1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

General Motors hires former Vice Chairman Bob Lutz to advise its senior leaders

Discussion in 'Other Cars' started by cwerdna, Sep 2, 2011.

1. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Klutz is back again!

General Motors hires Lutz to advise company execs - Yahoo! Finance
    I guess they need it because of General Motors CEO Dan Akerson Is Not a Car Guy - BusinessWeek...

First Annual Bob Lutz Award: It's Eponymous | The Truth About Cars has some great quotes from Lutz. TTAC even has Your Nominations Please: Announcing The 2010-2011 Lutzie Awards For Outrageous Auto Exec Quotes | The Truth About Cars now. :)

2. V8Cobrakid

V8Cobrakid Green Handyman

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    wasn't the new CEO put in to deal money.. not cars?... forced from the bankruptcy?

isn't lutz the guy who made all this extra debt for gm in the 1st place?...

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    ugh. jaws, the sequel.

4. Rokeby

Rokeby Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    He's b-a-a-ck!

Take your pick:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Or both for that matter. :D

2 people like this.
  5. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Not sure but GM's been through several CEOs since right before their bankruptcy. Rick Wagoner was fired by the government and replacd by Fritz Henderson. Then there was Whitacre and now Akerson. GM CEO Whitacre retiring; Dan Akerson to take place - Aug. 12, 2010 mentions them.

6. JimN

JimN Let the games begin!

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Let's see what he does with the labor contract. Pushing the union to strike & halt production is one way to reduce inventory.

7. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I keep wondering about GM's recent decision to not honor the warranty of the cars from the 'old' GM. I would like to hear Lutz's opinion, just for snickers.

8. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm so glad I don't support this rediculous company anymore.

1 person likes this.
  9. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I'm just glad I don't own a GM car! Never have, and now probably never will. Refuse to honor warranties? Given the likelihood of another bankruptcy and another bailout, you'd have to be a mighty reckless person to buy a GM car now!

10. xs650

xs650 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I just called my local Chevy dealer and they said my warranty is still fully in effect.

Do you have reliable source that says GM is not honoring old GM warranties other than Drudge and internet hysteria?

11. Rokeby

Rokeby Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    The old-GM vs. new-GM warranty brouhaha deals specifically with
    suspension/tire wear issues on the Impala:

GM Impala Lawsuit

FWIW, some discussion here:

CleanMPG thread

12. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    my 90 year old father was a huge gm guy until he lost a good part of his savings in worthless gm stock. he's moved on to chrysler, but i'm afraid that might finish him off.:(

13. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Several issues here: Legally, New GM and Old GM are different companies. That's apparently the basis for the lawyers' argument against liability. But when you buy a company, you get their liabilities as well as their assets.

Another issue, is that it's all b.s. about their being different companies. Legally, yes. But it's the same company under the same management with the same executives (even if the top one or two got fired) and the same workers and the same factories and the same car models.

And yet another issue is public relations: Some companies step up to the plate and take responsibility. Other companies do everything they can to leave the customers holding the bag. Who in their right mind is going to trust GM now? Sure, they might continue to make individual repairs, but when a big issue involving lots of cars comes up, will they do the recall and fix them? Would you buy a used car knowing that the company might argue that it is not responsible because the original owner bought it from "Old" GM, and not from "New" GM? Or simply that your warranty agreement or the recall liability is with the "Old" company, and not the "New" company?

If Americans are not complete imbeciles, the value of any used GM car will now drop significantly because the whole liability issue is uncertain, and the "New" company has made it clear that it will do its best to weasel out of any serious obligations.

And they're setting the pattern for the next bankruptcy and bailout, which given the lack of real change in company philosophy, is likely.

14. daniel

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    A good reason not to put a significant part of your savings in any individual company.

15. xs650

xs650 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Yup. You should never put a significant amount of you assets in any one company. Unfortunately a lot of people have so much faith in their employer that they invest a good share of their savings in their employer. Then they get a double whammy when their employer goes Tango Uniform and leaves them without a job or savings.:eek:

16. SpikeVFR

SpikeVFR New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I know that was talked about, when they were going into BK, but I thought that idea was discarded as a public relations disaster? And since the US Government was rescuing them, that the government put it in as one of the stipulations for help (well, not really help, more of a total rescue) that warranties had to continue to be honored.

Unfortunately I have owned a GM car. I'll say this, it was cheap. Well not to own unfortunately, that was expensive, but to buy it was cheap! ;-) That was maybe my first life lesson on the difference between cheap and inexpensive - an important distinction. I traded that car in on a Mazda that was older and had more miles, and I had to pay for the privilege. And I was happy to do it!

My dad however kept buying, driving and complaining about his GM's until just a few years ago.

17. SpikeVFR

SpikeVFR New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    the analogy of when you buy a company you buy their liabilities does not apply here. Nobody bought GM, "new" GM was not a spin off of old GM. GM went thru bankruptcy. In bankruptcy court contracts and obligations can be erased or modified, that is part of why they go thru the BK proceedings. In this case, the BK process split the company into two companies, one got all the stuff they thought was viable, one got all the stuff that was dragging down GM or was a burden.

So even if a company is bought by another company as part of their bankruptcy, the obligations don't usually follow. Sometimes if the courts deem their is a compeling reason, but usually not.

18. rebenson

rebenson Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    This is true. However the "NEW" GM has gone out and fixed "OLD" GM vehicles ... OUT of warranty.... They also fixed the suspension on the Impalas in the lawsuit.... for police departments.... So there may be some issues for them in those issues. Also, it's a MAJOR ... Public Relations NIGHTMARE for them... They already are not a well liked company because of the bail out.. Why not fix the cars (quietly). This is killing any advertising that they do...

19. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    GM continues to honor old_GM warranties as laid out in the government mandate to receive a bail-out, but they are now trying to weasel out of what they term 'design_defects.'

Only GM could try to construe a design defect as not a warranty issue. Man, what a scumbag of a company.

1 person likes this.
  20. skilbovia

skilbovia Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Can you imagine what Toyota would be like if Lutz ever worked for them? Prius would have been cancelled in 2004 because of 0-60 speed or some other inane reason. The Camry would probably look like SuperChugger. (Gotta have 2 year old grandkids to understand that reference)