1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Gen III scangauge Oil Temp

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Technical Discussion' started by Sabby, Nov 3, 2011.

1. Sabby

Sabby Active Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Reviewing the Gen III spreadsheet it lists a gauge for oil temperature but indicates it is untested.

Has anyone had success in setting up an oil temperature gauge. If you have what temperatures have you observed.

Thanks

2. xs650

xs650 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I I found this in the electrical section of the Gen III shop manual. It isn't much information put indicates that an oil temperature sensor exists on a Gen III. What I can't tell is if it's engine oil or transmission oil. The sensor is at the bottom of the diagram.

Attached Files:

3. Sabby

Sabby Active Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks A step in the right direction. I really would like to monitor oil temp and oil pressure. There have been a few threads regarding oil dilution. It would seem that oil temperature in addition to water temperature would be a key item to monitor.

My previous car had an oil temp gauge and I found that oil temp would rise much slower than the water temp and would take longer to cool down following a high load condition.

4. vincent1449p

vincent1449p Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Hi xs650,

The sensor, TWS3, is actually for monitoring the engine coolant temperature for the exhaust heat recirculation system. There is another engine coolant temperature sensor, THW, which is for the E.F.I. system.

Hi Sabby,

For oil pressure, it is just an ON/OFF switch to detect low pressure and display a warning icon at the combination meter.

Vincent

1 person likes this.
  5. xs650

xs650 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Vincent, that wouldn't be the first time a factory shop manual had a mistake in it. How did you find that out?

6. Sabby

Sabby Active Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Vincent Thanks for the clarification