1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Getting a mechanic to inspect before buying

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Cazde, Apr 26, 2016.

1. Cazde

Cazde New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Are there any specific things I should have a mechanic look at? Do I have to say a certain thing to get a proper inspection? I can't find the thread now, but someone suggested just getting an oil change. What would you do?! It's a 2015 Prius 2 with 22,000 miles on it

Thanks!!

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The car is still under warranty, should be fine

SM-N900P ?

3. David Beale

David Beale Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    If you really must have the re-assurance you will want to have a Toyota Dealer do the inspection. As stated above, it's new enough and it's a Toyota, so it really isn't necessary. But the Dealer's mechanics will have the expertise and equipment to do it properly. It will cost you in the order of $150, maybe more. Hybrid battery check etc.

4. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    22,000 miles?
    I wouldn't bother.

If you get a GEN-U-WINE Toyota dealer to inspect the car just make sure that it's a different dealer than you're buying the car from.
    Also....make sure that there isn't a NEW, left-over 2015 out there that is as cheap or cheaper than the one that you're buying.
    When I say "out there" I mean that you might want to cast your net a little wider.
    If you live where gas is expensive (it's 1.80 here) then Priuses will be more expensive as well.

Before tax season, you could get a 2015-2 for less than 20K. They're up in the low 20's now (because everybody is buying now...)

You also need to find out if you're in a CARB state, because the hybrid components have a longer warranty in those states.

Good Luck!

5. Rebound

Rebound Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    22,000 and still under warranty? It's practically brand new. Look for any evidence of collision damage/repair. A trained eye can do this. Typically, a light reflection along the body will show distortion of bodywork has occurred and the paint will reflect differently from panels which have been repainted. Smell inside the car for signs of a cigarette smoker.
    That's really about it. The car should have full maintenance records.
    Once you buy it, maybe replace the cabin air filter, which is a $20, five minute do-it-yourself item.
    Keep online with PriusChat to learn everything about your car. Enjoy it.