1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Gen3 Front end rattle-Everything New!

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by J M Bowman, Oct 23, 2023.

1. J M Bowman

J M Bowman New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hi Everyone,

I realize front end rattles on the Gen 3 have been talked to death on multiple forums, but after reading at least 50+ posts about the subject & replacing just about everything, I still have no answer for mine

My 2012 Prius 2 already had 218k on it when i purchased it recently. It made many rattles and thuds on the test drive, but all seemed to be suspension related which I'm comfortable repairing myself. Since the seller had many repair records including a recent one for a head gasket job, and other recently resolved big known issues, it seemed like a deal @ $2200. Plus it ran perfect so i decided to buy it and replace everything up front to be safe. (NOTE: Because I checked the CV shafts by running the car in drive on jack stands with no wheels, the VSC light is on, if that makes any difference.)

After reading too many forum posts, i just went ahead and purchased most every fallible suspension related replacement part, and installed them. The front end noises greatly subsided after this, and now drives much better. Unfortunately there's still a few noises I cannot find the source of, one of which is causing me much worry about maybe possibly a worn transaxle rattling? Or maybe - ?

What's strange is that after all of the new parts, the only time I hear any remaining noises happens down dirt roads with striation in our rural neighborhood. The steering is properly tight over them, and the car handles well now so it doesn't seem like there's anything left to cause the rattle... heck, I can even hit cattle guards at 60mph on the nearest paved highway and it silently handles those like a new car would... so it's beyond puzzling what the remaining rattles up front could actually be. Has anyone already gone though this scenario and solved this mystery?

The steering column does makes some additional noise on those same dirt roads.
    I have the replacement damper but haven't replaced yet..still, the main noise is not that... it's definitely out front.
    Someone please please please tell me what this might be??

What Ive replaced so far (all new parts):
    -Both Control arms with bushings and ball joints
    -Sway bar bushings
    -Both Sway bar rods
    -Steering Rack with inner + outer tie rods / ends
    -Intermediate Steering Shaft
    -Both Struts & Strut Bearings
    -Drivers CV Axle

What ive also checked:
    -No visible play or groaning from front wheel bearings
    -Motor mounts look good, and tight and barely move with a jack under
    -Zip tied any loose plastic pieces etc.
    -Checked calipers for anything loose
    -Banged on everything else I could find with a rubber mallet under there.. still no dice!
    -I've also had the nose piece off while replacing headlights and DRL/TS Lights... even checked behind there for missing bolts

Help?

Attached Files: