1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Gen III Inverter Coolant Pump in a Gen II?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by sub3marathonman, Oct 29, 2010.

1. sub3marathonman

sub3marathonman Active Member

I've read pages and pages about it, but I don't find an answer.

I know the Gen III is a new and improved version. I guess it has two bearings instead of just one as on the Gen II. But it also has more complex controlling issues over the Gen II.

But I was wondering if it was possible to somehow put the Gen III Inverter Coolant Pump into a Gen II Prius. Could the Gen III be set to behave as the Gen II and always be on? Or could you somehow fabricate a little control wiring kit that would let it operate as it would in a Gen III?

Awhile back I thought Bob Wilson was going to try it, or maybe hobbit, but I never read any more about it.

Thanks for the help.

2. V8Cobrakid

V8Cobrakid Green Handyman

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    there are people who are working on (because it's been done) turning the car into an EV... programing hybrid ecu's.. or falsing their signals and such.

i'm sure Somebody could help on this topic. i've heard it's a higher voltage, and probably has it's own inputs from the hybrid ecu.

i'm sure there is a way to make a thermostate with a multi stage controller that will feed the info needed. (since the genII doesn't pump control in any fashion) i would imagine making the inverter that powers the pump would be the hard part. if the pump is simply a pump, then you would have to build your own control + power.

i haven't heard enough about the genIII setup to give more than my simple .02 cents.

from what i've heard.. it's probably going to be a cost/time issue.

fyi, i want to see this happen already. i would love to swap my pump when it goes out. (it will be a while since it was just replaced)

better yet.. i'll keep it as a backup...

3. V8Cobrakid

V8Cobrakid Green Handyman

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    btw.. i was thinking ice water pump...

now i'm not sure what applies!

btw.. i don't see why the inverter pump would be much better....