1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Get ready for $4 gasoline

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by jkash, May 7, 2007.

1. jkash

jkash Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Get ready for $4 gasoline
    With prices at record high, demand and refining problems could push them much higher. Any relief in sight?

NEW YORK (CNNMoney.com) -- With gas prices near record highs, experts say $4-a-gallon gasoline is just around the corner.

"I think it's going to happen," said Phil Flynn, a senior market analyst at Alaron Trading in Chicago. "Unless things change dramatically, I think we're going to see $4 a gallon."

Iraq's oil minister insists the future is bright despite bloodshed, bickering and oil industry doubts. CNN's Hugh Riminton reports (May 5).
    Play video
    Already, prices in California average $3.48 a gallon, according to the motorist organization AAA. And one service station in San Francisco was charging $3.95, according to GasBuddy.com, a handy site that lists the cheapest and most expensive gas stations by city and state across the country.

Refinery problems and strong demand are the two main reasons sited for the runup. Prices hit a record high of $3.07 a gallon, according to the Lundberg survey released Sunday.

Read more.

2. Pinto Girl

Pinto Girl New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jkash @ May 7 2007, 01:52 PM) [snapback]436986[/snapback]</div>
    Yes; it's parked in my garage and says 'hybrid' on the side!
    [smile]

3. 1x1

1x1 Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Considering how quickly gas went from 99 cents to over $3, I'd say it won't be long before $20/gallon is here.

4. h2photo

h2photo Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Gas is getting crazy these days!!! I think I should buy soon

5. darelldd

darelldd Prius is our Gas Guzzler

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jkash @ May 7 2007, 11:52 AM) [snapback]436986[/snapback]</div>
    Yes, it is out driving and using ZERO gasoline while the gasoline-burning car with "hybrid" on the side is safely parked in the garage *also* using no gasoline. [bigger, slightly more smug smile]

6. jiepsie

jiepsie New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jkash @ May 7 2007, 08:52 PM) [snapback]436986[/snapback]</div>
    That's cheaper than milk! Shell price here: $7.65 per gallon. It does not looks so bad when you write €1.50 per liter.

7. jewelerdave

jewelerdave New Member

LOL. Yeah, people 6 years ago didn't believe me when I told them gold would probably double or triple in price in a couple years. and it did.
    people are also confused as to why I got a prius and scoffed at the Idea of $6 gas in the next year or two when I got a prius when gas was down at 2.20

Unfortunately American thinking has been tuned and based on the short term...although a few of us do see whats coming. Considering that gas in the last 5 years has doubled then tripled. It is not far fetched at all to see it hit $4, then $5, then shoot past 6 and 7 and hit $8 cause people will still pay it. Once its around $15 and most everyone that was previously so "hard core" driving around there "big turcks" suvs etc has sold off everything they have including the trailer and they will sit there in there truck still in denial and wonder why the prices wont come down. Then blame someone else get really mad then come to the conclusion that its someone else's fault that everything got so expensive and they dont have anything anymore.

Not everyone will do this but I am sure we all know of people who will be just that way.
    People will laugh at you until its too late for them. Thats when it gets really funny.

Fact is, things change, things get more expensive. When it comes to paying rent and eating food and the right to drive...I wonder what people are going to place as there most valued commodity.

The good news is
    1. Bicycle sales are going to skyrocket!
    2. Americans will have to get more healthy and walk to get things We are a nation based on everyone having a car. Not everyone is going to be able to have a car at this rate...sorry, thats just how its going to be.

3. New communities are going to be designed much more like they were for the past several thousand years. FOR WALKING!!! Things will get closer and be smaller. Much more pleasant!

8. burritos

burritos Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(darelldd @ May 7 2007, 03:50 PM) [snapback]437077[/snapback]</div>
    What's the price difference between a prius and a functionally equivalent EV? How much gas will that buy? What's the break even point at 15,000 miles a year?

9. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I'm looking forward to getting my Xebra. Should arrive within a week. Then the gas-guzzling Prius will be able to spend most of its days happily parked in the garage.

10. sandsw

sandsw Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jewelerdave @ May 8 2007, 07:08 AM) [snapback]437080[/snapback]</div>
    The family and I moved from Australia and spent twelve months living in Palatine IL (1995). We couldn't afford a car and often walked to the convenience store which was about a kilometre down the road. Folks often pulled up to offer us a ride (which was very nice of them) but found it hard to believe that we would prefer to walk.

We hired a car every second week-end to get the groceries. One of the things that we found absolutely bizarre was that the school buses were only used for school. Here in Oz the government pays the kids bus fare to school (if school is more than a mile away) and the rest of the day the bus services the community. Having an expensive resource like a bus sitting in a lot for 95+% of its' life is plain silly.

The other thing we could never fathom is why the big malls never included the standard daily services: Post Office, Butcher, Supermarket, Fruit and Veg stores, Banks, Insurance brokers etc. We had to use a car in the USA, what with the mall being 8 miles north of the post office which was 6 miles west of the Supermarket and no bus service to speak of.

Cheers
    Warwick

(No prius - but thinking hard about it)

11. cyrus69

cyrus69 New Member

the only problem with gas going up, is that everything else goes up along with it, and the poor are the ones that really suffer. The poor will have nothing to eat as the rich drive by in their SUVs. Oil is literally in everything, from plastic bags, to non-organic produce. It's a reality check when it comes down to it, the oil won't be here forever.

12. DaveG

DaveG Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    One of the local news radio stations has been going on and on about gas prices for the last few months, having people sign petitions, hounding politicians, etc.

I have to admit, I look upon the whole project with some amusement as I fill up my car for $26 and have it last me a week or two.

That said, I loved my Prius from the moment I bought it, not just now :)

13. sub3marathonman

sub3marathonman Active Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(burritos @ May 7 2007, 07:05 PM) [snapback]437119[/snapback]</div>
    If I could speak for darelldd, and to borrow a phrase, "Priceless."

14. Husker4theSpurs

Husker4theSpurs Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(cyrus69 @ May 7 2007, 06:53 PM) [snapback]437170[/snapback]</div>
    Not to mention the cost increase to ship everything to the consumer.

15. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jkash @ May 7 2007, 01:52 PM) [snapback]436986[/snapback]</div>
    Told you so.

The price of oil isn't high. All of the extra profits are going to the refineries. That are running at 89%, the lowest to date.

They've learned the lesson of Enron and have manufactured an artificial shortage to jack up prices.

So I'm just more smug that I own a Prius and that I bought it when I did. And my family doesn't give me any lip or make jokes anymore. They all want me to drive now; that's how they save gas.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Husker4theSpurs @ May 7 2007, 09:36 PM) [snapback]437269[/snapback]</div>

I guess we need to change our buying habits.

Buy local, visit the Farmer's market, and learn to live without out of season fruits and vegetables (unless you're willing to *PAY*.)

And anyone with dirt can start to grow their own to at least subsidize their food bill.

I own a sewing machine. When it's cheaper to make my own rather than buy, I'll make. I can also buy vintage and reuse/redesign.

I'm lucky to live in a fairly temperate climate. If it gets too cold in the winter...I can always get a second dog.

16. dmckinstry

dmckinstry New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daniel @ May 7 2007, 03:53 PM) [snapback]437137[/snapback]</div>
    Are you and Allan going to have the only two Xebras in the Spokane area? That makes ultimate sense as an in town commuter car.

Dave M.

17. ServoScanMan

ServoScanMan Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    My oldest son drives my old 93 Camry which he is averaging 30mpg. He said 10 cents a mile for gasoline is cheap....try running if you don't like the gas. And my wife said, "Well, at least we can buy gas". Good point dear. :)

18. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(cyrus69 @ May 7 2007, 04:53 PM) [snapback]437170[/snapback]</div>
    It's in organic produce as well, unless it's grown using hand tools. Otherwise, those tractors burn diesel fuel.

But the solution is not to keep gas cheap. The solution is to pay a living wage to everyone who works!

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dmckinstry @ May 8 2007, 06:26 AM) [snapback]437420[/snapback]</div>
    As far as I know, Allan and I will have the first two Xebras in Spokane. He'll have a PK and I'll have an SD.

19. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Local news reported last night that a Shell station in SF charging $4.339/gal for regular and $4.539/premium. I think it's the same station that was the first to cross $4/gal for premium.

I'm not sure what that station owner is thinking considering the avg is $3.613/gal in SF per http://www.fuelgaugereport.com/CAmetro.asp. I doubt that Shell is charging him so much that he has to set his prices THAT high.

20. gh4chiefs

gh4chiefs New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jewelerdave @ May 7 2007, 04:08 PM) [snapback]437086[/snapback]</div>
    The trouble is, even with a Prius, $4, $5, $6, etc gas isn't going to be funny for me either. These knuckleheads that keep buying the gas guzzlers aren't just hurting themselves.