1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Gen II problem

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by 99009903, Mar 17, 2012.

1. 99009903

99009903 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Dealer cannot forcast cost of repair because when something is fixed ... the repair causes an unrelated and addition failed.

Steering failed causing the wheels not to turn. Cost over $2000.00.
    This repair immediately cause the spiral cable to fail, causing an airbag failed and brake failure.

Dealer wants over 400.00 to replace the spiral cable in the steering wheel and cannot forcastcost of fixing the brakes.

The car has 18,000 miles on it. It's only issue was a scrapeing sound coming from the steering wheel
    Before the steering failed. There was never a brake or airbag issue until the dealer started repairs.

I have sinced learned that there have been over 1 million rack and pinion Prius failers, headlights that go out while driving and the known tire issues.

Any suggestions. The dealer cannot estimate the final cost of repair. They just want a blank check to fix the car. They have had the car for over three weeks and won't release the car unless I pay them 2000.00 for the rack and pinion. Car now steers but cannot be driven because of the brakes.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
    Richard j

2. vinnie97

vinnie97 Whatever Works

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Re: Your complaints/disappointments with your C?

There's no way you have a Prius c. It would be better to post the above in the appropriate forum (I'll assume you have a Gen III 2010 or 2011).

3. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Source? 1 MILLION?

As for headlights, well, the 06-09 Priuses w/(D4R) HIDs can be problematic. They seem to be a lot shorter lived than then the D2R systems on the 04-05 HID equipped Priuses (http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-ii-...ius-owners-w-hids-how-long-did-they-last.html).

What are the "known tire issues"?

If you have a legitimate safety defect, file a safety complaint at http://www.safercar.gov/.

4. Rokeby

Rokeby Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Not exactly:

June 1, 2011
    Toyota says a problem with electric power steering is prompting a recall
    of about 52,000 Priuses from 2001-3 in the United States, part of a global
    action affecting 106,000 vehicles.

Steering Difficulty Prompts Recall of 52,000 Toyota Priuses - NYTimes.com

It was the Gen I steering rack, sans pinion:
    Luscious Garage | Gen 1 Prius Steering Rack Failure

Known tire issues involve the inevitability of their having to be
    replaced due normal wear and tear...

Just like every other car on the road.

5. seilerts

seilerts Battery Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    If the steering fails, then it is a virtual certainty that the clockspring (spiral cable) will break. It was probably broken already.

Why it would affect the brakes, I have no idea, other than someone messed something up while fixing the steering.

Ask them for the brake codes before consenting to that repair.

6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    give 'em the blanc check, but only leave one dollar in the account.

1 person likes this.
  7. cnschult

cnschult Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hawaii is not that big, they'll find him. :mod:

We once had to replace the steering wheel rack of our camry, we weren't happy spending that much money, they told us that to keep a rack operating smoothly for a long time never ever ever turn the steering wheel when the car is stopped or moving ever so slightly as this puts huge stresses on the steering component.

This is confirmed by the fact that it takes more effort to turn the steering wheel of a parked car than a moving car, I've followed their advice and have never had to replace a steering rack since.

8. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Hi Richard. That's the thing I most fear about owning a Prius, having some problem that I have to rely on the dealer to fix.

I think it's a little different in continental US, where for example there's so many Prius's in places like CA that there are plenty of independent workshops that can work on them. But in Hawaii you mightn't have so many options other than the dealer. It's also like that here in Australia, not so many Prius's here, so for any kind of major repair the dealer's probably going to be the only option. Personally I've had some pretty ordinary experiences with my dealer service dept and try to avoid them as much as possible. So far I've been lucky and had no failures, but I do feel your pain.

9. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Richard- Sorry, sounds like you have some probs. Was this your car or did you buy it used? The problems you are having are not typical Prius 06 is a problem-free car for the most part (except the HID headlights). I hate to say sounds like the car may have been exposed to the elements?

10. fixit123

fixit123 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The Spiral cable was damaged when they replaced the rack. You have to remove the steering shaft with the wheels straight ahead and stop the steering wheel from turning. This usually done by inserting the seat belt around the wheel and buckling it.

The Spiral cable is timed, usually wound all the to the left and 2.5 turns back right. Its marked on the clock spring.

You get it out time by not following this procedure. The first time you turn the wheel to the extremes it will snap the Spiral cable..

Not a result of the bad rack, a result of sloppy workmanship by not performing proper procedure.

Refuse to pay for Spiral cable they damaged. It was fine before. Ask them to explain how a bad rack breaks the Spiral cable.

11. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    ... as I recall, IIRC, there was a steering recall for 2004/2005 vintage but I did not think that applied to 2006. Possibly for early 2006? Not my car I know.

12. seilerts

seilerts Battery Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    If there is no connection between the steering wheel and the wheels, then there is nothing to stop the steering wheel from turning e.g. the driver trying to figure out why the steering doesn't work.

There was a voluntary recall covering the intermediate shaft through early 2006. BUT! That is Toyota USA. Hawaii is a different company.

http://priuschat.com/forums/gen-ii-...e-campaign-steering-shaft-assembly-issue.html

1 person likes this.