1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Gen III braking problem - how bad is it really?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by spinkao, Feb 7, 2010.

1. spinkao

spinkao New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have a little question for all gen III owners who owned a gen II Prius before. Could you please compare the infamous gen III braking issue to the same misbehaviour of the gen II? Is it the same, is it worse? I know the issue well from my gen II but never experienced it in a gen III (as I only had a short test drive in it) and I would like to get things into proportion a bit if I can, in order to better understand how bad the problem really is :). I would be grateful for any relevant answers (and no flamming or trolling please :)). Thank you!

2. DaveShepherd

DaveShepherd Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I own a 2005 (now with my daughter at college) and a 2010. I noticed the braking characteristics in the Gen II (and learned to drive with them), and I've noticed them in the Gen III. However, I have not really noticed a difference.

I've had my 2010 since August, and it is the only car I drive on a daily basis. I've driven it in all kinds of conditions and weather. No perceptible difference, in my experience.

3. mad-dog-one

mad-dog-one Prius Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    ----USA----
    I purchased a Gen III at the end of December and have been unable to detect the braking problem in the first 1,500 miles of driving. Mine was manufactured in November 2009 and is supposeto be before the software fix.

4. Airbalancer

Airbalancer Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    If it was not for all the BS post out there, I would not even know some people have a problem with their brakes

5. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Remember the first article written about this? It came from a Detroit publication saying the brakes in the new Prius fail and asking if this puts pedestrians lives at risk. I titled my blog entry about it "Spreading FUD", knowing that was something certain enthusiasts would capitalize on. Sure enough, they along with others milked it, playing up the Fear, Uncertainty, and Doubt the topic of braking can stir. Rather than a constructive approach, we got emotional responses growing to the level of hysteria.

Looking back, what really gets me is all the intentional misleading and blatantly incorrect information. That only led to confusion and blowing the situation way out of proportion. When you know that some of us have been driving the new Prius for 7 months now without any trouble and new owners are parking theirs with the fear of having an accident, you know that rationale thought is no longer happening.

We're not all going to die. In fact, with all the raised awareness, the next step for hybrid market growth could actually be easier. We no longer have to point out the new Prius. People are now well aware that its more than just a size & horsepower increase. It's sad though that so many emerged with attempts to damage reputation.

2 people like this.
  6. Fstr911

Fstr911 Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    III
    I've not noticed it on my Gen III - 6500 miles.

And I don't question those that have experienced the braking issue. Since Toyota has identified the cause as software, and several report no issues, I have to think that the problem manifests itself only under certain conditions (i.e. bumpy roads, potholes, etc).

I also have to think that a software update is on the horizon for those of us affected.

In the meantime I think I'll just shut down the car to reboot it every 5 or 10 miles. :~)

7. silverfog

silverfog New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I drove a 2004 until June this year when I changed to a 2010. I must admit that, when it occurs, the braking phenomenon is much more noticeable. In fact I did not experience it until winter with the combination of a slippery road, very low speed and a pothole. It prompted a momentary feeling of alarm which I had not felt in my 2004 -- but the emphasis is on momentary.
    To the annoyance of many on this forum, I do not regard the phenomenon as serious or inherently dangerous. However I can see the possibility of panic causing an irrational driver reaction, like releasing the brake.

1 person likes this.
  8. lonestar

lonestar New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I have not owned a Gen II and cannot speak to the difference. However, I have driven a Gen III (2010) now for over 3000 miles and have never noticed a problem. In our locale we have had an abnormally wet winter, and I am used to driving the Prius on gravel, country roads with slippery conditions and many potholes.

I believe that the problem being seen is dependent upon the type of experience that you have in braking a vehicle. I am used to driving a pickup over pastureland that is many times slippery from dew or in treacherous muddy, sloppy conditions. Therefore, I have developed a very "active" foot on the brake peddle in order to control the pickup manually. After listening to Toyota, you can push through the "soft" spot in the brake pedal and still get an active response in the braking of the 2010 Prius. When you hit these special highway conditions that cause the lapse between the two braking systems, if you lull in that "dead" zone, then you will notice the problem more easily.

I do not mean to demean the driving ability of people who primarily drive on smooth, paved roads. However, my belief is that you will see the problem more if you brake a certain way on the brake pedal.

1 person likes this.
  9. FireEngineer

FireEngineer Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Drove a 2005 until June of 2009, switched to a 2010. Same issue, only difference is the 2010 feels a bit more numb in the brake pedal whereas the 2005 had more feel as to control. But that is feeling, the brakes act the same and they stop the car. To me a non-issue.

Wayne

1 person likes this.
  10. Stangmansteve

Stangmansteve New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I agree...people blow things way out of proportion...I mean the Prius's have far more safety features then my Mustang has, for example the mustang has no ABS, no traction control, and no track loc, (limited slip), all running through a T5 manual. (old school)

So yeah Safety? my car is a rolling coffin compared to the Prius...do I get into accidents all the time? NO. The message is that you need to rely on yourself and YOU are in control of you're cars...don't think of it the other way around. So I say this with all confidence that you're cars are perfectly sound in every way possible, and yes you have a chance (small chance) that you're car can loose a bit of breaking performance for a split second...the best safety device is you and your ability to drive.

3 people like this.
  11. georgew

georgew New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have a 2010 and have been questioning the brake pause since the first week I've had the car.

I've never experienced the problem in another Prius from an other model year, but if you experience the following at it's worse, then it is the same..

• Complete lack of control for approx 1 second
    • Pushed back, jerked around in car during that time.
    It is really not a pleasant feeling. I've learned to release my brake prematurely going over those bumps but every once in awhile a bump I won't see will catch me off guard. Really wouldn't want me or my passenger to be holding a cup of coffee at that moment as it would probably end up all over ourselves.

12. DaveShepherd

DaveShepherd Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    So if not for the braking "problem," the cup of coffee held in the hand while going over a bump would not spill?

:confused:

13. Anabel

Anabel New Member

Model:
    II
    Is the "B" driving mode a solution for this issue?

14. Tom183

Tom183 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I beg to differ - we ARE all going to die.
    So many Americans today die peacefully in their sleep after long, full lives - when is the government going to get off their asses and do something about that?!? Peaceful sleep kills more aged Americans every year than Al-Queada has killed in the past two decades! We need our elected officials and the media to wake up to the real threats.

15. bighouse

bighouse Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    "No one gets out alive"

16. georgew

georgew New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Heard me right. In my car, the brake pause (at its worse) is very sudden, with a whip-lash feeling.

17. mitch672

mitch672 Technology Geek

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Having driven all THREE Prius generations, I can say the vehicles are getting better and improving. The Gen3 switching between regenrative and hydraulic brakes may need some tweaking, but to me, I really don't notice any difference. I drove my 2004 Prius to the dealer 3 weeks ago, and drove out with my Gen3, really havn't had any experience with this "issue"

Mitch

18. donalmilligan089

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Hey let the do gooders rail against faulty brakes to the max .Maybe some will sell cheap and I can upgrade my 05 Or even keep my little jewel and have 2 prii.

19. mbarrows

mbarrows Illini Bird

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    As previously posted, I had a 2005 Prius and purchased a 2010 on December 30th (manufacture date 11-27-09). I have experienced the brake "issue" once on the 2010 when I was slowing down before an intersection and went over manhole covers. To me, it feels almost the same as what I've experienced before on the 2005 and I posted and feel it was pretty much a non-issue.

Having said that, when Toyota recalls the 2010 next week for this braking "issue," I will have the software upgrade by my dealer (flashing the braking ECU). I don't know if I'll go in right away, however; I'll let them practice on a few others before they touch mine. ;)

20. DaveShepherd

DaveShepherd Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Okay, I think this is really beyond the pale now.

Many have described a disconcerting feeling of very brief loss of control or lack of braking when the transition occurs.

Nobody has seriously used the term "whiplash" to describe what happens. If you are having a "whiplash-like" feeling, then something else is wrong, I promise.