1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Gen II codes PA80 P3021 P3022 Battery failure

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Trevthefox, Jan 31, 2014.

1. Trevthefox

Trevthefox New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hello prius family,

The hybrid owners worst fear just happened to me yesterday and I'm looking for your help and input. I've done some research online and saw that there are others that have had the same problem, so here it is.

My wife has an 06 Gen II prius with 160,000 miles (just out of CA warranty) and all of a sudden multiple warning lights appeared. The VSC light, yellow warning lamp, hybrid system failure, and check engine lights all came on and the car could barely move. It still starts and drives but the fan in the back for the battery (i'm guessing) blows like crazy. I've been very careful and have been driving super slow. I took it to a Japanese auto center expert (which got great reviews) because I always heard that the dealerships will get you. They told me the hybrid battery needs to be replaced which is over $3,000. I don't have that kind of money, but I was seeing that there could be other problems causing this failure.

When we drive it, the display screen shows that the hybrid battery still charges up which I thought wouldn't work at all. We also know that small 12 volt battery is towards the end of its life and could causing certain errors to pop up. I'm hoping that someone with experience could help me out, because I've seen anywhere from inverter pump to ecu needed to be replaced.

Here are the error codes:

C2300 actuator system malfunction

c2318 Low Voltage Error (Power supply malfunction)

P3000 Battery Control system

P0A80 Replace Hybrid Battery Pack

P3021 Battery Block 11 becomes weak

P3022 Battery Block 12 becomes weak

I'm debating on whether I should pay another $100 to have toyota look at it and hope for a different issue that doesn't require a $3000 battery job. If there are any other details that you need to help me out let me know and I can respond. If its the battery I'm thinking of just getting a reconditioned battery for $900 with installation and a 1 year warranty. Save some money. Thanks for all your help.

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Seeing your car is a 2006 with 160,000 miles, it wouldn't surprise me that the battery has failed. I personally wouldn't want to spend $3000 for a battery with a car that's at 160k miles. After investing $3000, it would be very difficult to let go of the car if another expensive problem arises, it will then become a money pit. But if you can get a battery for $900, even if another expensive problem comes up later, all you'll be out is $900 and easily decide to part with the car.

If it is your battery, I really like the idea of a $900 reconditioned battery with 1 year warranty. Make sure the warranty is with a reputable company. I see lots of listings on craigslist with warranty blah blah blah, I don't trust any of those listings.

Trevthefox likes this.
  3. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Your car does need a new traction battery given the codes listed above. Yes, you can try a remanufactured or used battery.

Trevthefox likes this.
  4. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The Toyota dealer is no wiser in determining your problem than the shop that you brought the car to. They use a code reader and get the DTC's that the car has logged. The car's different computers will pinpoint the problem with the DTC's. The shop doesn't really get involved until you decide to fix the problem.

I would save your $100 and use it towards the replacement battery.

Trevthefox likes this.
  5. Trevthefox

Trevthefox New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    thanks for all your input. I'm going to try and speak with Toyota customer service and maybe get an "out of warranty claim" and maybe they can help out. If not, I'm going the reconditioned battery route.

6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    all the best!(y)

7. Trevthefox

Trevthefox New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Update on the battery situation. I went ahead and got a reconditioned battery. Paid $1,150 with installation and came with a 2 year unlimited mile warranty. So far everything works good and the "triangle of death" has disappeared. Hopefully nothing else goes wrong. We've only had the car for 15 months, but we still love it.

Prius_Cub likes this.
  8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    at 160k, you're walking the tightrope!:p

9. Trevthefox

Trevthefox New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Two

anything i should be looking out for?

10. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    nah, hopefully you'll get 300k out of her. great price on the battery. other than small stuff, the inverter and transaxle are the expensive components. and the ice. there are a ton of gen II taxi's with 3 and 400,000 miles on 'em. all the best!(y)

Trevthefox likes this.