1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Gen ii - Battery woes -P08A80 - Warranty Q's +

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by CarmanNJ, Nov 8, 2017.

1. CarmanNJ

CarmanNJ Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    2007 Prius with 151,XXX mi just displayed the Xmas tree, -P0A80 - the code indicates a replacement battery is needed and I want to keep this car.

I have been reading lots of threads on replacement, pros and cons here and elsewhere. It seems that recycled battery have mixed results, with obvious risks of further break down in the near future. So a new Toyota battery may just be the best option and I will attempt to do it my self with instructions I have found in this forum. (http://www.vfaq.net/docs/Springs-04priusr_21_20zv7_w140001.pdf) or get someone to do it.

This car is from a CARB state- NJ, I believe that the warranty is 10y/150K miles. As you can see I just past that mileage 1XXX miles back. And furthermore, I am the 2nd owner. So I don't know when exactly the car was purchased by the PO, thereby the actual 10yr limit may have already been breached.
    • Do you think there are any chances of getting Toyota to replace the battery on warranty. How would I go about it?
    • How would I go about it armed with documentation or being well informed. Is there any official posting?
    • What is the best price I can get on a Toyota new battery - I'm seeing $1995 out there without core.
    • Are batteries from Toyota new or reman?
    Thanks

#1 CarmanNJ, Nov 8, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2017
  2. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
  3. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Register the VIN at http://www.toyota.com/owners to see the dealer service history and the original in service date.

There is no guarantee that you'll be able to find a dealer that will sell a battery over the Parts counter. If so, it will have a 1 year warranty. When installed by the dealer the warranty is 3 years. The only other alternative that includes new cells is 2k1toaster's kit.

4. ASG

ASG New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm sorry to say I just pulled the same code on my 2004 (112k miles). I feel your pain.

Does anyone have any insight on how a battery replacement, either Toyota or a remanufactured one, is affecting resale value when the time comes?

5. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I know there was a report that an insurance adjuster refused to consider a relatively new traction battery when valuing a vehicle after a wreck.
    A "remanufactured" battery is little better than your old one. It is all used parts and could fail at any time.
    IMHO the best alternative now is the new battery kit sold by @2k1Toaster . It is new modules for less cost than a new Toyota battery. There are a couple of threads. An expert, @ericbecky is running a kit through extensive testing and the results are very good.

Raytheeagle likes this.
  6. ericbecky

ericbecky Hybrid Battery Hero

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    First, you should peruse with Toyota.
    If they make an exception for you then you'll be good to go.

I seriously doubt you will be able to buy a new hybrid battery from Toyota without a core fee.

It's hard enough to get them to sell you one at all in the first place.

The aftermarket kit I'm running is $1,600. There isn't a core fee since you keep your core. This includes shipping to your door. It involves about 4 hours of assembly time.

Feel free to call me and discuss if you want more info about the kit or need help trying to convince your dealer to sell you a pack.

Prodigyplace and Raytheeagle like this.
  7. CarmanNJ

CarmanNJ Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    @ericbecky, how many miles do you now have on this after market battery from @2k1Toaster.

Also, I am looking for someone to do this in the NJ/NY area, know anyone?

Raytheeagle likes this.
  8. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Raytheeagle likes this.
  9. 2k1Toaster

2k1Toaster Brand New Prius Batteries

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    100% yes. Because you failed just so very slightly out of warranty, Toyota has been known to offer extremely generous discounts. Keep in mind that they have zero obligation to do anything. The second and/or mile you roll past that warranty expiration date, you are completely on your own. But the Toyota "Good Will Assistance" program can really help. Forum members over the years have reported better discounts and deals when they purchased the car from Toyota and did all maintenance at Toyota franchised dealers. In your case you purchased used, but if you did maintenance work there, that's good too. Doesn't hurt to ask, and sometimes they will escalate the case and through a week of phone calls you may get a reasonable quote.

There is over 10k miles on a couple of the packs installed in China already, no problems.

The kit is a DIY, just make sure whoever installs it is familiar with hybrids and/or high voltage. I don't think it is anymore difficult than a battery module swap, but even that is not something everyone can do.

I think the first step is to contact Toyota and see what they can do for you. If that doesn't work out we can explore new options. Also my kit is $1500 on sale until the next batch arrives currently looking like the end of next week. After those arrive, it will no longer be pre-order discount status, and the price will go back to the normal $1600.

Prodigyplace likes this.
  10. CarmanNJ

CarmanNJ Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Soo....I call Toyota HQ and they take all my information before saying that I need to get it diagnosed by a local toyota dealer. I tell them that I have to tow and tow back... why can they just take my word?...Anyways $120 later, the dealership tell me exactly what I told them, - P0A80, "...a replacement is needed". Cost to replace $4200 with labor. I check in with the parts dept, actual cost of battery $3010. " So its $1200 for labor?" I ask the service person, he did not want to respond..."Oh its what we charge he says"."But, can I not get the battery for $2k, the whole sale cost and what I can see online in a few dealerships that advertise as such?"...Calls later and asks me to reach out to Toyota HQ for Good Will.

Stand by for more from this saga.

11. 2k1Toaster

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Yes that's the first step.

Get diagnosed by a Toyota dealer, get a quote for a high amount. Then ask Toyota for a goodwill to discount that high amount. It may well be worth the diagnostic fee if they offer you a goodwill discount. If they don't then that's the gamble and it didn't pay off.

The $2K price you can only get from 2 dealership in the USA that I am aware of. They match their online pricing at the counter, only if you're local and there to pickup. Keep in mind if you buy over the parts counter most places won't even sell one to you, they just flat out refuse. If they do consent to sell you one, you will be charged an additional $1350 as a core charge that you get back when you return your old one in.

So first I'd let the goodwill potential coverage play out. If it comes in around the $2.5k installed mark, I'd jump on that. Otherwise you have options. For some reading material, feel free to click the link in my signature.

12. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes normally the dealer will not offer the goodwill, you have to call Toyota HQ and ask for it.
    You can also ask the dealer to make the phone call for you, but probably less effective and unless you pickled a major dealer with a lot of clout supporting you.

It is a saga taking some time to negotiate etc. One reason to go with other option if you just do not have tine and need to get on the road. If you have time you can keep trying.

13. ericbecky

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    If you find a dealer parts department willing to sell you a pack it will likely be close to $2,500 retail over the counter.

Any less than that is often the wholesale cost that is afforded shops who have an ongoing relationship with the dealer.

2k1Toaster likes this.
  14. CarmanNJ

CarmanNJ Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

@2k1Toaster, thanks for the response. The community here has been very helpful and supportive.

Exactly! 2.5K range I would gladly pay, else I'll do it my self. The local dealer 5 mi away may not play nice even though they advertise for the same price ($2011) online, pickup only; yet they quoted over 3k when I was at the counter, Bad! Sad! I challenged them on that price, but they said thats on their system. Oh! so their system and my browser are not the same??? Furthermore, I cannot buy online as there is no add to cart button, lol. pick up only it says. So I called another Toyota dealer parts counter about 75 mi away, as a backup. and they confirmed the price and indicated that if should order online and I can with their ADD TO CART button, and they will have it in 24 hrs. Funny thing is that the warehouse in closer to me, but they won't let me pick up there :).

Found one for $2070 at a dealership 75mi away. Just want to make sure it was built recently. Furthermore, got someone to install it for $200, if I want.

So the max I am out is $2500.

Attached Files:

15. 2k1Toaster

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Do be aware that the warranty is different on the exact same part if you buy it over the counter and install versus paying the stealership to install.

16. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
  17. ericbecky

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    For $200 you should let someone else do the job. That's a deal of they are competent/trustworthy.

The pack does not come fully assembled.
    It is not plug and play.

Be sure that ALL of the new components are used including cabling, nuts, and even the foam.

Also be sure that whoever installs it properly torques all the connectors. It is very important.

18. CarmanNJ

CarmanNJ Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Good news. Spoke with Toyota HQ and worked out a "GoodWill" deal - under $2000 after taxes includes installation and 3 yr warranty.
    HQ negotiated with the dealer bringing in the cost from $4200 to $2000. Thanks to all

#18 CarmanNJ, Nov 18, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2017
    m.wynn and wjtracy like this.
  19. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Who is the dealer?

20. CarmanNJ

CarmanNJ Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I would rather not say publicly at this time, give them a free ad or perhaps at least till next week, when I get them done and paid for.

Prodigyplace likes this.