your idea of replacing it may be a good one since you have the experience. I hear there are some good deals on engines and transaxles.

3. HAWGMAN

HAWGMAN Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Andrew, ill check the battery readings, I know at some point ill have to replace the engine, but hoping to get it to last for a while, the reason im kinda optimistic is that it runs great for like 10 -15 minutes, until the MIL and other lights come on. it seems like some kind of a heat issue to me since its intermittent until the car heats up, At times it seems like the battery pack fan is running loudly, Ill probably take it off and clean it next. I think I have a buddy that has a mini VCI, Ill try to borrow that from him and get some more detailed error codes.

4. HAWGMAN

HAWGMAN Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Correction the Codes were p0016, P0441.
    I cleaned the Mass air flow sensor, but I cant get the screen of the VVT filter out. I tried needle nose, tweezers, vacuum magnet, no luck..

Any ideas, Im anxious to see if the codes stay clear.

5. andrewclaus

andrewclaus Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I'd buy a new filter first, (about $5, it looks like) then destroy the old one pulling it out with excessive force. I have great-grandma's antique button hook in my toolbox for things like that. I've never done this job so I'm just guessing here. I do a lot of similar plumbing jobs on filters on PRVs, appliances, faucets. Sometimes you have to ruin them.