1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

GEN III Engine Block Heater Installation

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Jensent, Aug 8, 2009.

1. Jensent

Jensent Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Can someone with experience provide information on the EBH for my 2010. Can it be done with a minimum of part removal or better yet none?
    The posts I have seen all seem to be for the Gen II.
    Im located 80 mi+/_ SW of the chicago Loop so maybe the Fire Engineer can give me a shout.
    Thanks
    Tom

2. dschur

dschur New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I also sent FireEngineer a shout (PM) looking for the same help on a 2010. I'm in Naperville (about 30 mi SW). Are you interested in meeting maybe at my place or FireEngineers if he up for showing us?

3. JRitt

JRitt Bio-Medical Equip. Tech

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    FireEngineer will prob come over and do it for you. I think he has that offer out there/

4. FireEngineer

FireEngineer Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Hey, calm down guys.

The heater install on the Gen III is a mixed bag. It is easier to get to from below, except a wire harness retainer must be unbolted to be able to move the harness to position the heater horizontal to insert. Other than that, the cord must be kept away from the exhaust manifold and then routed up front. Though it won't be the 10 minute job of a Gen II, it should be maybe 30 minutes tops with a little more practice.

And yes if you PM me, I'll generally be more than willing to come to you within 7 hours of Chicago. Any longer and I'll have to arrange a road trip.

Wayne

5. kawita

kawita Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    My engine block heater should be shipping this week, I could meet in Naperville.

6. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Wayne, any chance you can make it to Alaska? :D Just kidding. Just curious, do you recommend a cheap source for the heater or does PC have the best price going?

Peter

7. OZ132

OZ132 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Wayne, I used the Link to go to the Chicago Prius Group and find it interesting. I can, however, not find anything on the website about how to join? I live in Northern Indiana, between La Porte and Michigan City.
    -Oz

8. FireEngineer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    There is a contact us link on the web site. Or just email us at chicagopriusgroup, at, sbcglobal.com. Just shoot us an email and we'll put you on the member roles.

Wayne

9. FireEngineer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    And with all the Chicago area Prius looking for an install, it looks like it's time for a ChicagoPriusGroup group block heater install party.

Wayne

10. Jensent

Jensent Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I will order the heater today. The offer from dschur to meet in Naperville would be great for me. We all need to get our heater and agree on time and place. Naperville is only 45 min. and it keeps me out of most city traffic.
    Thanks
    Tom

11. aapoppa

aapoppa formerly known as "Popoff"

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Any plans for a return visit to western NC and the Boone area?

I'll be spending Thanksgiving in Plainfield and could do it at that time but would like to have it before then if at all possible.

12. FireEngineer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I'll be swinging through the Virginia/West Virginia area this weekend. But Thanksgiving in Plainfield is good too, your choice.

Wayne

13. aapoppa

aapoppa formerly known as "Popoff"

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    What part of Virginia?

I'm not sure if I can get one that quick, but if I can and you're close enough, I can meet up with you somewhere along the way.

14. kawita

kawita Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Just got my EBH. It has instruction in English and French as its a Toyota Canada part, (still part # PU140-00900)
    Actually, the instructions are for a 2007 Lexus LS460.

I sent a message to the Chicago Prius group, looking forward to installing this and meeting up with others.

Wayne, good luck on the East Coast this weekend.

15. dschur

dschur New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Yours had instructions? (mine didn't)

I got the same Part number (and the dual-language French)

16. Jensent

Jensent Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I got mine today. Toyota of Canada. Part#PU140-00900 English/French labeling. No instructions.
    Is the plan still to meet in Naperville? That sounded like a winner. Does everyone have their EBH?
    Someone has to organize!
    Thanks
    Tom

17. dschur

dschur New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Hi Tom, I don't know if the plan was to meet in Naperville, it was just a possibility. I'll go wherever is easiest for Wayne (who is now traveling on the east coast). My driveway and garage are certainly open, but it should be Wayne's call.

My garage might be a bit difficult for ramps as it has an epoxy floor that can be a bit slippery, the driveway is a good slope too (concrete). I do live on a fairly huge culdesac (about 150ft diameter) that would house about 50 prii though (that's be a site for the neighbors :) ). I have ramps, chocks, and a floor jack that could help the cause.

Dave

18. Jensent

Jensent Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Wayne
    PM sent
    Tom

19. grantb

grantb New Member

Get a chance to try the Gen 3 in the snow yet? I'm also in AK, considering the gen 3. I had a Gen 2, and wasn't pleased with the behavior in the snow.. namely, I didn't have traction control, but when the car detected slippage it would stutter.

Thanks,
    Grant

20. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Yes, you had TC, all Gen2 Prius cars have it. It really wasn't TC, it was "protect the PSD." A "real" TC system will apply the brake to the spinning wheel. The Prius TC just cuts power. The TC in my FJ applies the brake to the spinning wheel

Depending on how aggressive the TC was, it could leave you helpless at an intersection once the light turned green, especially if one front wheel was on bare pavement and the other wheel on ice

The 2004-2006 Prius appeared to have the most aggressive TC. On "all season" tires, my '04 was completely helpless at an icy intersection once the light turned green. I damn near got creamed at an intersection at Bishop Grandin and Waverly in Winnipeg, due to the car just stopping in 4 inches of snow.

With studded aggressive winter tires, my Prius was much improved on snow and ice. I had a chance to test drive a new '08 last year when there was still a bit of snow on the ground, and that Prius had much better TC response