1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Gen II Power-Steering Problems

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by BoltonJoe, Jun 16, 2010.

1. BoltonJoe

BoltonJoe Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Yesterday I posted a long entry in the thread "03 Power Steering," started by phlsphr in 2007.

However, I own a 2008, Gen II Prius, and I had severe power-steering problems during a recent long drive from Massachusetts to North Carolina and back.

Here's a short recap: On the way South, my wife and I took a break from the horrors of I-81 to do a short length of the Blue Ridge Parkway. Getting back to the interstate, we descended via a small, windy mountain road.

Back on I-81, the power steering stopped working -- no warning lights. Suddenly I found myself steering manually. At the "Welcome to Tennessee" rest area, stopped, I found Page 171 of the manual, which warned against overheating the EPS, saying that it could prevent overheating by shutting down. Remedy: let car rest for 10 minutes.

We did that, and resumed our trip.

On the way home, the dreaded Red Triangle of Death suddenly appeared, right at the West Virginia line. Dealer in Mass. suggested tightening fuel cap. Later, the "P/S" warning light also appeared.

We stopped car at rest area inside Pennsylvania, opened hood and waited for 20 minutes. When we started up again, without air-conditioning, the warning lights disappeared. We proceeded home, after a night in Pennsylvania, without air-conditioning. No problems.

I reported incidents to Toyota, got an incident number, and the car is now at my dealer. BTW, the car hit 61,000 while on the trip, but I have a Toyota Platinum Extended Warranty, so I should be covered.

Any other Prius owners having power-steering problems?

Thanks,

--Joe

2. Eoin

Eoin Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    No problems at all and I have 110,000 miles on my 2005.

3. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hi Joe,

Your power steering problem is unusual. Your post says that you continued to drive without AC. Was this at your choice, or was the AC system inoperative?

BTW, the power steering motor and the power steering ECU are both located within the passenger compartment, near the steering column. Therefore, opening the hood would not help to cool those particular components...

There are a number of possible problems that will result in loss of power assist. They include malfunction of the torque sensor, the power steering motor, the power steering ECU, a temperature sensor error, or a bad relay. Hopefully a DTC will be logged so that the Toyota tech can figure out what has happened.

I agree that your problem should be covered under your extended warranty. Pls let us know the outcome.

4. BoltonJoe

BoltonJoe Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Patrick:

First of all: The dealer called about a half-hour ago. He said they were ordering "a new computer" and that the replacement would be covered by my warranty. I don't know which computer he was referring to (forgot to ask).

Second: Thanks for the info. Where else would I find out that the EPS system was located next to the steering column--inside the passenger compartment? Actually, since the assistance is rendered to the operation of steering, it does make sense.

Third: The air-conditioning operated well. However, I was afraid that it might be putting too much of a load on the electrical systems and would, perhaps, contribute to the overheating of the EPS.

Anyway, the dealer agreed that the situation was extraordinary, and the situation has, I hope, been resolved.

(Interesting hypothetical question: The first P/S failure occurred right around 60K, when I think the conventional warranty would have run out. Does that mean that Toyota would not have covered the replacement?)

Once again, thanks to PriusChat for its technical advice, and for helping me save money on my extended warranty. I was beginning to think that it was a foolish expense, since this car has been, until this trip, the best vehicle I've ever owned.

--Joe

5. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hi Joe,

Thanks for the update. I assume that the power steering ECU is being replaced. If you find out something different pls let us know.

The steering system would be covered by the 3 year / 36K mile warranty so its good that you have the extended warranty coverage.

1 person likes this.