1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Geocaching with the Prius vs. Motorcycle

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by Metalman, Mar 27, 2011.

1. Metalman

Metalman Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Until recently almost all of our geocaching (Geocaching - The Official Global GPS Cache Hunt Site) has been with one of our motorcycles. The typical fuel mileage during this often stop, park, and go activity with the bikes is around 38 mpg. Yesterday we invited a friend to geocache with us so we used the Prius. We had a plug-in electric cooler running and the AC. Our fuel indication display hovered around 54 to 55 mpg.

The actual mileage for the tank (450 miles of city driving, highway driving, and geocaching driving) was 51.67 mpg. Still, the excitement of riding a motorcycle is worth the extra cost of getting there.

1 person likes this.
  2. carter166

carter166 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I have done quite a bit of geocaching in my prius. Its great for the constant stops and keeping the mpg's up.

3. DavidA

DavidA Prius owner since July 2009

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Heck, the nav unit can even display the continuous GPS readout if you want to drive right up and onto the cache.

4. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    'My' 10-G3, at 55 MPG, gets better gas mileage than either of my motorcycles....
    '06 Harley V-Rod: 35 MPG
    '09 Kawasaki Vulcan 900LT: 45 MPG

Although I've heard some grumblings from the frozen North that sub freezing temps will drop a Prius' MPG down close to my Vulcan's.

If you're looking to get from place "a" to place "b", it's hard to beat a Prius for efficiency---at least where personal transportation is concerned.
    However (comma!) I think that 99.44% of motorcycle riders out there will tell you that riding is always preferable to driving, barring things like inclimate weather or having to lug crumb-crunchers along.

It's like music or art. If you have to ask "why", you'd never understand the answer...:D

5. dtuite

dtuite Silverback

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I had a 250 Virago that got mileage in the 60s. But it made me nervous on the freeway. Now the K75 and the 650 Burgman are good highway machines, but they don't come particularly close to 50. (Then, if I amortize the $$ for the Aerostitch and the helmet over the miles I actually ride . . . .)

The only things that have been worse than the bikes dollar-wise have been the planes and the boats.

But I wouldn't have swapped any of them for a car, even a TR2, much less a Prius.

Geocaching seems like a good excuse to throw a leg over.

As mundane transportation, the Prius is adequate, comfort-and safety-wise, and is exceptional at passing gas stations.