1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

German Government tells BMW, Mercedes, VW, so forth "Get Moving On Electric Vehicles!"

Discussion in 'Prius, Hybrid, EV and Alt-Fuel News' started by Rybold, Aug 19, 2009.

1. Rybold

Rybold globally warmed member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Germany jumps in the race for viable electric car

German government puts the pedal to the metal in race for a viable electric car

"the plan calls for electric cars to be put on the market starting in 2012"

Germany jumps in the race for viable electric car - Yahoo! Finance

2. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    guess they rather leapfrog than join the party. Typical Europeans =). Hope it works out for them cause it'll benefit everyone if they can figure it out. (even though electronics/circuitry don't seem to be their forté)

3. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium
    Oh the irony. The German Vroom vroom TV ads tell us, "you WANT noisy power ... you NEED noisy power ... and exhaust ... LOTS of exhaust". I'm so confused. :confused:

;)

4. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    I suspect there was also a translation problem but:
    This is a bad thing?

I think they were trying to discuss the technical aspects of batteries and point out that South Korea and Japan are leading the technology. But the translation reads as if South Korea and Japan are foolishly leading the production of these terrible batteries that are trying to replace engines and gasoline. Seriously, it reads like a bad translation.

Still, I think this is the catch-22:
    Sounds like an election is coming up. How long will this last after the election?

Bob Wilson

5. Rybold

Rybold globally warmed member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    You've never heard of an "international combustion engine" ? :D

I hope this isn't just some political move for an election, but you are probably right. But they did allocate the financial grants though, right? Political or not, that's a done deal (I hope). One way or another, the German automakers are going to have to either adapt or else succumb to natural selection as hybrids and EVs take over.

6. Flying White Dutchman

Flying White Dutchman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    dont forget that VW.. yes VW.. o well the US dirty diesel propaganda is also the company that in the 80's made all electric cars based on the VW Golf. http://www.evalbum.com/2656
    so the technologie is already used and refined for years now only the battery technology is not yet there or is OK for a short range city driving all electric second car.

and after the 80's model 10 years later http://www.evalbum.com/800 or http://www.evalbum.com/1670

7. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I guarantee you all the European fanboys will be all over electrics because their favourite brand made it.

8. PriusSport

PriusSport senior member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Yeah--your assembly plants will be under 10 feet of water in 50 years if you don't. Along with the rest of Europe. But what do the auto execs care? They'll all be dead before then. Which is precisely the problem--there, here and everywhere.