1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Gen II or Camry Hybrid 2007?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by AllenZ, Jun 6, 2014.

1. AllenZ

AllenZ Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Four

I am in the market for a second Gen II, but the price/mileage/age of Gen II does not show any good value at all.

I bought my current 2004 back in 2010 for only $8K at 105K miles with full options. Four years later, if I want to buy 2008 at similar mileage and options, the price is at $11-12K range, plus half a model year late. Gas price obviously played an important role.

While looking at alternatives, the C still cost more than $14K. But strangely, Camry Hybrid of 2007 only cost $9K. I know the Camry Hybrid can only have mpg of 38, but that's OK because I still have the majority gas savings. Similar story for Hybrid Highlander ($10K), Lexus RX400h ($12K), or even Lexus GS450h at $20K.

Since I already have the 2004 Gen II, the second car will not put on lots of miles (8000/year). The mpg will not be all that important, hence a perfect case for alternative.

My question is, are there any major issues that will cost money compare to Gen II, especially hybrid components? I guess used battery and engine will probably harder to find due to less popular than Prius. Anything else? Suggestions and comments are very much welcome.

Thanks!

Allen

#1 AllenZ, Jun 6, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2014
  2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i can't think of any, and offsetting the lower mpg's is a much quieter, more comfortable vehicle. we loved our '08 and now a '13. all the best!(y)

3. Kurt Weiske

Kurt Weiske Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I drove a 2002 Camry for 12 years/180K and loved it. Comfortable ride, reliable, dependable and reliable (did I mention reliable?) in 12 years it only failed to start ONCE (flakey starter that started 5 minutes later) and got to the garage under it's own power. Parts were cheap and everyone works on them.

I'm sure the hybrid system adds some complexity, but the base platform should be reliable.

4. usnavystgc

usnavystgc Die Hard DIYer and Ebike enthusiast.

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    No, the Camry Hybrids are easily as reliable as the Gen II's. Plus, as bisco said, the ride is much better.