1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Gen III wearing CA HOV Stickers

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by hill, Oct 22, 2009.

1. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    Just dropped off some dry cleaning & right next door is a Schlotzsky's sandwich joint ... blue Gen III parked in front & it's got solo HOV stickers on the back (only). You'd think a Prius owner wouldn't be so STUPID, that they'd believe the Highway Patrol wouldn't know how long ago they stopped issuing them. Boy, was I wrong.

2. garygid

garygid Senior Member - Blizzard Pearl

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    IF their previous car had stickers and was totaled, then it might be legal, I think ... but with only one sticker, who knows?

3. Tech_Guy

Tech_Guy Class Clown

Silicon Valley, CA --- Land of Fruits & Nuts
    Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    One possible solution......

Attached Files:

4. 32kcolors

32kcolors Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Perfectly legal if your previous HOV-stickered hybrid was totaled.

Effective January 1, 2009, DMV may issue new Clean Air Stickers to ORIGINAL owners of qualifying hybrids purchased to replace hybrids that have been subsequently declared total/loss salvage. Applications for replacement must be filed within six months of the date of total loss/salvage.
    (California)

In fact, I saw a Gen III wearing HOV stickers back in September.

5. archermoo

archermoo New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Others have noted why it might be legal, though by only putting them on the back it is still illegal for them to drive in the HOV lane solo, whether they legally got stickers for the car or not. Part of being allowed in the lane solo is putting the stickers on the car correctly.

6. Jayhawker

Jayhawker New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I have seen the stickers but only in pictures. Are there any numbers on them? What is preventing people from stealing them for their own use on Hybrids? Here in AZ we have a special plate for the HOV lane and they only issued out 10k of them and it was for any vehicle converted to CNG, CNG Civic, Prius, Insight and Civic Hybrid. I hope they don't put the program on the cutting block like they are in CA.

7. archermoo

archermoo New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    The stickers have numbers, and the number is tied to the specific vehicle that they were issued to. And here in CA it isn't so much that the program is getting cut as it was passed with a sunset programmed in. The initial sunset was the start of 2008 I believe, but that was extended to the start of 2011.

8. Salsawonder

Salsawonder New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    A guy at work did not want to mar his finished so he taped his on the inside windows of his car. I don't know that he really uses them as we do not really need HOV access in SD area. There is also a registration card that goes along with the stickers that you would need to produce if you were questioned about the stickers.

9. Tad Moody

Tad Moody New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Here:

Just print this and glue it to right rear bumper.

[​IMG]

10. archermoo

archermoo New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Well, if you're going to fake it, you should at least put them in all four appropriate places to reduce the chance that you'll get pulled over and have them looked at closely...

11. Tad Moody

Tad Moody New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    OK, so stick 'em wherever they should be...stuck.

Now, back in MY day, when the carpool fiasco was first introduced in California, we'd have people who needed rides standing at freeway onramps with signs, volunteering to pimp themselves as an "occupant", so they'd get a ride, and the driver would get the carpool lane!