1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

WTB Gen III Prius Sleeping camping kit as sold on eBay

Discussion in 'Private Sales' started by electrontechnik, Aug 5, 2016.

1. electrontechnik

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
  2. InspectorGadget

InspectorGadget Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Five
  3. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    When I look at that eBay kit, I don't see anything very much different from what I did this summer:
    inn.jpg
    Not very much to it:
    • Hinman full length sleeping pad (already had)
    • Pillow (already had)
    • Cooler and/or some storage containers (already had, perfect for stacking on the floor behind the seat, to get the pillow at the same height as the folded rear seat)
    That third item seems to be the only thing special about the kit, which seems to provide little folding tables with legs to stand up in that space, and removable hatches to reach through to things underneath. I had even thought of building something similar, but finally said, "why bother? This cooler and these containers fit perfectly here."

About the only thing I actually bought was about 2½ yards of aluminized fabric (found at the fabric store, intended for making ironing board covers) for side-window privacy curtains (and nothing like that seems to be in the eBay kit, anyway). Slit longways down the middle, it's enough to curtain both sides, from the front triangle windows to the rear ones. Windshield sunshade, I already had. Some rear-window privacy is possible by raising the front of the tonneau cover to hang from the rear grab handles, though you can see it leaves a gap at the top; a little more fabric would be needed to fix that.

-Chap

electrontechnik likes this.
  4. EGGS

EGGS Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Tent works perfect couple of containers to level it out . Sleeping pad from REI pillow etc .

Attached Files:

5. electrontechnik

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    The tent options are very ingenious but I can't use them due to the locations where I'll be (inner city). I need the natural protection the car's closed doors provide.

6. EGGS

EGGS Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    So then just get the Tupperware sleeping pad and sleeping bag and something to black in the windows and you don't need much of anything else

7. Loosechangedru

Loosechangedru Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I built a set just like that. I posted the plans in the official prius roadtripping thread just recently, hope it helps!

8. Eddiesti2004

Eddiesti2004 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Five