1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Get your own prius!!!!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by busyrosy, Oct 27, 2006.

1. busyrosy

busyrosy New Member

Ever have an urge to say that to your significant other?

Ugggh! Sorry for venting but my finace forgets too often that the prius is MY car and that when I allow him to drive it, I'm doing him a favor.

I just about lost it earlier today when he criticized that my style of driving was "ruining" the lifetime MPG of the car.

Not to mention, he keeps moving stuff around too - he keeps finding "better places" to put things. Sorry but I want my transponder and my garage door opener in a certain place, and that's where they will be.

Oh and why is it that when we are both home, and he has to go out on an errand, he assumes that he gets to drive my prius???

2. Alnilam

Alnilam The One in the Middle

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(busyrosy @ Oct 26 2006, 11:32 PM) [snapback]339148[/snapback]</div>
    Put off the wedding as long as possible. My best advice. Trust me!

3. Paul R. Haller

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    :blink: :blink: That's exactly what my wife of 25 years told me too. I bought her a new Prius May of 05 so she could commute to her job as a grammer school principal in Hayward Ca. In an act of self preservation I ordered a new Prius for myself August 06. Now, she wants my new car and for me to accept hers. I said no so, she said she is selling hers and buying an 07 touring edition. Women... I can't win!
    -Paul R. Haller- :unsure:

4. Rick Grahn

Rick Grahn New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(busyrosy @ Oct 27 2006, 12:32 AM) [snapback]339148[/snapback]</div>
    <strike>Yours</strike>
    <strike>Mine</strike>
    Ours

Welcome (almost) to married life. Full of compromises and learning about each other. Smile and enjoy it.

5. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Writing as a guy I advise you that this will only get worse and start happening in other realms if you're not firm about this now. Tell him:

"Shush!" They're your MPGs and you'll ruin them as you see fit.

Hands off your stuff. It's yours and you'll put it where you see fit.

It's your Prius and you'll let him drive it when you feel like it. You will feel like it more often if he respects your wishes.

6. eagle33199

eagle33199 Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I agree with the others, it's time to be firm. It's your car, not his, and he should be respecting that. And if he still doesn't, then you can pull a pretty nice one "The weddings off until you buy yourself a Prius" :lol:

7. Beryl Octet

Beryl Octet New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(busyrosy @ Oct 27 2006, 02:32 AM) [snapback]339148[/snapback]</div>
    Compromise and figuring these things out is a big part of marriage. It's a matter of give and take, and respect. If you can figure this out, and you can do something like hang curtains in your house together, or wallpaper a room without choking each other, then you are well on the way. The next time he reorganizes your car, you could offer to help him with something like organizing his CD collection by the color of the album covers, and so on. He sounds like a bit of a control freak to me, and perhaps used to things "just so" and you don't, so some compromise needs to happen.

8. Charles Suitt

Charles Suitt Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    :D :lol: My solution to the MINE - yours - OURS...

My wife is still uncomfortable with the 'differences' between MY Prius and HER Camry, so she doesn't compete with me for Prius driving priviledges. I do NOT make concerted attempts to make her feel more comfortable with driving the Prius. You know... little comments like 'The Prius really needs to be driven a certain way to not break anything.' -or- 'Incorrect driving habits could harm the computers...' and such.

***GOT IT ?? *** Keep her/him guessing.

9. Rancid13

Rancid13 Cool Chick with a Black Prius

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Fortunately I don't have that problem. My husband fully understands that my Prius is just that...MY Prius. Max is all mine. :D If he had paid all or part of the car, I wouldn't mind him driving it whenever he felt like. But he didn't, I did. He has his car, I have mine. I do let him drive it on occasion, which he loves. But though it has technology that his car lacks (Bluetooth, backup camera, electric motor) I don't think he's ready to give up his V6 Accord for a Prius just yet...maybe in a year or two though. ;)

10. Alnilam

Alnilam The One in the Middle

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Paul R. Haller @ Oct 27 2006, 12:40 AM) [snapback]339160[/snapback]</div>
    I won a woman recently but she was the second place prize. First prize was a week in Baghdad at the Red Zone Hilton.

I've never been very lucky but I'll keep trying.

11. Betelgeuse

Betelgeuse Active Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Alnilam @ Oct 27 2006, 01:07 PM) [snapback]339398[/snapback]</div>
    To quote Steven Wright:

"My friend has a trophy wife. Apparently, it wasn't first place."

12. quagmire0

quagmire0 New Member

The Prius situation for my wife and I works itself out pretty well. She has the 45 minute to an hour commute. My commute is 3 minutes. :) Based on obvious economic factors, she gets the car. :p

13. chimohio

chimohio New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Rick Grahn @ Oct 27 2006, 07:28 AM) [snapback]339174[/snapback]</div>
    You know what they say "Love me, love my Prius", or is it the other way around?

14. Paul R. Haller

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    My wife always says,"whats mine is mine and what's yours is mine." I say that and I get the "LOOK"!
    -Paul R. Haller- <_<

15. Pinto Girl

Pinto Girl New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Beryl Octet @ Oct 27 2006, 08:59 AM) [snapback]339226[/snapback]</div>
    As a divorced person, I guess I don't have that much latitude to talk about secrets of a successful marriage, but, for what it's worth...I'd have to agree.

Compromise isn't easy but (I still, and will always believe) it's worthwhile and ultimately very, very satisfying. The question is, is this an isolated behaviour, or are the control issues more pervasive.

I think I'd bring it up gently...don't accuse him of anything or be confrontational, just explain how certain behaviours tend to make you feel. Keep the dialogue open and give him a chance to understand that what he's doing bothers you -- and why -- before reaching any further conclusions.

Also (and I hope you'll pardon me for oversharing/being too personal) I find myself wondering if issues of money are involved. I don't think that you mentioned if he has his own automobile or not...do you think that might have something to do with it?

New cars seem to be very powerful symbols to men, sometimes.

16. hyo silver

hyo silver Awaaaaay

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Pinto Girl @ Oct 27 2006, 07:28 PM) [snapback]339683[/snapback]</div>
    Boys are brought up not to cry, not to be scared, to like things that go bang, and to play with toys - especially toy cars. Try as I might, I have yet to completely outgrow my upbringing, and I still buy toys. Sometimes I even get to play with them, though my fantasies of filling the basement with model trains has yet to be realised. Maybe it's genetic? I've bought my girls lego, they play soccer, and they enjoy racing games, so at least some of it is nurture.

But a new car?! Do I need to ask permission to wash it? Change the oil? Pay for the maintenance? Compromise works both ways. :)

17. Tadashi

Tadashi Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The wife and I had to get two seperate Prius. I am a neat freak and anal about my mileage. Although, if we go out together somewhere I tend to do the driving in her car. She does not mind since I do generally increase the lifetime mileage (yes I track hers too, operations research analysis tendancy the wife ignores), but I generally keep my mouth shut about her driving. Unless she is driving like she is on the Indy500 and I need to change my shorts from the high speed turns and instant stops. Also rule #2 I do not move stuff to "better places." I used to but it gets moved back or she yells at me for not being able to find something.

18. dandude505

dandude505 New Member

I cant say that I agree more! I drive my prius to school every day, and although it isn't mine, I have been given complete reign over it (Let me mention that I live in a one-prius household). It trully does annoy me when anyone in my family takes the spare key, and leaves, taking my Prius. They often leave me car-less, so when I need to go out, I can't. While I find it quite annoying, I do see the logic behind it.
    At least what I am trying to do is impact some change. I am trying to use less gas and make a point to this country's administration. If that means that for a trip to the store, we get 45+ mpg, rather then ~20, thats fine, i will sacrifice my car for an hour. At least the idea behind my use of the prius is that I can drive with less gilt. I dont mind putting thousands of miles on my prius, I dont mind using it for long trips if it means that I get 45+mpg, I am happy!

19. silentak1

silentak1 Since 2005

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Interesting. I actually force my brother to drive my Prius so i can drive his scion tC. Sometimes I just need something a bit for more sporty for one or two days. ;)