1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Gen5 Prime suffers from phantom brake syndrome.

Discussion in 'Gen 5 Prius Main Forum' started by DOHCtor, Jun 22, 2024 at 10:58 PM.

?
  1. Did it once or more..

2 vote(s)
    22.2%
  2. Never did..

7 vote(s)
    77.8%
  1. DOHCtor

DOHCtor Member

Vehicle:
    2024 Prius Prime
    Model:
    SE
    So my 2024 Prius Prime will occasionally, like 2 or 3 times a week, apply the brakes by itself for no obvious reasons.. only once did it beep for a split second and an orange light blinked. I wasn't able to pinpoint the exact reason as it doesn't matters if the road is straight or curvy or if it has various things on the side of the road (construction cones, road signs, mailboxes, etc) or if there is nothing apparent. To complicate things further, it may do this at one place and won't ever do this at that same place the other times. Last time it did it was yesterday when i was comming home from work, it braked with enough violence, from 80 to 60kph, to make them tires squeal! Was lucky there wasn't nobody just behind me as it could have been dicey otherwise...

The question is, am i alone? I really like that car but it does things like that that my 2021 never really did and that i'm not sure that i like.. Applying the brakes for no obvious reasons being by far, the worst offender!

Edit: Forgot to say that the times i remember having that issue happening, i was using adaptative cruise control. Might try using standard cruise control and see if it still does it that way..

#1 DOHCtor, Jun 22, 2024 at 10:58 PM
    Last edited: Jun 22, 2024 at 11:04 PM
  2. HacksawMark

HacksawMark Active Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE
    What kind of a road were you driving on? If driving on a two lane road, that would be your issue. Only to be used on divided freeways.

3. DOHCtor

DOHCtor Member

Vehicle:
    2024 Prius Prime
    Model:
    SE
    Yes, a two lane road but there was nobody except me.. i'm trying to figure out what could trigger that like it does..

4. soft_r

soft_r Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2024 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    Twice. Both times with AdaptiveCC running.

I forget the conditions the first time but it was on a sparsely populated 3 lane highway.

Second time was in town, 2 lane one-way road where the right lane had additional space for parked cars. I was biased towards the center line so there was absolutely no way I'd even come close to clipping a parked car. But as the first parked car got nearer ACC did a pretty harsh slow down as if I was going to hit it. I overrode it by hitting gas quickly after.

ACC is not perfect and I'm still always foot ready to touch either pedal depending on conditions.

5. dbstoo

dbstoo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2024 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE Premium
    I thought that my car was experiencing phantom braking because it slowed down often while driving down my narrow residential street. It did that in the same place most every time. I was wrong.

The real problem was that the leaves had fallen from the trees that were planted in the center divide. There was a fairly new "Children crossing" sign to my left that had been hidden in the foliage from the day that it was installed last spring. And that's what the car was responding to. It was obeying the warning sign in an area where the vision was obscured and I tended to drive a couple miles per hour above the limit.

I have also had the car hit the brakes in response to cars coming to a near stop in order to turn right into a driveway. That's the expected behavior so it is NOT phantom braking. Besides, the instructions instruct us not to use smart cruise control in town.

6. HacksawMark

HacksawMark Active Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

PhoS and Trollbait like this.
  7. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    7 or 8yrs ago - tesla sales #'s began to increase significantly. That's where the Phantom breaking phenomena seem to first become significant. It's a part of our Pacifica dynamic now as well. It's mostly noticed on narrow curving roads with occasional cars parked along the road. Better phantoms than total blindness.
    Welcome to the party

#7 hill, Jun 23, 2024 at 9:12 AM
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2024 at 12:32 PM
  8. DOHCtor

DOHCtor Member

Vehicle:
    2024 Prius Prime
    Model:
    SE
    I know that if the car brake because there is a car in front of me it's normal behavior. When the car brake by itself when cruising on a empty backroad with no obstacles or other cars in sight however...

That being said, i'm going to try using the standard Cruise Control and see if it's a case of weird ACC behavior.

P.S. I don't use cruise control in town.

9. Zeromus

Zeromus Member

Vehicle:
    2024 Prius Prime
    Model:
    SE
    My best guess is that there was something ahead of you on the road that happened to trick the camera into thinking there was a car. The light hitting the lens a certain way for example, or shining off something like a road sign in the distance that had the car interpret it as a vehicle.

The worst I get is when cars are parked on the side of the road, around a bend, and the car's precollission system applies brake power thinking I'm approaching another car and won't be making a turn.

10. DOHCtor

DOHCtor Member

Vehicle:
    2024 Prius Prime
    Model:
    SE
    Yeah it happens too but in that case i know what happens!

11. Blackat

Blackat Member

Vehicle:
    2023 Prius
    Model:
    Limited AWD-e
    Yeah, that's why I disabled most of these "safety" features.

12. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    None on my RAV4 Prime (so I won't answer the poll), though I've rolled up only 7k miles so far, not much of a sample. And I do use DRCC on undivided two-lane highways.

13. Paul Gregory

Paul Gregory Active Member

Vehicle:
    2024 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XSE
    Could something like a moth have triggered your collision sensor? My proximity alarm will go off when I'm in tall grass.

14. AndersOne

AndersOne Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Exactly, we should not confuse the traditional Tesla phantom breaking where the car starts braking suddenly on an otherwise empty road with the oversensitive braking with TSS 3.0

Personally I had never phantom breaking but the car did quite alot of brakings because it thought I might hit something which was actually outside of my driving trajectory. I use the crusie control most of the time though in many conditions - even in cities.

On reason I think TSS 3.0 is more sensitve compared to older systems is because it has an extra wide front radar and scans more of the left and right as well.

soft_r likes this.