1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

For Trade Gen1 Toyota battery free

Discussion in 'Private Sales' started by Sishoch, Nov 5, 2023.

1. Sishoch

Sishoch Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Bought a salvaged 2007 gen2 that I am getting on the road. The sellers threw in the "original" battery that was lying in the dirt. Looked at it the other day and realized that it is not a gen2 but a gen1 with 38 cells. No use to me, if anyone wants it, let me know and you can come get it. I am in Albuquerque, NM. It is a Toyota but has obviously not been charged for several years.

If no one wants it (quite likely) who accepts hybrid batteries for recycling?

2. Dale2005

Dale2005 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    For whatever it's worth, 28 Gen 1 battery Modules can be used in a Gen 2 or Gen 3 battery case with a very minor and easy modification. Assuming the Gen 1 modules will hold a charge they may be useful to someone interested in rebuilding their Gen 1, Gen 2 or Gen 3 battery pack.

I purchased a Dorman Re-manufactured battery pack for my 2005 Gen 2 Prius. After the 3 year warranty expired I opened the pack because I was getting voltage leak error codes. I discovered the rebuilt Dorman pack purchased in 2016 was comprised of 28 Gen 1 modules manufactured in 2008. I've come to learn since then the Gen 1 modules have leakage issues around the seal of the posts. Apparently this flaw was fixed in the redesigned modules used in the Gen 2 and Gen 3 battery packs. I've driven 6+ years and 85K miles on the Gen 1 modules in my Dorman re-manufactured battery pack (however using the Prolong battery re balancing system has been necessary over the past 4 years)

#2 Dale2005, Nov 5, 2023
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2023
  3. Dale2005

Dale2005 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    There may be value in the old Gen 1 battery pack if it has never been opened. This might be valuable to you if your Gen 2 battery pack has been opened to replace a module by someone previously. Here's why . . .

Should you ever want to buy a new battery pack from a Toyota dealer, it will come with a very large (about $1000) core charge. The core charge will not be refunded if the core pack has been opened. Food for thought.

If you are looking to recycle the pack, a Toyota dealer will take it from you.

4. JohnPrius3005

JohnPrius3005 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    So this begs the question, what does Toyota do with the old core? They can’t possible refurb it and sell it in some unsuspecting 3rd world country. I’d really like to know. Or is it just a total scam like beverage container deposits and recycling where the only places you can take them give you a fraction of their value?
    Any Toyota insiders know the answer?