1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Gen1, CD Player install?

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by timtim2008, Jul 23, 2009.

1. timtim2008

timtim2008 Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    [​IMG]

I just bought a GEN1, with tape player only..

Can i just go to the junkyard or ebay and buy a CD player and install it?

I've searched the board, but didn't find anything..

ps. is the navigation mod this simple too? or no?

2. ea8631

ea8631 Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Technology
    For the cd player, you need a y cable (part number: 08695-00370) and a factory 1 din (single or 6 disc) cd player for plug and play.

here is what the cd player look like:

TOYOTA 2001 2002 2003 PRIUS FACTORY STEREO CD PLAYER - eBay (item 310156199715 end time Aug-17-09 16:40:04 PDT)

for the navigation retriofit, please refer here:

http://priuschat.com/forums/generation-1-prius-discussion/64194-geni-gps-add.html

1 person likes this.
  3. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I would recommend looking at Griffin technologies for adapters that play through the FM radio. For example, I have an iPod adapter, $55, that plays through the FM and the iPod Touch slides right into the tape player slot. I can absolutely recommend iPod technlogy as it rapidly accumulates the 'good music' from my CD collection.

As for navigation, a Garmin nuvi, I have the 260, works great. Best of all, you can bring it in the house to upload the trip records or download new maps and software from Garmin. At ~$200, there are some great deals and the technology continues to improve. Then when Christmas comes and you have to park in sea of cars, you can set a 'way point' for the car, carry the Garmin through the stores and when ready to leave, it will navigate you right to the car. <wink>

One other advantage is the Garmin won't lock out your passenger while you are driving. This means you can change the destination on the fly ... say going down the highway and you need to find . . erh, ugh . . . facilities "RIGHT NOW! AND I WON"T GO ON THE SIDE OF THE ROAD!!!"

There are better mods to consider for the NHW11 Prius.

Bob Wilson

4. mlibanio

mlibanio Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    I
    As long as you get the Y cable, I can sell you my CD Player. Lets say $50? Its up to you! PM me if you wish.

5. prioki

prioki Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    I have a Gen1 also and just wanted to chime in.

I second the Garmin Nuvi recommendation. I have the 350 and I never go anywhere without it (relatively new to L.A. here).

Also, I have one of those casette adapters that connects to my iPod. It was very cheap and easy, and I prefer iPod to CDs for convenience. :)

6. mlibanio

mlibanio Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    I
    I put the Toyota Navigation in my car, and while I love the integrated look, if I had to do it again, I would probably have bought a Chrysler Navigation unit, and stuck it where the CD player is. The Chrysler Navigation unit is an all in one radio, cd player, nav and so on and is lightyears ahead of anything Toyota has yet to come out with. I had bluetooth connectivity in my Chrysler Neon in 2002, and I bought the iPod integration kit in 2004. Still works amazing after all these years. However, if you want to do the Toyota navigation install, I have created detailed instructions including part numbers and have successfully helped 5 people with installs. So let me know. My help is free of charge!

7. Galen Spenser West

Galen Spenser West New Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    I
    just so you all know, the part number for the "y"-adapter is incorrect. that is the part number for the 2001-2003 celiac install. the prius y-adpater is no longer made by toyota and is only to be found from junkyards. (i found one for $150.00 - just for the harness, not the cd player + harness).

8. Bruce Berquist

Bruce Berquist Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Toyota made an upgraded CD unit in 2003 that has the Y adaptor wired into it. Part number 08601-47801. It made the installation a breeze.

Trouble is, when I press the "Disc" button I get a message telling me that the "external device is not connected".
    I found a suggestion that the Head unit needs to be programmed to accept connection to the CD player.

Does anybody here know if that is true? and if so... Is there a DIY method to do this?