1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Gen5 Hypermiling Checklist

Discussion in 'Gen 5 Prius Main Forum' started by Preebee, Jul 12, 2023.

1. Preebee

Preebee Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    First things first: gonna need a display that measures MPGs in the 100's. I'd been disappointed with the standard trip summary shown when turning the vehicle off. It maxed out at 99.99... :unsure:

Good news! There's another MPG gauge, and it reads to 199.99!!! (y)

Go to your multimedia display ("B" on pg. 102 of manual). Touch the car icon, then Trip Information, then the History tab. On this screen (pg. 105), you'll need to hit update every time you want to measure your MPG's (up to 199.99) on a single trip. If you don't hit update again at the conclusion of your trip, I believe it will continue to measure your MPG's for the rest of the day. A new recording (bar) will be created the following day, or whenever you hit update again (whichever comes first).

:D

Tideland Prius and tovli like this.
  2. tovli

tovli 2023 Prius Prime replaced 09 Prius

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE
    Yes, but pressing update or checking the following day turns the wonderful precise data into a bar without a knowable numerical value. Frustrating.

Uhcoustic and Preebee like this.
  3. Preebee

Preebee Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    So far I've only used it for individual trips. Gotta hit update each time before you pull away.

4. Preebee

Preebee Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    https://www.greencarreports.com/news/1139900_how-to-get-more-mpg-out-of-your-toyota-hybrid

"From Green Car Reports’ experience with a wide range of test vehicles—nearly all the hybrids in the Toyota/Lexus lineup—using Eco mode results in a difference that you likely won’t notice after the first few minutes. It encourages smoother driving in most cases, and you’ll notice a payoff at the pump."

"The system draws from vast data maps, looking at various parameters (some predictive) to decide when to run the engine and when to rely only on the electric motors.

Bottom line: Toyota hybrids are already optimized for efficiency to the point that almost anything you change, except for slowing and smoothing your driving habits, and running in Eco mode, is likely to cut mpg. And that includes using EV mode."

This is why I will sometimes get marvelous fuel economy in the Prius while on a phone call. I'm simply not thinking and just letting the computer do the work.

Usually while on a call I'm driving very passively also, and perhaps even a bit slower. I will say though, there are improvements to be had in the Prius that are additive to the car's onboard "AI".

One of them is trying to keep the gas pedal very stable when gliding with ICE off. Don't try (excessively) to keep the engine from coming on (eg. super slow starts), but also don't trigger the ICE with sloppy pedal work (eg. accelerating past the halfway line on the Eco guide when you didn't have to in order to maintain cruising speed).

Driving as smoothly as possible, while interpreting traffic light behavior ahead - deciding whether to glide/coast (without EV or regen braking), and hoping for a green light and traffic to clear; accelerating to make a stale green light, or admitting defeat and using regen breaking to reclaim as much lost energy as possible while stopping, are the main practical ways you can augment your cars fuel economy.

Stopping/slowing a car's momentum is truly the enemy of fuel economy. The Prius just gives us a few tools to minimize the damage. Likewise, we're given tools to maximize the benefits of smooth driving.

tovli likes this.
  5. Preebee

Preebee Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    I don't know where to put this exactly, but it applies to hybrid driving, hypermiling, and basically increased fuel mileage on the G5 in general. So here goes:

I've noticed during my month or so of driving the G5 LE, that battery levels appear to recharge faster and last longer than my G4 LE. I know they increased the battery size by some measure (was it +18%?). But when the car gets charged up to 4-5 bars, it shuts off really quickly and seems to let you glide longer (ICE off). Then when accelerating from a stop, adds a bar back quicker than I remember in the G4.

It also seems like average fuel economy when the ICE is running is worse than the G4. This makes perfect sense as it is more powerful and has a larger displacement than the G4. This would also explain why the battery seems to charge faster during ICE-on (more ICE power should generate a more powerful charge).

I think that accelerating to your desired cruising speed as fast as possible (within reason), and allowing the ICE to shut back off, is A key to maximizing your MPGs when you will have a long glide off-ICE once you get to that speed.. Following the Eco guide is fine, but I think there's a bit more fuel economy to be gained in the aforementioned scenario. If you are hitting light after light after light however, then accelerating faster than the Eco guide says, will probably harm your overall MPGs. In fact, I would try to trigger the ICE starting as little as possible when you are in downtown traffic with 20ish MPH speed limits and such. The ICE is a gas guzzler, so ideally you want it off unless you are doing a full acceleration.

But as mentioned in the prior post and quoted article: "Toyota hybrids are already optimized for efficiency to the point that almost anything you change, except for slowing and smoothing your driving habits, and running in Eco mode, is likely to cut mpg." This is an important point to always keep in mind. The G5 is VERY smart, and the way it cuts the engine off is different than the G4. I am only adding my experience for the Hypermiling Nerd in some of us who want to see if we can exceed the G5's MPG AI. There will come a time (it may already be here), when we no longer can beat the computer. At that point, the Prius MPG game is over. Just follow the rules. :unsure:

tovli likes this.
  6. vvillovv

vvillovv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I've found that understanding the warmup cycle behavior at different temp gradients can benefit the driver a lot. And it (the warmup cycle) behaves a lot differently (well a lot to me, anyways), at very cold, cold, 60 F. warmer and hot, temps.

I notice the descriptions about hypermiling are mostly about HV mode hypermiling. But the three main ways to hypermile work equally well in both HV and EV mode. I was wondering what you meant by stating above "even EV mode".
    A key to understand better EV mode efficiency is the more it's used for complete trips without using HV mode at all in that EV only trip, will get registered in the cars history data and keep building the cars EV mode only data. That can, if hypermiled in EV mode, add more EV range to the cars estimate and also offer the ability to consistently beat the cars estimated EV range, up to a point. Whereas, driving in HV mode will settle into an EV estimate, consistent with the way the car is driven in HV mode. I'm not confident what I've written above is easy to visualize or understand, but I gave it a shot and hope it at least gives others an idea or two about how both EV and HV mode complement each other in the Prime.

Preebee and tovli like this.
  7. Preebee

Preebee Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    Disregard some of the comments in the article that pertain to "EV mode". He's actually addressing the remaining Prius drivers out there who drive non-Primes yet still actually hit the "EV" button thinking it does something. :LOL:

Trollbait and tovli like this.
  8. vvillovv

vvillovv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    The EV button in older Prius was a tool that some found useful, much like charge mode in the Prime. :cool:

Tideland Prius and Preebee like this.
  9. Preebee

Preebee Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    For me in the G4, a light pedal was far more useful than the EV button. And if I had a full charge, I could even stay on battery all the way up to city cruising speed. The G4 truly was the pinnacle of Prii when it came to pragmatism, utility, and reliability.

And then they decided to flex a little with the G5. :love:

10. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I've found that is the best tactic with automatic transmissions. At steady speeds, the cars set engine and transmission conditions to maximize fuel economy. That makes up for burning a little more fuel to get to that state sooner.

Preebee likes this.
  11. vvillovv

vvillovv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I get your meaning @Preebee how EV mode in the regular prius doesn't help with those models MPG. I have read that using EV mode to move the regular Prius around short distances without having to have the engine start is liked by a few owners. Just another tools in the toolbox for some, although not many. And most called it some not so nice names, not least of which was worthless. Same also holds true for the Primes Charge Mode for most owners.

Preebee likes this.
  12. David Mk.2

David Mk.2 Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    Does the "EV mode" in the Gen5 hybrid still forcibly cut out over 25mph or has Toyota managed to increase that threshold at all? In my 2010 Prius the EV mode is pretty much good for nothing except for an occasional meandering slowly around a parking garage for a minute or two

13. Preebee

Preebee Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    https://ownersmanuals2.com/toyota/prius-2023-owners-manual-86991/page-185

https://ownersmanuals2.com/toyota/prius-2023-owners-manual-86991/page-186

"EV drive mode’s possible driving
    distance ranges from a few hundred
    meters to approximately 0.6 mile (1
    km). However, depending on vehi-
    cle conditions, there are situations
    when EV drive mode cannot be
    used."

Pretty vague. I'm guessing it's just as useful in 2023 as it was in prior years (like tits on a boar).

Light pedal > "EV Mode"

14. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    The limiting factor on the EV ability is the battery, and that hasn't changed much. The usable capacity is about the same as the gen2. The Li-ion pack might put out more energy to reach a faster speed, but the engine will just come back on sooner doing so.

15. Preebee

Preebee Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    I sense the "range" or gliding ability (ICE off) is 50% greater in the G5 than the G4. I also sense the ICE burns about 50% more fuel in the G5 vs G4 when running. This is not scientific data, just an educated opinion. It also aligns neatly with the facts that the G5 has 60% more HP than the G4 and still gets close to the same MPG's. The hybrid system MUST be more efficient right? With weight staying the same and wheels getting larger in every trim?

At 4-5 bars, I can "cruise for days" in the G5 on level surfaces compared to my G4.

16. Preebee

Preebee Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    I may have to change my opinion slightly on the EV Mode button. I used it last night at a spot where I have to drive up a fairly steep ramp before parking. I normally just feather the pedal trying not to needlessly fire the ICE.

It's been the case, that if I have at least 4 bars I'm good. In the G4, I could usually make it up on battery if I had a solid 3 bars. I think my effective gear ratio is higher with the 17's on the G5 versus the 15's on the 2019.

Last night I clicked the EV button and drove fairly carelessly up the ramp without the ICE coming on. The acceleration meter was a decent amount past the midline of Eco. Of course I was going very slow, but just the throttle position would kick the G4 off the EV Mode. I'll continue to test if the button has any EV holding power beyond pedal feathering. This would be useful.

HacksawMark likes this.
  17. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    The gen5 battery is higher capacity; 222V and 4.08 Ah to 207.2V and 3.6 Ah.

That helps with hybrid efficiency, but it mainly comes down to the engine. The 2L is a new engine with port and direct injection. It very likely is more efficient than the old 1.8L over a wider operating range.

There are times when it is useful, and can help with efficiency. The pitfall is when people fall into binary thinking that EV driving is the source of efficiency, and engine on is bad. It isn't. The electric side of a hybrid just helps efficiency by allowing the engine to run at its most efficient points and to shut off when not needed. Most of the improvements between Prius generations is in the engine.

Use EV mode too much, and the system will burn excess fuel to charge the battery up with the engine.

Tideland Prius and David Mk.2 like this.
  18. Preebee

Preebee Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    I think there's more to it than just a larger battery. Today I was trying to pay attention to more things happening - specifically the times when the ICE was running and when it was not.

Like the G4, the EV icon displaying, is not perfectly synchronized to when the ICE shuts off. You've got to be looking at one of the gauges that shows the instant MPG. When it hits 100, the ICE is off.

Focusing on that today, I noticed the ICE shutting off VERY quickly after accelerating to speed. It seems more aggressive than my G4. This is in 100F heat index and heavy traffic. I really think the batteries are charging faster, and decharging slower also. Perhaps there's new technology in the charging system. The higher HP will help, but at a fuel cost.

I also focused on the trip history, the 5m bars that show MPG. During consecutive ICE cycles, MPGs suffer greatly - like under 25 MPGs at times. I'll try to get some photos of these "cycles". If they're happening during a trip with a bunch of stops, fuel mileage gets ugly.

I did use the EV button again when driving up the steep ramp. No ICE and I kinda tried to make it come on. I was at 4 bars. I wanna try it with 3. I think I'll get a "battery too low" rejection.

tovli likes this.
  19. Trollbait

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    So the system auto pulse and glides. I haven't driving a hybrid since my gen2, but the reports on preceding gens was that the tricks used to get the best fuel economy were essentially getting automated.

20. vvillovv

vvillovv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    If you have a stretch of road with not traffic that gently slopes down enough to let you roll at 5 or 6 mph with no accelerator pedal (Go Pedal), you'll see just how much that gauge changes as soon as you touch the Go Pedal. Even more so if the slope changes to an mild incline where the car will stop unless you give some Go.