1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Get rid of that Sharp solar ad!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Gadgetdad, Oct 4, 2008.

1. Gadgetdad

Gadgetdad New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    :mad: That Sharp ad keeps popping out and blocking access to the search feature and other tabs. I have to slip around it with the curser like walking quietly by a sleeping Pit Bull!

Anybody else tired of this?

Lee

2. Betelgeuse

Betelgeuse Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm with you. I'm hoping that the announcement that Danny makes on Monday is that he is offering a subscription-supported ad-free version of Priuschat. In my mind, that's the only possible explanation to why he hasn't addressed these annoying ads that get in the way of using PC.

3. landstander

landstander darling no baka

A place where the nuts hunt the squirrels
    Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanx to Adblock Plus, I didn't even realize it was there. :)

4. Sufferin' Prius Envy

Sufferin' Prius Envy Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
  5. wchardin

wchardin Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    I thought the same thing when I read about something big happening on Monday. I hope it is true.

6. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Alright, I can give you a little insight into the announcement on Monday. But you can't tell Danny that I told you.

What he's going to reveal is a new, advertisement-based board in which every post will have a commercial sponsor. When you make a post, you will be able to choose which sponsor underwrites that post. When reading the board, each thread will have a sponsor with each underlying post sponsored by individual commercial entities. In order to read the posts, you will be required to click on the advertisement. Most advertisers will require a small almost-no-hassle short survey before you are taken to the post. Of course, the depth of their interactivity will be entirely up to them. Danny has assured us that this new approach will offer almost no interruption in the regular operation of the board though you will notice that the PriusChat logo will be replaced with EXXON.

Again, don't tell Danny that I told you.

7. wchardin

wchardin Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    ^^^^^^
    I can't wait!!

8. dogfriend

dogfriend Human - Animal Hybrid

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
  9. mrblaise

mrblaise Go Lakers!!

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Same here... I use adblock as well.

10. LYLUVLY

LYLUVLY New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Your listed extras which you have installed: Regarding the EV button, what is a "always on" that goes with your EV button?
    Thats for your consideration,
    [email protected]

11. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    Tony, thanks for the Exxon logo replacement line. I was having trouble breathing.

12. Gadgetdad

Gadgetdad New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Ah, a sentence structure error that. The EV switch and constant on power socket have nothing in common. A comma should separate them. Thanks for noticing, I will fix....

As for the Ads, you guys with Firefox have all the cool add-ons. Does anybody know of such nuisance ad blockers for Safari?

Lee (not an Exxon shareholder:eek:)

13. wchardin

wchardin Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Adblock will work with Safari.

Safari AdBlock

14. Betelgeuse

Betelgeuse Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hey! Don't tell him that! We may have gotten him to use Firefox (like he should be already :)) if the thought Adblock was Firefox-only.

On a more serious note, I'll just point out that there are several of us who choose not to use Adblock because the ads are where Danny gets most of his money to keep this site up and running. If you block the ads, he doesn't get the money. However, up until this point, he's done a really good job of keeping the particularly annoying ads off the site. My hope is that the only reason he hasn't done it with these ads yet is because he's starting a subscription-based service. <fingers crossed>

15. Gadgetdad

Gadgetdad New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    :pound: I agree in principle. The ads need to be there to carry the costs, but the obnoxious pop-outs that don't go away after 2 seconds are really annoying. If anyone from the Sharp Co. is listening, I'm developing a distaste for the name SHARP because of that ad! This is counterproductive and an unintended consequence of your brilliant software tricks.

Lee

16. wchardin

wchardin Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    I don't use the Adblock. If you read in the two threads that dogfriend highlighted you will see my stance. I also find the ads annoying but understand there need on the site. I hope too that on Monday a subscription based membership will be offered. I wonder if anything else would be included in the membership other than no ads?

17. Betelgeuse

Betelgeuse Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Agreed. These auto-expanding banner ads are an order of magnitude more annoying and more obtrusive than any other ads I see on this site. The fact that the interfere with the tools up at the top of the page makes them much worse. The only possible reason that they're still here is that they must pay a lot better than other ads.

Yeah. I wasn't directing my statement directly to you, but just as a more general public service announcement. There have been various suggestions as to what the membership might include. However, assuming thing stay on track, we only have ~1 more day before we see if membership is even what the announcement is. . .