1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Gen3 Booster and Actuator

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Technical Discussion' started by Radioactivelight, Aug 16, 2023.

1. Radioactivelight

Radioactivelight New Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I have questions….
    I plan on replacing the Booster and Actuator myself.

I’m fairly handy under the hood, I just removed all the battery busbars, cleaned, polished and replaced them. I got rid of the corrosion and cleaned the filter and fan.

My blown inverter is being replaced for free because I never got the softwares update.

My tip to you is don’t rush to the dealership for the recall to update the hybrid system software!
    If you get the update and then the inverter breaks you have to pay for it.
    If it breaks before the update is installed on your car Toyota covers the repair!

Now back to the brakes…

DTCs C1253 C1256 C1391

What are my choices for an inexpensive scan tool that does the bleeding and linear valve offset?

Has anyone tried the Ancel TD700? ($130) or any Ancel scanner?

Do you have any suggestions for buying Techstream cord and software? What worked for you? Vender name?

I’d like to hear from anyone who has done this job and find out what you used?

I’d like an under $200 scanner that works on all brands but most importantly my Prius and I’d like it to handle all the technical stuff like the brake service and keyfobs to name a couple.

I’ve been told by a dealership that I need:
    47050-47310
    47070-47060

Why are there so many part numbers for these two items?
    I have a 2015 Prius 3 15in wheels 164,000miles
    JTDKN3DU1F0467350

What part numbers do you suggest and why?

Are these parts fairly interchangeable?
    Is there one that is beefed up? More reliable?latest version?

I suspect the internal software in the part itself has to match the car, but I don’t know this to be true?

Any helpful tips would be greatly appreciated!

I’m on my second Gen3, my 2010 went 250,000miles before the first thing broke.
    All I did was oil changes, brake pads and tires.
    And my oil changes were few and far between.
    The AC broke so I upgraded to a 2015.

2. Radioactivelight

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I did my brake booster and pump yesterday, fixed my 2015, Prius three
    I used Toyota Techstream that I bought off of eBay for relatively cheap
    There was a hiccup using Techstream that was cured by unplugging the battery and then trying again
    It’s not an easy job, but it’s not impossible to do, there are a few good YouTube videos

My question is, I bought my parts from Bam automotive, my box for the pump had the part number 47070–47060
    But the part itself had this part number printed on it 47070–47050
    My question is, did I receive an inferior part?
    Did they swap out the more current updated model with an older less robust pump?
    It’s nearly impossible to get the answers on the Internet

If anybody is thinking about doing this repair, please feel free to ask me questions.

Attached Files:

mikey_t, bisco and JohnPrius3005 like this.
  3. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Just to make sure parts are called the right names on PriusChat ... there are two things under the hood there:

[​IMG]

The top one there is the Booster, and also the Actuator (and also the Master Cylinder, and also the ECU).

The bottom one there is the Booster Pump (and that's a different thing than the Booster), and also the Accumulator.

And a lot of questions get posted here about part numbers, particularly because Toyota has this way of sometimes putting a number physically on a part, that looks just the same as Toyota part numbers do, but is not the part number for the part. Annoying, but just something to get used to. I had to get used to it with Ford also.

And of course that's made worse by eBay and Amazon sellers all reading whatever number they see on the part and listing it as the part number. So you're right, it's pretty much impossible to get good answers from the internet.

If you have the chance to order a brand new part from a Toyota dealer and see the part number you ordered on the box, and then compare to whatever maybe-or-maybe-not part number is on the part itself, sometimes at least you figure out what number on the part goes with what actual part number.

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    the only issue on not doing the inverter recall (i haven't) is that it can die in a dangerous situation

5. Radioactivelight

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    It happened to me, I had a semi truck behind me, but it wasn’t as bad as they make it out to be.

I just immediately pulled off to the side

But it was very unexpected

if I had to pay for that repair it would’ve been around $4000

mikey_t and bisco like this.
  6. Seymour1

Seymour1 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three

7. Seymour1

Seymour1 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I am confused and devastated! My Toyota dealed quoted me $1143.68 for the master cylinder (47050-47140) and $1115.80 for the pump (47070-47060). That is $2379.23 for parts, after tax and $4112 with tax and labor included. The same part numbers are $1080.52 for both parts at other online dealers. (Less than half price) So, you are saying that if I buy the parts online (for my 2010 level IV) that I will not know what I am getting unless it has a part number on the box? (I need to tell the dealer to label the box for the correct part.) That would eliminate ebay and junk yard parts. Please clarify.

8. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    The softwares intent is to better protect the inverter? So you go with Toyota’s advice, get the update, and any subsequent inverter failure is your fault?

why would that be?

9. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    As you rightly suspect, there is no such catch-22. The terms of the Customer Confidence Programs are covered here. There's nothing there about needing non-updated firmware.

Mendel Leisk likes this.