1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Georgia HOV lane news and POLL

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by megeant, Jun 9, 2006.

1. megeant

megeant New Member

I recently bought a used 04 package #1 and love the car. I went to get my tags today and asked about the AFV tags. I was told that it wasnt qualified to get the AF tag. I was shocked. She showed me a list of vehicles that are( here on priusonline )
    Seems only Ethanol fuel vehicles are. Only Georgia Power Ethanol vehicles are the exception. Needless to say I was shocked.

2. kkb

kkb New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Megeant @ Jun 9 2006, 11:40 AM) [snapback]268610[/snapback]</div>
    Although the Georgia legislature passed a law that would allow certain hybrids to get ATV tags and use the HOV lanes, the state EPD is waiting for the regulations from the EPA on interpretation of the federal legislation that passed last summer. I don't understand why GA has to wait when other states have already implemented the hybrid HOV provision.

3. megeant

megeant New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(kkb @ Jun 9 2006, 02:35 PM) [snapback]268716[/snapback]</div>
    Because everything happens so slow in georgia. If they go any slower they will be going backwards :lol: But I sure do like living here

1 person likes this.
  4. jimmyhua

jimmyhua New Member

Actually the thing that I am more surprised about is the fact that the Prius cannot use FlexFuels.

Ethanol is much easier to burn than gasoline. It's easier to make an engine run efficiently with alcohol than it is gas. The only difference is the air/fuel mix ratio.

So why can't the Prius burn Ethanol like a 2001 Ford Taurus?

Jimmy

5. wstander

wstander New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jimmyhua @ Jun 13 2006, 05:04 PM) [snapback]270804[/snapback]</div>
    Some brave souls have experimented with up to 35% ethanol with no ill effects.

Unfortunately, you may not wish to. Check out the mpg difference on FFVs between gasoline and E85; in most cases the fuel consumption increases with E85 (ie: 30mpg on gas goes to 22mpg on E85).

I suspect that someone could modify a Prius to not only burn ethanol, but retuned to be more efficient.

It won't happen in California, but...

6. mikepaul

mikepaul Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jimmyhua @ Jun 13 2006, 08:04 PM) [snapback]270804[/snapback]</div>
    When Japan finds a way to grow enough corn to make and use E85 at home, they'll start engineering cars to burn it.

Until then, they seem unwilling to E85-ize their cars just for us...

7. andrle@bellsouth.net

[email protected] New Member

This web site link has a good summary of where things stand officially: http://www.dot.state.ga.us/specialsubjects/hov/hov-afv.shtml

Georgia law allowing hybrids to get "Alternative Fueled Vehicle" license plates (aka tags) and to drive in HOV lanes is at Georgia Code Section 32-9-4 (allowing use of Georgia’s HOV lanes by certain hybrids if such use of HOV lanes is permitted by Federal law), and Section 40-2-76 (specifying the issuance of license plates for hybrid vehicles for such use).

Georgia's Department of Natural Resources has taken the position that they must wait for the U.S. E.P.A. to conduct a rule making and issue a list of vehicles. However, this position is belied by the fact that other states have already proceeded to enable HOV access. Florida is one example – right next door. A year ago already Florida issued its list of approved vehicles and implemented their program (using vehicle stickers). You can view it at http://www.hsmv.state.fl.us/html/titlinf.html I brought this to the attention of William Cook, who is in charge of this issue at Georgia DNR’s Environmental Protection Division (404- 363-7028), almost a year ago. Yet as I understand it they have NOT followed Florida’s example and moved this thing forward.

Why Florida has moved forward smoothly on this issue, while Georgia’s state agencies are frozen on this and flouting Georgia law?

Call Mr. Cook and complain. Also contact Judy Reynolds at Governor Purdue's office (who handles DNR matters) and complain -- 404-656-1776.

8. dwsscs

dwsscs New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Any update on this? I am currently trying to persuade them based on this as opposed to the AFV plate:

HYBRIDS IN HOV CORRIDORS
    The federal transportation bill of 2005 gave states the right to issue single occupant HOV

lane stickers to hybrid vehicle owners. Not all hybrids qualify, however. California

requires an AT PZEV emissions rating and an EPA highway fuel economy of 45 mpg or better

(per EPA's 2007 and earlier test protocol). If the hybrid is a 2004 model year or older, it

can qualify as a ULEV. In other words, only the Prius, Civic Hybrid, and Honda Insight

qualify for the gold Certified Clean Air Vehicle sticker. California also provides white

CCAV stickers for clean alternative fuel vehicles including CNG and hydrogen fueled vehicles

and several with electric drive.

9. 1SMUGLEX

1SMUGLEX I love the smug!

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Lmao!:rockon:

I have a family member who I helped get a RX 400h. HE was driving in the HOV lane thinking since he had a hybrid he was okay. Luckily he never got pulled over.

lol

10. JimboPalmer

JimboPalmer Tsar of all the Rushers

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    At least you have HOV lanes. You could be Mississippi, and have none.

11. dwsscs

dwsscs New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    How many of you would be interested here? I am pushing the state agencies and my local reps to get to the bottom of this. I urge you to contact your local house rep (and those on the transportation committee), James Udi at GA Department of Natural Resources, GA DOT, GA DoR, the and start pushing the issue.

If your local rep is on that committee contact him also. Anyone here interested in being bcc on my correspondence, PM me.

12. dwsscs

dwsscs New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A