1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

German report about peak oil effects

Discussion in 'Environmental Discussion' started by bwilson4web, Sep 6, 2010.

1. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Green Car Congress: German Military Study Warns of a Potentially Drastic Peak Oil Crisis

Ahem.

Bob Wilson

2. Chuck.

Chuck. Former Honda Enzyte Driver

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ulxe1ie-vEY]YouTube - Peak Oil - How Will You Ride the Slide?[/ame]

3. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Nothing makes a useless organization more important than saving the world. And in order to save the world you need to tell everyone that the world is doomed.

I thought we had moved from the world is doomed from peak oil to the world is doomed from greenhouse gases. Isn't that why we can't have our electric cars cause they will use as much greenhouse gas. We have been about to be doomed from the loss of oil for 90 years. Lets just get some phev and evs out there and kill the doomsday predictions. Who does the German military protect citizens from anyway the nuclear plants in france?

Is “peak oil†the new end-of-the-world? by John Silveira Issue #107
    Matt Ridley: Down with Doom: How the World Keeps Defying the Predictions of Pessimists

4. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney EditProfOptInfoCustomUser Title

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Apparently, from the global Islamic terrorist threat, like the rest of the NATO forces in Afghanistan.

5. chogan2

chogan2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    Possibly, it is worth adding that our own military is concerned about peak oil. I couldn't find the source document, but here's a summary:

US military warns oil output may dip causing massive shortages by 2015 | Business | The Guardian

So, maybe if you're going to have to be the one to restore order, this isn't such a foolish thing to worry about, to try to map out the possible consequences.

The US document was written well before this recession started to linger, so I can forgive them their 2012 price predictions.

Although the language of the US document is more circumspect, the argument is the same: Prolonged, worldwide depression would lead to a lot of additional unrest.

The Germans, perhaps due to their history of monetary collapse in the 20's, were somewhat more graphic about the chain of events. Perhaps that, and the fact that they have no domestic oil supplies to speak of (they have one tiny little oil field).

So, I don't find it odd that military establishments are giving this some consideration, or that the Germans might be a little more freaked out by it.

I think the first economics lesson every schoolchild should learn is that every person's paper asset is somebody else's paper liability. And if they can't pay their liability, you no longer have an asset. That goes for everything from currency to bank deposits to loans to bonds.

I can't figure out how the current general of public and private pension liabilities are going to be paid off in a healthy economy. I can't even imagine what would happen if we had a prolonged zero-growth period. Well, actually, I can, and it's pretty simple: Some people wouldn't get paid back. It's what happens after that that would be interesting.

I think about that every year as I make my SEP-IRA (retirement plan) contribution.

6. burritos

burritos Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius

1 person likes this.
  7. hill

hill High Fiber Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Chevy Volt
    Model:
    Premium