1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Gen III TPMS Sensor Same as Gen II?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by rachaelseven, Jul 28, 2009.

1. rachaelseven

rachaelseven New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    As the subject says, is the Gen III TPMS sensor the same as the Gen II? I want to get a second set (for winter snow tires/wheels), but none of the parts places have listings for the 2010 yet. If no one knows, I'll call the parts department at my dealer and try to get the part number, but I was hoping maybe someone had already figured it out. Maybe someone who's unmounted the tires happened to notice a part number? Thanks!

2. yardman 49

yardman 49 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Another question would be if the TPMS system itself has been changed to recognize more than one set of sensors at a time on the G3?

On the G2s, it could only be programmed for one set as far as I know. So even if you had a second set of rims with snow tires mounted and TPMS sensors, it would require a trip to the dealer and reprogramming of the car to get it to recognize the new set. Then when you put the originals back on, you would again need to have the car reprogrammed, etc.

At least that's my understanding.

Best wishes,

Frank

3. rachaelseven

rachaelseven New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Thanks, Frank. That's my understanding as well and it sure would be nice if two sets could be programmed. Of course, if you didn't put them on the same corners, you'd have to reprogram them anyway. I'm given to understand that most tire stores can do the programming now though, so I was thinking maybe the tire store could reprogram them when I had them switch the snows on? I'm too lazy to change 4 tires myself, so I'd be at the tire store anyway.

Thanks!

Rachael :)

4. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Does the TPMS receiver actually have a way of telling what corner the tire is on? I didn't know that, do they have to reprogram them when the tires are rotated?

5. rachaelseven

rachaelseven New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    It's my understanding the computer registers specific IDs with each corner, but I'm just getting up to speed on the TPMS system and I'm far from an expert, so I could very well be wrong.

6. dc202

dc202 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    This may be true (hope not) on the Prius but it is definitely not true on my other two vehicles that have TPMS. On these cars (both Honda) the system recognizes the transmitters regardless of which corner. I recently rotated the tires/wheels on my CR-V without a problem.

7. rachaelseven

rachaelseven New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Well, there is only one warning light in the Prius dash, right? So I suppose it really wouldn't matter even if it did register by corner... unless it gives a text warning message about which one is low. But I honestly didn't read the manual that carefully and haven't had a tire go down yet, so I could well be wasting pixels.

8. rachaelseven

rachaelseven New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Just got off the phone with the parts department at my dealer and they list the SAME part number (42607-33011) for the Gen III as was used on the Gen II. I have a set on the way, but I won't be able to give a full report until I mount my snows this winter.