1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Get A Backbone People!

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by TJandGENESIS, Aug 4, 2007.

1. TJandGENESIS

TJandGENESIS Are We Having Fun Yet?

★Lewisville, part of the Metroplex, Dallas, in the
    Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Get A Backbone People!

I'm a Pro Choice Preacher. I would never dream of telling someone else what to do with their body. And the point asked in the video is valid: What would the punishment be if abortion was illegal? ? I mean, one woman who answered said, it would depend on what was going on with the woman at the time. Would that not, then, also apply to someone who murdered someone else?
    Get A Backbone People!

2. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    When I go nuts and kill my coworkers, I want these people defending me!

"Well, your honor, we need to consider what was going through his mind when he did it. I mean, did he actually know that he was killing his coworkers. Also consider that his conscious is his judge and he will answer to God."

3. Wildkow

Wildkow New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TJandGENESIS @ Aug 4 2007, 01:01 PM) [snapback]490599[/snapback]</div>
    It already does there are varying degrees of murder, therefore the persons state of mind, intent, the way in which the murder was enacted etc. are all considered in each and every murder and certainly in the punishment phase even if there is no question of guilt. In this interview I see people united in a common goal to stop, in their opinion, the murder of unborn children. They are asked if the women who have abortions should be punished and their reluctance to answer shows a certain level of love and sympathy in that they don't want to punish the person they just want them to stop.
    Is this interview a setup? Why does the interviewer not ask if the person performing the abortion should be punished? In almost all cases it takes two to abort a baby does it not and if not why is he not clear upon this point?

Wildkow

p.s. BTW when a woman has an abortion she not just asserting control over her own body their are two lives there.

4. darelldd

darelldd Prius is our Gas Guzzler

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Wildkow @ Aug 4 2007, 02:33 PM) [snapback]490636[/snapback]</div>
    I'm not sure why that would really matter much. These are the people who are proposing making something illegal without giving any thought to a fitting punishment. The punishment in question may only be to half of the "guilty" paries... but it is an important half, one would think.

And given the answers to the punishment of the mother, do you really think these people would have thought about punishment for the Doctors performing the abortion? Though it wasn't asked, it also wasn't thought of either.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Wildkow @ Aug 4 2007, 02:33 PM) [snapback]490636[/snapback]</div>
    considering the argument going on in this thread over here:
    http://priuschat.com/Individual-wrongs-v-c...hts-t36778.html

It would seem that there are plenty of people who think that the rights of anybody performing a damaging action as their "right" have no duty to concern themselves with how it may affect anybody else. All that matters is that they don't have to answer to anybody about THEIR rights. Why should we care how somebody else's choice of cars affects my health? Why should we care if a woman's choice of an abortion kills her baby?

Yes, I'm being crude and a bit of the devil's advocate here. And I'm also quite serious about where that line is drawn. There are those who think the rights of the unborn should be considered in the abortion situation, and still don't think that my right to healthy air, water and national security should be considedred when somebody wants to buy a Hummer. Buying the Hummer and hastening the death already born people is seemingly OK. But the line is drawn at killing the unborn.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TonyPSchaefer @ Aug 4 2007, 01:16 PM) [snapback]490609[/snapback]</div>
    Defense?! You don't need a defense - you would have already been punished, apparently. Now... just don't do it again, you hear?

5. TJandGENESIS

TJandGENESIS Are We Having Fun Yet?

★Lewisville, part of the Metroplex, Dallas, in the
    Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Wildkow @ Aug 4 2007, 05:33 PM) [snapback]490636[/snapback]</div>
    Neither of which is you, unless you are the woman in question.

I would never tell you to wear a raincoat. You might like to get wet in the rain. It's your choice. You can choose to get wet. There are plenty of other options, to avoiding the rain, if you don't want to wear a raincoat. You could use an umbrella. You could put a newspaper over your head. You could, just stay inside, and avoid the rain altogether.

Again, YOUR CHOICE. I know, it's a simple example. But the point I am trying to drive home here, is we all make choices, every day; some serious as an abortion, some as silly as wearing a rain coat or not.

To tell someone else, ANYONE else, what to do with their body, and until that fetus is born into the air, it's part of the woman's body; supported by it. It's not up to you to tell another person what to do.

You can disagree, you can feel it's not correct, you can argue the point until the cows come home, that it's wrong under God's eyes.

But in the end, it's not your choice.

Tut tut; looks like rain.

6. fshagan

fshagan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm pro-life, but I've never considered abortion "murder". But every pro-life person has to answer the question about who would be punished, and what the punishment would look like if abortion were outlawed.

The pro-choice people are correct in saying that making abortion illegal will force women who seek abortions back into what was called "the back alley" abortions; doctors will abandon the practice of giving abortions as soon as it is made illegal. The woman trying to find an abortionist will find someone, and that person would be guilty of either performing an abortion along with violating the various laws regarding selling medical practices without a license, etc. And the woman will be breaking the law as well.

That will make abortions less safe for the woman than they are now, and women will be injured, and some will die. That's a real issue the pro-life people, like me, have to consider. There isn't an easy answer.

7. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    It's a shame Christian Scientists aren't in charge. Then they can tell people that they have no choice when it comes to.....their appendix. Or cancer. Your appendix is bad? It's going to burst? Well.....pray harder. That cancer is part of your body and you have no right to kill it or have it removed. Pray and if God wants it to go away, he'll take it away.

Yeah, simplistic too. But at least a MAN can die of appendicitis or cancer if he's told he has no choice.

8. Wildkow

Wildkow New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TJandGENESIS @ Aug 4 2007, 11:00 PM) [snapback]490783[/snapback]</div>
    Public sentiment, at least at this topic, seems to overwhelmingly disagree with you.

Wildkow

9. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    It seems, most of the proposed anti-abortion laws are punishing the performer and not the woman. In that case, what if the woman self aborts? It would appear she free of any wrong doing in the eyes of the law.

10. Darwood

Darwood Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Abortions are like smoking.
    They are nasty, unhealthy, and should be heavily discouraged.
    Yet, legal and regulated. The only difference is that cigaretts are NEVER medically necesary. The occasional abortion must be done to save the mother's life.

11. hycamguy07

hycamguy07 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Im pro-life also, however if the baby was concieved due to a rape, I would say its up to the mother...... <_<

Also this is no surprise,
    But again this is who you are, no biggie... ;)

12. Pinto Girl

Pinto Girl New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Wildkow @ Aug 5 2007, 01:15 PM) [snapback]490922[/snapback]</div>
    So...?

13. MaxLegroom

MaxLegroom Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I'm glad that they brought this part of the abortion topic out into the open. It shows that these people have not thought their position through. Maybe it would have been more interesting if these people were pressing for the death penalty for the woman having the abortion. Were that to come to pass, it would be all the more interesting were they suddenly to find out that their own daughter had just had a (now illegal, and punishable by death) abortion.

14. ohershey

ohershey New Member

I've always felt that no man has a right to judge either for or against abortion in general. In a specific case, if the man is the father, that is different - they should certainly have some input, but in general no man can really understand either pregnancy or abortion enough to have the right to condemn a woman's opinion on the subject.
    [attachmentid=10494]

Attached Files:

15. withersea

withersea DNF is better than DNS

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(TonyPSchaefer @ Aug 4 2007, 04:16 PM) [snapback]490609[/snapback]</div>
    Dammit Tony now we're all gonna have to be witnesses at your trial.

16. JSH

JSH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(hycamguy07 @ Aug 6 2007, 10:39 AM) [snapback]491250[/snapback]</div>
    That statement is completely illogical and immoral if you are truly "Pro-Life"

If you truly believe that life begins at conception and abortion is killing a child then it cannot be done under any circumstance. The method of conception does not matter. The "Child" had nothing to do with the rape, it was an act of violence involving a man and a women. What you are suggesting is simply punishing the "Child" for something it had no control over.

If a man rapes a women should she be able to kill her 1 month old child? How about a 1 year old child. Someone that believes a fetus is a child would see no difference between aborting a fetus or killing a child that had been born. How about she just kills her rapist instead of the "Child" Of course that is still killing and not very "Pro-Life"

I also wonder if you are Pro-Life or just Anti-Abortion?

If you are Pro-Life you must be against the death penalty. It is killing a person and taking a life.
    If you are Pro-Life you must be against war. War is by definition killing each other and would be opposed by anyone that is Pro-Life
    If you are Pro-Life you must support social programs that provide health care to children. After all, they are not responsible for their own care. It is not their fault if their parents are too poor to provide medical care for them. After all, you required that they be born, your support for their life and well being shouldn't disappear once they are born.

17. MarinJohn

MarinJohn Senior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jhinton @ Aug 9 2007, 02:54 PM) [snapback]493254[/snapback]</div>
    We're all pro-life. Some of us endorse a woman's right to choose what to do with her body and some of us are anti-abortion. Do not let your opponent 'define' you by their misleading labeling.