1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Gen1 start issue

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by bigblock67, Mar 8, 2023.

1. bigblock67

bigblock67 433K with new cells

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Changed injectors assuming it would help the stumbling at idle.
    Now have orange triangle. 3191 and runs for 6 seconds and dies. Wait a minute, same outcome.
    Thanks

2. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    This should probably be moved to the Gen 1 forum.

A Prius engine that won't start usually makes people say it "runs for 6 seconds and dies", because Prius engine cranking sounds like running. It just isn't starting.

I'd of course recheck all the work done changing the injectors. Was the 12 volt battery disconnected at any point?

3. bigblock67

bigblock67 433K with new cells

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Had to quick charge 12v .low battery
    Dash gauge showed low. Finally started on couple cylinders and 15 min charge recovered on dash. Starts now but rough idle??
    Did not see gen1 option

4. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
  5. Josey

Josey Active Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Model:
    One
    Without the backstory it's hard to know where to start. So you had a "stumbling idle." Being more descriptive would help. A "loping" idle - rising and falling? Or just generally uneven like it's missing? Were there codes present before?

What made you target the injectors? That's quite a guess.

So perhaps it wasn't the injectors after all. Back to square one. What's the scoop with the plugs? Age/miles? Are the coils/wires the originals? Did it ever throw any misfire codes? Do you have a scantool that will report live data such as fuel trims? You might need to finagle a way to check the fuel pressure which, as far as I can tell, is not easy on these cars since the a holes didn't build in a test port.

6. ammdb

ammdb Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    When my '01 started stalling after I started it (does that make sense), it just needed to have the throttle body cleaned.