1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

General maintenance costs

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Dirk Lerxst, Aug 5, 2009.

1. Dirk Lerxst

Dirk Lerxst New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    This might seem like a strange question, but let me fill you in first: I'm thinking of ditching my Honda Ridgeline for a Prius. It's a great truck, but I drive 75 miles a day and the gas is killing me. On top of that, it seems like I'm constantly doing some kind of scheduled maintenance, something I have never done on another vehicle that I've ever owned before.

Just today my Maintenance Minder popped up to tell me that I'm facing not only the usual oil change but transmission fluid, rear differential fluid, and general inspection. It'll cost $200, maybe more. And in between that and oil changes are other smaller items that need to be done. I just feel like the truck has grown to be much more expensive than I imagined it would be, which is why I ask what the general maintenance costs of the Prius are.

If I get a new Prius, will I be returning to the world of $30-40 oil changes and tire rotations, or is there other maintenance that one should expect? I want to be back in a car where I can say, "Oh, it's oil change time. I'll head to Jiffy Lube," rather than needing to make an inconvenient appointment to drop my truck off for a day for a good 1/3 of its maintenance. It won't keep me from getting one, but I'd like to know in advance what to expect.

2. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Well that is good thing. There have been a few other folks hot about cost of oil changes for their new car. From other posts on PC you will notice that the oil changes will cost more (due to synthetic oil about $35-45 DYI or 50-60+ Dealer) and probably more frequent (5,000 miles or 6 months) depending how often you do them now.

With that said, there a lot of other things you will not have to worry about. Like no belts, fewer lubrications to check, etc. I just glanced at the maintenance schedule and it seem a lot simpler than say for my Kia van.

I am sure others will have more details but I perceve that maintenance will be a lot less overall on the Prius than most others.

Peter

2 people like this.
  3. JRitt

JRitt Bio-Medical Equip. Tech

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Oil is the only thing (routine maintainence wise) we can complain of because in the first 100,000 mi all you have is 20 oil/filter changes, 20 tire rotations, 3 cabin air filter cleanings and 3 cabin air filter changes. I am a DIYer so I'm looking at $1000 over the first 100K miles (I'll let Toyota see it every 25K mi or so for an oil change and inspection)

1 person likes this.
  4. Dirk Lerxst

Dirk Lerxst New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm used to 5,000 mile oil changes, they're mandated by Honda's Maintenance Minder for my Ridgeline. Higher-cost oil changed is a concern, but as long as I can take it anywhere I want and I'm not tied to the dealership's shop like I have been to Honda's, I'll be happy. I get Jiffy Lube coupons all the time and rarely get to use them.

5. LRKingII

LRKingII New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    jiffy lube + Prius?:eek::frusty:

6. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    IMO changing synthetic oil every 5000 miles is a waste. I run ~7500 on regular oil. Lots of oil threads here. Do what you want. Air filters are very easy DIY items.

7. ALS

ALS Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    There is a good reason for the 5K mile oil changes. The engine is stopping and starting many times during the day while driving.

The car I replaced with a Prius I ran Mobil 1 and 5K mile oil changes.
    The oil was toast as they say according to oil analysis by 5K miles.

Why?

Same reason as why Toyota wants 5K mile synthetic oil changes. I make lots of short trips and that is considered SEVEAR use.

Because the Prius engine is starting and stopping so much due to the car being a hybrid the engine oil never gets up to normal operating temperatures above 190 degrees. That means any fuel or moisture contamination that is occurring to the oil during normal use of the car never gets "boiled" off. That is considered severe duty.

My Highway car that is used exclusively on the interstate is one year or 10K mile oil changes. If I drove it as my daily driver 5K mile oil changes would be the norm.

I hope this helps explain why Toyota requires the 5K mile synthetic oil changes.

1 person likes this.
  8. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I not an oil engineer or anything but I would suspect that because there will be an increased demand of 0W-20 that a manufacture will likely come out with a cheaper, non-synthetic or blend alternative. Then we will all be back to normal costs for an oil change.
    From what I gather, the Toyota 0W-20 may very well be a blend.

Peter

9. a64pilot

a64pilot Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I doubt Jiffy Lube will do a Prius. It's not a spin on oil filter. I'm sure, but have NO proof that the 5,000 mile oil change interval is due to a law suit, not anything mechanical.
    You should consider doing your own maintenance. Why leave it to the High School drop out at Jiffy lube? I can say that because I am a mechanic, and was even a High School drop out for a while.

10. john1701a

john1701a Prius Guru

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    The quick change places are accustom to filter inserts and removing plastic. They even carry 0W-20 synthetic. I checked already.

Of course, I've changed oil once myself in the 2010 now too. $46.49 for first-time costs (since I needed a new wrench). $37.24 for subsequent. Those values represent the use of 4.4 quarts of oil, which brings the level up to the "full" mark. 1/4" below that takes precisely 4 quarts.

Many photos were taken. An oil-change document is on the way...

1 person likes this.
  11. donkitchen

donkitchen Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Look forward to the photos of the process. I can say that my first experience with an insert was in my 2006 Hyundai Sonata and I definitely have liked using that kind of filter vs. a screw on metal type. The Sonata is top mounted which also made the process much easier!

12. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    My Kia Sedona is the same and I really like the setup. However the Prius container is under the car and that will make it a chore / dirty I am sure.
    Peter

13. MaggieMay

MaggieMay Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Any reason why my neighborhood mechanic who's been sucessfully caring for several Gen I and II Prius's shouldn't be able to perform the regular maintenance on my Gen III? Anything radically different for him?

Thanks!

14. jestoy7

jestoy7 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Maggie, it should be completely fine. Just buy the oil, filter and tool for him. The ONLY benefit of the dealer doing it is that they rotate your tires, which your neighbor could do but its much easier on a lift.

15. MaggieMay

MaggieMay Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Thanks Jestoy7. He's a real mechanic - meaning he owns and operates his own shop. So having him rotate the tires will be simple. Assuming he has acquired and uses the appropriate tools, etc for the other Prii he works on, it will be very convenient to drive two blocks, drop off the car and walk back to my home office. :cool:

16. jestoy7

jestoy7 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Maggie, the tool I mention is one that Toyota made to pull the filter cartridge without damaging the case. I don't know if the Gen II uses that same style, but the tool is real cheap (I just priced it) and it costs less than $10.

1 person likes this.
  17. eddiehaskell

eddiehaskell Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    But doesn't Toyota recommend a longer oil change interval in other countries? Honda has the oil life indicator on the Insight hybrid and I think some owners get signaled for an oil at 7.5-10k miles.

So does the Prius really need the oil changed every 5k miles when it's out of warranty?

18. ALS

ALS Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    It's looking like Toyota is playing it safe because they don't have an oil life indicator. Why not is the $64K question?

I wouldn't go on instinct. I'd start running oil analysis on the oil about a year out before the warranty is up. Based on the results go from there. Everyone drives different and lives in different conditions so be safe and get it checked before extending your oil changes.