1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Gen II BMW EV - the ActiveE

Discussion in 'EV (Electric Vehicle) Discussion' started by hill, Sep 24, 2011.

1. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    The mini cooper EV has been on the road for a couple years or so. Ok, so BMW didn't build the mini's EV guts - so maybe it's not exactly BMW's Gen I EV. And you can't buy one. They're only for lease ... in the neighborhood of $800/month. Additionally, the mini was in limited supply, and in limited markets. One of my co-workers leases one. Being a tiny car, the rear seat had to be removed to make room for batteries. BMW's at it again. For some time now, concepts, car shows and sneak previews were given for the ActiveE:

[​IMG]

Finally, it's being made available. Once again, BMW chose to somewhat sacrifice space to kinda-sorta retrofit EV guts into an ICE platform. The car isn't exactly built around an EV project - rather the drive system is put into BMW's 1 series.

BMW's ActiveE rolled out for lease

Still (and ironically), it's cost is a whole lot less than the mini. So, for about $500 a month, if you live in the limited roll out area, you can drive a BMW EV. Once again, lease only.

2. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney EditProfOptInfoCustomUser Title

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I wish the Prius had an obvious glide indicator.

I guess it's only a sales site, so it's not surprising the article doesn't really emphasize the value of gliding. They could have simply written "go into a glide mode" and then explained how it differs from coasting in a normal car. In fact, that paragraph is misleading since it suggests gliding is unusual, when it's actually a normal EV advantage.