1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Gen III Prius now a "normal" part of the auto marketplace--MSRP now negotiable everywhere?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by kgall, Dec 16, 2009.

1. kgall

kgall Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Hope I'm not too much stating the obvious here (or maybe I hope everyone HAS figured this out and I just won't get thrown off the list for being to obvious):

Based on various threads about prices, discounts, specific buying experiences, etc., here's the conclusion I draw:

The Gen III Prius is now a part of the "normal" marketplace for cars in the US. That is, people are no longer having to pay MSRP or above to get the latest and greatest new thing. (I limit this to the US, because I don't really understand how new cars are bought and sold elsewhere.)

Seems to me that no one should be snowed by salespeople who say you have to pay MSRP for this great car, or that just about everyone does or anything like that.
    Unless you have a dealer who really does bottom-line, no negotiation pricing (and I don't know how many really do that these days, if any), you can negotiate the price of all versions of Prius (or at least 2010 versions II-V; don't know how many so-called I's exist).

I'm not quite sure when the transition began, but I think it was complete by about mid-November, when GST region stopped insisting on MSRP even for version II--which everyone says offers the least profit spread (between actual cost and MSRP) for dealers.

I'm pretty sure that I could have done better ($500 discount in GST region on version II) had I waited from about Nov. 20th until now. Oh well . . ..
    The good news is that if you haven't bought yet, I bet you can do better too.

Anyone want to tell me I'm crazy about this? Not even crazy, just wrong?

Ken

2. BeakerTX

BeakerTX Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I think this may be true for current inventory or cars on the lot, but from my recent experience (pickup my car on Monday) MSRP is still the rule for special orders. I paid MSRP for my IV with SR, since they apparently don't exist in the gulf states. Luckily, I only had to wait about 6 weeks.

3. ToyotaFleetManager

ToyotaFleetManager New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    That is a broad statement that maybe accurate in some circumstances but not in all. It depends on the model and features. For example if you are in the GST region a V with AY package is still largely going for MSRP as are special orders. If the vehicle is on the lot and avaliable there maybe some room.