1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Gen III Material Quality - Cheap?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by DeanFL, Jun 3, 2009.

1. DeanFL

DeanFL 2010 owner - 1st Prius

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I think this topic is new-thread worthy.

I'm not a Prius owner...yet, have V on order. I drive a Lexus RX300 right now (20MPG..) BTW Pearl White, easy to maintain and not a girly color...back to topic>

To the dealer today - closer look and test drive of the Gen III. I will not cover driving impressions here (can't add much to other's posts). BUT - I was quite disappointed in 'material quality'. Specifically the metal - mainly on the doors. They don't seem to have a quality feel when opening. The demo was a black II. When I closed the drivers door, I actually saw the outside metal skin quiver. Middle of the door under the horiz ridge. I pushed the metal in and was very surprised as to the gauge.
    This is a 3,000+lb car.... I went to my Lexus next door, and almost no give. To a new Corolla; some give, but not too much. And sitting inside the Gen III the door panels, esp the top area under the window - again feels thin and "gives". I won't complain about textures etc, but concerned that Toyota may have cut corners on material quality - others areas of the car seem "chintzy" - Now I'm worried about the yet -unseen- V leather. I mentioned the metal-give and cheap feel to the sales rep, and he agreed - couldn't defend nor answer...

I will end up spending $30K and now have a bit of a queasy feeling - Am I over-reacting??? Or was weight-savings such an issue (as in the NASA Shuttle) that corners were cut.

I wasn't able to do the door-push test in the Gen II, but for some reason - the II just looks to be more "substantial" to me....

2. Husker4theSpurs

Husker4theSpurs Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    If you had owned or driven a Gen 1 or Gen 2 Prius, you might notice that the Gen 3 is actually a big step up ... not nearly as chintzy ... that being said, it's no Lexus for sure even though you're coming from an older model.

1 person likes this.
  3. Manksgloob

Manksgloob Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The body panels on the Iconic were also quite thin and had a lot of give. However, in my experience, nothing due to this exact issue has come of it. The panels have held up just fine, and the dents and dings that did happen (I'll find you someday, rogue shopping cart! :mad:) would have happened regardless.

So I personally wouldn't worry about it. Just sit back and look forward to getting your shiny new 2010.

1 person likes this.
  4. Lafferty

Lafferty Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I can see why you would think it's "cheap" compared to your Lexus.

My previous car was a 2001 Pontiac Grand Prix GT, so the Gen III Package II feels luxurious to me.

1 person likes this.
  5. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I currently own a 2006 and while I thought it was actually pretty nice materials for a car you could get for $22k, after I sat in the 2010 back last February at the Priority Event I was amazed at the improvement in the look and feel of the build materials. As others have mentioned, while it will not be buttery leather like in a Lexus etc, I think you'll still be quite pleased.

6. mirak

mirak New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    I did not notice the metal, but I did not like the interior plastic. Felt rough (I know it's supposed to have a "brushed" finish) and also brittle (maybe I'm just perceiving that because of the finish). Seems like it will collect a lot of dust (I guess thank goodness for the plasmacluster).

The stereo and climate control console buttons also felt a bit flimsy, and the warping of the climate control console is unappealing. Straight lines, please.

I've not sat is a leather-equipped model, but I'm growing a bit concerned by reports that the leather feels cheap as well.

I think the finishing of my 2006 HiHy is much better.

I know the hybrid tech is amazing, but if you cut too many corners on finishing, paying high 20s for a mid-size car gets a little crazy.

7. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't know about the door metal, but I got weird and looked at the seat, rails and mounts .... and they are Beefy, heftier than the Gen2!

8. ronhowell

ronhowell Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Saving weight in any engineered structure costs money, take it from me as an old aerospace engineer, where the prevailing mantra was often summarized as "Simplicate and add lightness".

To get the kind of mileage the G3 Prius is exhibiting requires a strong focus on weight saving throughout the entire vehicle, which becomes a constant battle for the engineering staff to provide, when the marketing mavens are constantly yelling "give me luxury together with all the gizmos".

Much more detailed weight and stress engineering goes into the design of modern automobiles, especially with respect to crushable structures for crash survivability. Strength and lightness are key variables, within the cost contraints dictated by the market and competition. What might appear to be "flimsy" from an unscientific test, is so because that is the way it is designed. Door panels are not designed to be bullet-proof, except perhaps in Presidential limos; which is why those resemble tanks and get maybe 6 MPG tops. Vehicle empty weight will become increasingly important to fuel efficiency as the price of fuel increases.

Take comfort knowing that Toyota have got this design process down to a fine art, with a lot of scientific backing. Making efficient use of resources is what they do well.

9. accordingly

accordingly Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    People tend to forget that this is a $22k car, which is really a $18k car with a hybrid motor system. Overpriced bolt on accessories like nav and leather or gimmicky electronics isn't going to change that. It's a good value for $22k or $23k, but I agree once you start pushing $30k it loses its luster quite a bit.

10. equake

equake Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Thats why I'm not inclined on getting the models with leather and sticking with cloth seats knowing that the leather grade in the Pri is going to be of a lower quality.

Honda is similar in that way but the Acura's don't have that great a leather either

11. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Nothing new. The rear body in the Gen 2 is flexible and you can push it with your thumb. The reason why it's so thin is because they're using ultra high tensile steel. They can use a thinner piece of steel (thus makes the car lighter) while achieving equal rigidity.

So yes it may feel flimsy but it's more due to the thin sheetmetal rather than rigidity.

12. a priori

a priori Canonus Curiosus

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Dean,

I have a Prius V, and I've enjoyed it now for 10 days. I came from a 2007 Prius Pkg #6, which included all the toys then available. My previous three cars were fully equipped Nissan Maximas (and one Altima, too).

My initial feeling stepping from my Gen2 to the Gen3 was that the fit and finish were great. I really liked by Gen2, but the Gen3 appeared better to me because some aspects of the dash were simplified (meaning less chance for rattles) and the doors likewise seemed simpler (fewer parts). This can give an impression of (or show) "low cost." It certainly shows both less weight and more thought. I believe my perspective has been entirely tied in to the notions of increased space, increased fuel economy and increased (broader) consumer appeal that have driven the Toyota engineers to develop this Gen3 model. For that reason, I may not see things the way you do (or, the way you or others may say truly exist!).

I will tell you that the Prius V is unique among the 2010 Prius models because of the way the steering is tuned and because of the 17" wheels and low-profile, wide-stance tires. When combined with the Power Mode, these things give the Prius a very different feel. Maybe not 3-series material, but certainly a good kick in the pants. And if you tire of it, or you don't need it, you just turn it off and go back to getting 50+ MPGs.

If the gauge of the door is thinner, I don't see or feel it. What I noticed was that the car was much quieter on the road. And it certainly wasn't due to the tire change!

If the door panels seem chintzy, I don't see that, because I see that they are less subject to rattling.

If you are concerned about people's complaints about the leather, please look to the source of the complaints. I don't see those complaints coming from current/prior Prius owners (unless they NEVER liked the leather), because I am one who feels the leather is as good or better than what I had three years ago. Really, if I could get the other components without the leather, I'd consider doing that and then taking the car to a third-party upholsterer. Instead, I'll enjoy the leather I have, and if it turns out not to last as long as I intend to keep the car, I'll then spend the money to get new leather.

Overall, I feel like the build quality is every bit of what I had in the 2007, if not better. Of course, 700 miles won't tell the story, and I'll need to find out over time. I've bet heavily on Toyota quality to carry this one through. Not everyone will take my side of that bet, but I can't think of many companies I'd trust to this level.

Please don't read my response as that of a nutty Toyota flag-waiver. I just have an appreciation for what I'm buying. I am not getting the appointments of a Lexus or a Mercedes, and I am not getting the superior suspension, road feel or outrageous engine response of a top-end European sport-touring sedan. Instead, I am getting what I expect -- the car by which to measure other cars when it comes to sustainability, reliability, fuel economy, gadgets-for-the-buck, and interior space over exterior space.

You may simply not be comfortable in the Prius after having come from your Lexus. That isn't "wrong" or "bad" or anything other than how you feel about it. I just wouldn't put too much stock in anyone else's view of it. If there are people you know and trust who have more experience in the Prius, then rely more on their words than mine or a salesman's.

When you start spending close to $30,000 on a car, you'd better be pleased with your purchase. If the elements that make the Prius what it is are not the things you most enjoy (or require) in a car, perhaps you will be better served by leaving the money in the bank until you find a car superior (in your view) to the RX300 you now drive.

3 people like this.
  13. DeadPhish

DeadPhish Senior Member

Outer Banks of NC.. Retired to play golf and poker
    Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Precisely. I've said a hundred times that a Prius is a Matrix with a hybrid system. That's it.

14. Argyle

Argyle New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Well put. And that is exactly what I told my salesperson. "$3000 jump for the IV with leather? Let's buy a couple of cows and we can have seats _and_ steak!"

cow.jpg

15. DeanFL

DeanFL 2010 owner - 1st Prius

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I'm the guy that opened this thread a few hours back.

Since then, I see we've had a good number of fine folks here contributing. Taking their valuable time to provide a range of facts, perceptions, and specific information - and all very good stuff. This is exactly why a forum as this is such an outstanding resource. The old saying "all of us are smarter than any of us". And I've received some very smart advice.

Some of your feedback alleviated concerns, that I and perhaps others may have had. Other feedback put matters into perspective as to expectations. And more that educated me even more about the vehicle.

Thanks would not cover my appreciation to you all. PC rocks!

16. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The great thing about this car is people are comparing it to far more expensive cars like Lexus. Can you get a Lexus for the price of a Prius? Now how about a hybrid Lexus?

17. a priori

a priori Canonus Curiosus

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    A very thoughtful and kind observation.

This is a pretty great place to get help, info and advice of all sorts. And the opinions come at no cost!

18. PriusSport

PriusSport senior member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I view the Prius as a low $20Ks car. Below $25K. If you pay more than that for all the trimmings, you are just padding the price.

The hybrid market will soon become more crowded, and there will be price pressure on the Prius. That should drive it closer to $20K. Bigger volume, however, is essential to drop hybrid prices. Govt rebates would help.

19. jeffelectric2

jeffelectric2 Wind Energy

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    V
    As a proud Prius owner (daily mpg 50-55 city/hwy), I would find it very difficult to purchase a 2010 Prius due primarily with the poor material quality (inside door panels, dash and ceiling). My other concern is the placement of the navigation/information screen and some negative comments from other members indicating that they almost got into an accident when viewing while conducting a test drive. I am also very disappointed in the front facia design which looks like a Corolla. Technologically speaking I am very impressed and look forward to a plug-in model.

20. Stillplayswithcars

Stillplayswithcars New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I have leather seats and find them them to be as good as in other vehicles of similar price. My disappointment is in the cheap carpets and floor mats(also headliner). I traded in a 2008 level IV for a 2010 level IV. I find it overall to be a better vehicle, but I would like to find carpets of the quality in the 2008 version to replace the really cheap OEM carpets. As someone said earlier, It you're going to improve the vehicle with things like 4 wheel disc brakes, a bigger more efficient engine and still keep the price about the same, something has to give economically. I guess toyota chose parts of the interior to save money on. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Would 2008 carpets fit the 2010?