1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Generic blank key wth chip 3 blinks, pause, 3 pause, etc..?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Jeff54, May 19, 2015.

1. Jeff54

Jeff54 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Generic blank key with chip 3 blinks, pause, 3 pause, etc..?

Ok 1st off I know this subject has been hashed 100's of times because, I read through most of them.

8 days ago I bought a 2005 Prius package #6 with installed head rest DVD too. 201,000 THOUSAND MILES! I can't believe it did that!?? [grin] but dang the car is in remarkable condition, clean carfax and 1 single owner, @ $4,200 bucks, I couldn't refuse.

Currently averaging 42 MPG while learning to adapt driving habits to get more.

Anyways; I'm also new to smart key operation and OMG I only got 1 smart key which is scary! So, after studying and learning the ins and outs of these, new verses used etc.

The 'hat dance', 5 times master key, 6 times door, watch blinky security icon till it stops and presto bingo you're new key is partially programed. I got that but, I couldn't find this happening..

I picked up a cheap chipped key off e-bay. "2003 - 2011 Toyota Transponder Key - 4D 67 (Without logo)" $10 delivered. It's suppose to unite with prius's ecu but rather than blink 1 time after the hat trick and installing the new key backwards and holding it in, it began blinking 3 times, pause, 3 times, pause, etc and after an minute or two began flashing 1 time pause, 1 time pause and never stopped.. after holding dang key in backwards for 5 minutes, I give. after 4-5 attempts the key is not working.

So, what is the ECU trying to tell me with the 3 blinks?

#1 Jeff54, May 19, 2015
    Last edited: May 19, 2015
  2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    You should have spent $100 for the proper sks key. That's the best function of the car, and you are willing to live without it?

3. Jeff54

Jeff54 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II

Nope but I'm obviously not going to drop 100 bucks on new remote smart key as, my urgency is having a basic spare key.. and then decide if I want and can go the distance wit another hat trick, (I read those blogs too) on a brand new never programed key. verses handing over 300 bucks to my local dealer who claims that there's no hat trick to do it. , ( I checked with them too) . [wink]

all I need to know at the moment is: what does 3 blink pause, 3 blink pause, etc. mean?

Maybe the ECU is telling me that the cheap chipped key is bogus, but unless translated 3 blink pause might as well be in Chinese. {grin]

#3 Jeff54, May 19, 2015
  4. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The key you bought for $11, is just a regular key. You have to take it out to open the door, insert into key slot to start the car, etc. With a smart key (SKS), your key stays in your pocket and you never have to take out any keys. Walk up to the door and it opens, Press the start button and the car starts.

You already have one of these SKS keys, but just make sure you don't lose it. That $11 spare key, isn't going to do much when you lose the original.

5. Jeff54

Jeff54 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    the key I bought for 10 bucks, not 11, lol. is:
    "2003 - 2011 Toyota Transponder Key - 4D 67 (Without logo)" has a 4D chip inside and the same type of chip inside my master smart key too. . that's the latest chip as 04 uses a different chip. I spent quite a time checking and double checking differences and what the Toyota logo key has inside to insure I'm matched 4D to 4D transponder chip.

That key will only open doors manually but, or and stick it in backwards ECU reads the 4D chip, , push start button and go.. I.E. it's the perfect spare, no battery, no limits on basic usage.

if 3 blink pause translates into ECU calling out bogus chip, then I refund and buy the danged logo key.. but, 1 step at a time.. 3 blink pause means what?

#5 Jeff54, May 19, 2015
  6. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The chip is for the immobilizer, it'll allow you to start the car when inserted into the key slot. This is a basic key, like owning a corolla

7. Jeff54

Jeff54 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II

I'm glad to see we're both on the same page now. [grin]

Perhaps I should elaborate. I might be new to smart key, but I've been using data from ecu's since Cadillac put them in the 76 Seville. I am not new to automotive computer tech. However, every new toy has their own priority system of codes that'll display when ya do the hat tricks. most know 1 blink, pause is the ECU's code saying it's processing the new identity on the chip, but,, I could not find anybody saying they got 3 blinks and pause or translation for that:what the ECU is saying when 'hat tricking' for new key ID and ECU is blinking 3 times then pause, 3, pause, 3 pause etc. . ..

#7 Jeff54, May 19, 2015
  8. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    you would need to contact the people that sold you the spare key, or possibly wait for someone here that's familiar with that key. I think the person that sold you that key is a member of this forum, I can't remember his handle, but he's posted many times about the key you are describing.

9. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    congrats and welcome! i don't recall anyone being able to program a ten dollar key. i would try pm ing some of the people who have written successful threads on programming. all the best!(y)

10. dpeverhart

dpeverhart Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    I
    I'm curious about this too. I tried the same procedure with same chip key and had no luck. You're right, it makes a perfect spare key if we can figure out how to get it working

11. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    It might not be the right chipset

12. Jeff54

Jeff54 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Whelp, accordingly, it's the old 5 in and out slide, pop the door 6, switch and wait, one more on the door to finalize trick. I presume of course you tried that too eh?

There's a U-tube of a guy doing it but, he's using the logo key. You've seen that U-tube video, which makes it really simple to understand and do, yes?? Yet, all the info out there indicates the only difference between the logo key and blank key with chip seems to be, one china manufacture abridging logo copyright and another china manufacture (non-logo) not.

The e-bay seller I got mine from says he doesn't know about the tricks to program them, they are simply a locksmith supplier. And yes the seller is happy to resolve but, Heck $10 buck key, is talking to me, "3 blink pause, 3 blink pause" I don't want to bounce it until code is deciphered.

#12 Jeff54, May 20, 2015
    Last edited: May 20, 2015
  13. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    If I recall correctly, it has to have wrong chipset, works in a Camry though

14. Jeff54

Jeff54 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Flashing code up-date. after trying it a few more times I realized it is not 3 blink pause rather it's 2 and 1.

2 quick flashes then 1 blink and pause. so the code would be saying; first means 2 or 20 and second means 1 or 10.

15. usnavystgc

usnavystgc Die Hard DIYer and Ebike enthusiast.

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Jeff,
    Its great that you have this "spare" key but, what if you lose your one and only SKS key? Then you will have to pay the dealer a large amount of money to get that function back. I'm certain I don't know as much as you about auto key technology but, I would hate for you to lose your one and only smart key. I highly recommend buying a brand new SKS fob and programming it using the chicken dance (which is a sticky on the Gen II Prius main forum).

Unfortunately, I can't offer any advice on this situation.

#15 usnavystgc, May 20, 2015
    Last edited: May 20, 2015
  16. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    What is the name of the member selling the blank keys? I can't remember his name if my life depended on it

17. usnavystgc

usnavystgc Die Hard DIYer and Ebike enthusiast.

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    His Priuschat username is ovni.

18. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    OP: You can text a message to OVNI and he'll point you to the right direction regarding the spare key you are working on.

Thanks Navy......at least your memory is not failing

19. Jeff54

Jeff54 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II

Yes, it is quite scary walking planet earth wit one master smart key, agreed. I do intend to get one but first me likes to learn the dances, trickle spending, budget minded, start small and move as needed or required. . Wait, isn't that the whole reason people buy hybrids? [grin]

Besides, before I bought mine, 200,100 THOUSAND MILES! ( my brain is having problems still, registering the fact that I actually did that) ) for $4,200, I planed an expense budget of another $1,000. And because big things can happen fast on these, (complete duel motor/engine system) I aint running around and buying junk until I'm completely comfortable as is.

Fortunately, thanks to this and the other forum I managed to gain an insight before, and, I mean minutes before, I hopped onto a used key, (dumb key).

And dang, holy cow, no wonder the hybrid market wasn't flooded the 1st few years. From programming to repair and driving it's a whole new ball game. Geez, I thought I was on top of the game because, I've experienced all the OBD I and II functions, their hat tricks (chicken dance) and variable codes for the past 30+ years.

what's worse my 05 is 10 years behind the game.

20. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    You better spend lots of time learning about your 10 year old car here. $1000 ain't going to cut it on this car if you don't DIY