1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Gen II larger tires, not wider?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by rwernst, Nov 19, 2009.

1. rwernst

rwernst Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    My odometer is off by about 5% reading high. I'm ready for new tires and wondered if I can go to a taller tire size and/or taller aspect ratio.

2005 standard/base Prius with keyless entry thing. Stock alloy wheels, standard tires are 185-65x15, can I go to 195-65, or 185-70 (if I can find them)? Can I go larger?)?

And yes, I know this will affect acceleration, but I'm not worried about that. I do NOT want to go wider as they tend to be more expensive (I'm on a budget), and usually will reduce my mpg.

And I don't want to spend money on new wheels.

Thanks!

2. brick

brick Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    What are you basing your measurement on? When I compare my odometer readings to my GPS (Garmin) trip mileage after a couple hundred miles of driving the difference is negligible with the OEM tire size.

3. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    There are many tire size calculators on the web. Here's one:
    Tire Size Calculator - Discount Tire Direct

Based upon that, you will see that the difference between 185/65R-15 and 195/65R-15 is ~2%. 185/70R-15 will be ~3% larger.

Also, there's some variation between tire brands so not all 185/65R-15 will be exactly the same diameter and circumference.