1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Germany decides to abandon nuclear power by 2022

Discussion in 'Environmental Discussion' started by wjtracy, May 31, 2011.

1. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    This is a potentially profound impact of the Japan Tsunami. If there are two nations on this planet with enough discipline to properly manage nukes, you'd think it would be Germany and Japan. OK maybe add USA, but I have my doubts ( I was going to put the military in charge).

Re: EV's this development is important fork in the road. This is over-simplified, but the USA environmental community was basically saying immediate stoppage of all fossil fuel use in the next 10-years, and go full-out on nukes and EV's (and wind/solar). EV's are claimed to be green, not because they are so green today, but because they would be 100% green in this hypothetical zero carbon future. Now there is an implication that the nuke future is weak, meaning we may actually have to continue fossil fuel use. The ability of utilities to provide power for EV's is at question in a less-nukes USA.

These are some of the implications.

2. Corwyn

Corwyn Energy Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    It is not a simple fossil fuel or nuclear power question. The US could go 100% renewable if there was a will to do it.

One lesson from the Japanese experience is that it is not a situation where you want people hiding their mistakes. The US military has far to much experience hiding mistakes.

1 person likes this.
  3. icarus

icarus Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The question is, how much will they rely on coal? I am not a nuke fan, but the question is quite complicated. Let's hope they have the national will to do this right.

Icarus

4. austingreen

austingreen Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Coal's future suddenly looks brighter in Germany | Business | Deutsche Welle | 11.05.2011

5. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Apparently not well enough if you know about them.

:D

Tom

1 person likes this.
  6. cyclopathic

cyclopathic Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Isn't what de-facto happened with US program after Chernobyl? of cause 3-mile island accident and the Challenger disaster did not help.

7. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    America's future energy policy has not yet been established, but I am under the impression that many in Congress, Obama admin, and some enviro. groups have endorsed expanding the role of nuclear and building new USA nuclear facilities in the future. However, the Tsunami represents a potential paradigm shift that could alter this vision.

8. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Possibly over-reaching on my part to suggest military involvement. However, my father was a young nuclear engineer in the early days when Admiral Rickover was running the show. Rickover was (or at least my perception) quite a hands-on micro-manager and strict wth good technical aptitude and vision. This embodies some management qualities we may be lacking today? not sure, in any case, that's where I was coming from.

9. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
  10. austingreen

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    There are pilot ccs and other types that burn coal in co2 an o2 not air, but the general plan is as follows.

Germany to have coal power plants with the least CO<sub>2</sub> emissions? - Interesting energy facts

This is an example of a technology that will be used in new plants

http://www.siemens.com/innovation/e...earch_news/2008/index/e_22_resnews_0814_2.htm

1 person likes this.
  11. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
  12. austingreen

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    The 45%-50% is current tech for new plants using IGCC. The problem is the cost of the plants and there are still some problems with water polution. These plants eliminate a great deal of SO2 and NOx compared to conventional plants. The O2 and CO2 is called oxyfuel and has a pilot plant in Schwarze Pumpe by berlin. You will likely be disapointed in this technology if you don't trust CCS, as though it reduces NOx further the main point is to make it less expensive to add CCS onto a coal plant, and this is planned for the second stage for the demo at Schwarze Pumpe.

For comparison in the united states, there is ample natural gas, and Siemens equivalent CC design is 60% percent efficient, which makes it produce about 42% as much CO2 as the 50% efficient coal plant before sequestration. CCS can be added to either plant.

13. GrumpyCabbie

GrumpyCabbie Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    The thing that makes me laugh (in a sarcastic manner) is that Germany will be shutting down its nuclear plants which generate 23% of their electricity only to import electricity from France!!! France the Country that generates most of its power from nuclear and has so much that it actually makes a fortune exporting it to other Countries - the UK being one and shortly Germany.

So you can't have nuclear in your own Country but it's ok to import nuclear produced electricity from the Country next door? That's ok then? ha ha ha.

1 person likes this.
  14. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    That's interesting. On an earlier post I had mentioned Austria is also importing nuke power from France/Germany. Austria takes it in at night to pump water uphill (hydro) for peak shaving.

15. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Yes, it is classic NIMBY.

Tom

16. austingreen

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    I am sure that the politicians in Germany that want to close the German power plants would also like to close those in France. I doubt with the euro debt crisis it is a burning issue between germany and france though. The politics does speak to some hypocrisy though.

How is that? Germany can not enact a trade barrier from the importation of French power with out some really nasty politics. Germany currently buys off peak power from france and sells it peak power. Nuclear does not have a cost efficient way to throttle down power production which is one reason france sells low cost power when it is greater than their consumption.

17. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I was taking Germany's decision on face value as a correct decision for them, and not NIMBY. If its just NIMBY, forget those profound implications I mentioned. The other thing Germany may be thinking, is EU has enough nukes already with France, so if we draw the boundaries around EU, the implications might not be as pro-found as I mentioned.

18. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    - The Japanese NDP was in the pocket of industry and organized crime for decades and now they're paying for it.
    - The Germans are hysterical Pollyannas. Betcha a dollar they never shut down all of their nuke plants.
    - For the best existing model of nuclear power management, study France.

19. mojo

mojo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Germany must be upwind of France.

20. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I disagree with GC's accusation that German use of French nuclear power is hypocritical, unless France builds more plants to supply Germany.