1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Getting a cable into the passenger area

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by booke02, Oct 23, 2017.

1. booke02

booke02 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I am thinking of installing a front camera, but I have a question before I go too far with my thoughts on this.

Does anyone know where I can bring a cable from the engine compartment into the passenger area?

(I am looking for some existing conduit that I can use - I don't want to drill any holes!)

2. RCO

RCO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    booke02 likes this.
  3. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    If your reason for running a cable thus is to get power, could you just find a 12 volt wire within the cabin, tap into it?

4. booke02

booke02 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    You can take credit - for finding the article. (I did search, but didn't find it.)
    Those notes look very useful. Will take a look at it on the weekend.

RCO likes this.
  5. booke02

booke02 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    No problem finding power in the engine compartment.

I need to route a cable to bring the video signal from the camera (mounted ii the front) into the cabin

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  6. Elektroingenieur

Elektroingenieur Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    I believe all of the factory-installed wires that run between the engine compartment and the passenger compartment are part of the Engine Room Main Wire harness, which passes through the firewall in large, round grommets, in two places, which are different on LHD and RHD models. You can see the approximate locations if you look closely at the figures in the Location & Routing section of Toyota’s Electrical Wiring Diagram, available by subscription to techinfo.toyota.com or toyota-tech.eu. Be sure to click the Print button to get the PDF version of each figure, which you can save for later reference.

One word of caution: the Engine Room Main Wire is a very expensive part (in the U.S., the list price is $3,391.50). If the wire harness or grommets were to be damaged beyond convenient repair, replacement would be costly, not only for parts but also for the extensive disassembly and reassembly labor involved.

By the way, there are many different part numbers for the harness, depending on grade (trim level), options, and destination market, so I wouldn’t expect to find unused wires for options your car doesn’t have.

7. RCO

RCO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Sometimes I wonder whether a one size fits all approach wouldn't have been a better plan, if only for ease of maintenance costs.

8. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    It might depend on the cost of the copper wiring. I believe some older Corollas had the wiring for fog lights on models that did not have them.

9. RCO

RCO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yeah, but let that against the cost for labor in rectifying or altering/modifying post delivery, particularly under warranty.

10. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Here in the US we have ""port installed" options which are installed when the vehicle reaches the US.

When my son got his 2015 Prius v, he wanted remote start. Due to other requirements the dealer decided to order the vehicle from the factory. the smart salesman found that factory remote start was less expensive than the port installed option. He had initially quoted the more expensive one, IIRC and upgraded the price.

11. booke02

booke02 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    krmcg likes this.