1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Generation 3 Prius catalytic converters are not as hard to steal as I thought

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Georgina Rudkus, Mar 27, 2021.

1. Georgina Rudkus

Georgina Rudkus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    After reviewing this YouTube video, I thought the Gen 3 cat was hard to steal and not readily targeted.

After several months of thinking on the issue and seeing a video of one stolen in the UK, I can see now how they are as steal as the Gen 2 models. It just a matter of cutting the right place with a Sawzall and not cutting the liquid preheater coolant lines.

2. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Didn’t you just say you DIDN’T want to post such info lol.

Ah anyway, probably best we know the how and why, and the thieves likely already do.

Georgina Rudkus and Grit like this.
  3. Grit

Grit Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I won’t believe that it’s easy to steal until someone shows a video of the “quick” process. Seeing be believing.

Georgina Rudkus likes this.
  4. PriusII&C

PriusII&C Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thieves be aware, stealing a gen-3 prius catalytic converter can have serious consequence!

Georgina Rudkus likes this.
  5. Georgina Rudkus

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    This video from the UK of a cat stolen in minutes off of a Gen 3 got me thinking,

Knowing where to cut is very easy to determine. I don't want to help future thieves, here. Just like the Gen 2, it's two bolts and one cut and another on the oxygen sensor wire is all that's needed to take the cat out. They even know what is the best side from which to attack the cat.

#5 Georgina Rudkus, Mar 27, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2021
    Mendel Leisk likes this.
  6. Georgina Rudkus

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    The stupid idiot used an OEM scissors jack that is used for changing tires and never to get under a car. He was too cheap to but a $30 Walmart trolley jack or a $60 Harbor Freight aluminum jack.

Years ago, when they made steel bumpers, people regularly got injured or killed getting under cars supported only by bumper jacks.

Also, he was apparently a rank amateur, because he had cut into the pre-heater lines evidenced by the fluid leaking under the car.

#6 Georgina Rudkus, Mar 27, 2021
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2021