1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

George Herbert Walker and Prescott Bush

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by dragonfly, Jan 21, 2007.

1. dragonfly

dragonfly New Member

Godwin's Law notwithstanding....

In 1942, President Roosevelt signed the Trading With the Enemy Act, leading to the seizure of banking operations of, among others, Union Banking Corporation (UBC), for profiteering with the Nazis.

Who do you suppose was on the Board of Directors for UBC at the time? George H.W. Bush's father, Prescott Bush. And the President of UBC was GHWB's grandfather, Herbert Walker.

It was the money earned by the Bush family during this time that was used to launch their investments in the energy industry.

Source: Wikipedia.

2. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Outsourcing = Profit

Privatizing = Profit

Free market = Profit

Deregulation = Profit

No-bid contracts = PROFIT!!

Profit = good

It's the Amerikan way.

Where have you been?

3. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    All the truly great fortunes were made dishonestly, if not illegally.

4. Mirza

Mirza New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Godiva @ Jan 21 2007, 02:54 AM) [snapback]378600[/snapback]</div>

This thread is now in my arguments folder! Reminds me of that movie - forget the name - 13 blocks? bah - the one about the Nazi sellout who in the movie was the major owner of a bank... to have a diamond stolen and then returned back to him... what was that movie called?

Lord of War (Nicholas Cage) deals with the topic... great movie and statement on one aspect of war profiteering.

5. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Not all profit is bad.

But not all profit is good either.

I am starting to think that the real difference between Democrats and Republicans is that Democrats see everything in various shades of gray and Republicans only see black and white.

Monopolies are generally bad but not all monopolies are bad. I think AT&T should never have been broken up. In the end it cost consumers more and the service was worse. It also hindered law enforcement in tracking, say childhood runaways who called home and the calls couldn't be traced.

Free markets are generally good, but not all free markets are good. The deregulation of the energy industry in California was very bad. It opened us up to abuse and illegal price gouging by ENRON and even though it's been outed and those involved sorta, kinda punished we NEVER GOT OUR MONEY BACK. (That's to BUSH. He said he wouldn't do anything to help California because we didn't vote for him. And true to his word he did NOTHING.)

6. dragonfly

dragonfly New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Mirza @ Jan, 05:59 PM) [snapback]378823[/snapback]</div>
    What's an arguments folder?

7. EricGo

EricGo New Member

I found wikipedia interesting, if anecdotal.

In any case, any allegations of Nazi collaboration by the bushes during WW II for profits sake, would hold double true for the Harriman family --as well known and entrenched in Democratic circles in that era, as the Bush family is in Repub circles today.

8. Mystery Squid

Mystery Squid Junior Member

Yeah, and if you buy/use anything from BASF you're hands are tainted by the blood of anyone Hitler killed too!!!

9. MegansPrius

MegansPrius GoogleMeister, AKA bongokitty

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(EricGo @ Jan 22 2007, 07:56 AM) [snapback]378928[/snapback]</div>
    I quite agree. An interesting story that I knew nothing of, but which quickly becomes difficult to weed out from general conspiracy thinking. Wiki linked to coverage of it in The Guardian (the only major press source on it I could see) that gives a reasonably evenhanded presentation of the story and makes for an interesting read (and alas, does NOT quite confirm my preconceived wish to find that they were just as bad war profiteers in the past as in the present). http://www.guardian.co.uk/usa/story/0,12271,1312540,00.html

10. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah, damn that President Harriman!