1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Gen V stock wheels swap. Easy?

Discussion in 'Gen 5 Prius Technical Discussion' started by Bacon Evolved, Aug 18, 2023.

1. Bacon Evolved

Bacon Evolved New Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    XLE AWD-e
    Hi all,

As much as I love the look of the 19" wheel set that came with my 2023 EXT AWD, I also love the look of the 17" set with their wheel covers. I'm interested in finding someone in my region who might be interested in swapping, primarily due to the lower unsprung wheel weight the 17s offer.

The 19s are more valuable, but I'd do an even trade for someone's 17s as long as they're still relatively low miles. My questions are:

-Is there any technical reason why this might be tricky, or is it as simple as taking the wheel off an LX and mounting it on an EXT and vice versa?

-Is there a trick to pairing the TPMS sensors or is that a dealership only affair?

- Is there anyway to change the trip computer to account for the slightly different wheel circumference?

Thanks in advance for any advice. Cheers.

mountaineer likes this.
  2. Will B

Will B Active Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE Premium
    Bacon: Following this too, I'm in the same boat. I have the 19" wheels (car is less than a week old) and pining for the 17" wheels too for the better mileage. Also, after reading the manual(s), VERY surprised that they say no snow chains for the 19" wheels, only the 17" ones??!! Even more reason to go with the 17 inchers.

It would be good to hear from folk more expert that indeed the ONLY benefit to 19" wheels is looks. I fear there might be some other benefit I'm overlooking.

will

3. KMO

KMO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    There's a benefit to big tyre diameter - you can go narrower for aerodynamics while maintaining contact area. Engineers and designers can be happy with the bigger tyres. The new Prius is able to be much higher performance on the same width tyres as the G2 because they're larger.

But the 19" rims for the large tyres are pure style. That's the designers' work.

TGrracie and Trollbait like this.
  4. Will B

Will B Active Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE Premium
    Thanks KMO, if there truly is no technical benefit to 19" rims, then I'm much more inclined to see if I can find someone to swap with. I'm an engineer, so aesthetics are foreign to me, I want better mileage. Also, now that Toyota says no snow chains for 19" rims, that is one more reason to want 17" rims.

5. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    The big rims adds weight that ends up countering the aero benefit.

The two tires aren't the same overall diameter. The 19" are about a half inch larger. Between that and the lower profile, Toyota is likely CYA themselves in regards to the snow chains. Specific chain models and alternatives may fit the wheel well without damaging the rims.