1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Genuine Toyota Parts vs Aftermarket

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by BentSpace, Jun 28, 2011.

1. BentSpace

BentSpace Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    In the past I've always shopped around to find the cheapest aftermarket parts I could find. Though the cars I drove were pretty cheap anyway, so it didn't really matter much. Now that I've falling in love with Prius and don't see myself every going back to anything else, I starting wondering about the whole Genuine vs. Aftermarket debate. I realize that being cheap doesn't always save money. Like if you buy some cheap part that ends up failing and destroying some other more expensive part, that's definitely not saving money. Even just the increased risk can be considered a cost. So what do you guys think, is it worth it the price to only use Genuine Toyota Parts for everything?

Or do you actually save money in the long term by using after market parts?

Or does it depend on the part?

2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I have wasted enough time in the past, trying to use aftermarket parts that don't fit; that I now will only buy Toyota-brand parts, or parts from the original equipment supplier to Toyota, sold under the OE brand.

1 person likes this.
  3. BentSpace

BentSpace Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Is there quality control whatsoever in the aftermarket or can they just slap together any old thing that resembles the original part.

4. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Quality control is based upon the individual manufacturer's business practice. Hence if you choose aftermarket it would be wise to purchase a reputable name brand.

5. kenoarto

kenoarto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I buy Cosnumer Reports top rated windshield wipers because I really like a large blade. I bought several of the cheapest cabin air filters I could find online. I replaced the tires once (the originals Good Years didn't even make 25,000 miles grrrrrr). Toyota does my oil change. What else is therel to buy?

6. seilerts

seilerts Battery Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    There's not that much you can use that is aftermarket. Tires are already aftermarket. I trust KYB for replacement struts, Gates for replacement belts. There was a story recently about a lady that had an aftermarket steering rack installed. Was it remanufactured, a plain old salvage pull?

Speaking of salvage, that can be a good source of parts, as the proprietary ones fail more often and are the most expensive to buy new.