1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Getting a Prius, need info about bluetooth and JBL

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by bacardi151, Jun 23, 2007.

1. bacardi151

bacardi151 New Member

Hello all.

Plan on getting a new Black Pkg 2 Prius by Sept before the tax credit expires. I saw on toyota.com they have an accessory called "blue connect" for an additional $299. This raises several question for me.

1. Is blue connect the same blue tooth you get in package 5?
    2. Is the blue connect intergrated into the radio? If so...
    3. When your phone rings and your listening to the radio does the "car" either automatically mute the radio or "beep in" your music?
    4. I see from pix that it's mounted in the sunglasses cubby, I assume it uses that entire space and keeping sunglasses up there is not an option?

Here's the pick:
    [​IMG]

Lastly how much better is the JBL vs not having it?

Thanks

2. IsrAmeriPrius

IsrAmeriPrius Progressive Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
  3. liznowen

liznowen Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I don't know anything about the BlueConnect but I have the package #5 and use the bluetooth extensively. It's a great help and works great, too.

4. Bill Merchant

Bill Merchant absit invidia

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Welcome to PriusChat, bacardi151. The factory Bluetooth mutes the audio when the phone is active, and it lets you voice dial by number or by name (recorded by the car, not the dial-by-name you may record in the phone). It is also integrated with controls on the steering wheel to answer and end calls, as well as the navigation system: Look up a destination, perhaps a restaurant, press the screen Info button to see the address and phone number, press the phone number to call the restaurant.

Maybe you want to re-think BlueConnect...

5. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(bacardi151 @ Jun 23 2007, 01:50 PM) [snapback]466964[/snapback]</div>
    1. I've never heard of Blue Connect before.
    3. Yes, it mutes the stereo and the car rings.
    4. The factory Bluetooth doesn't occupy any cubbies.

As for JBL vs. not, while I wouldn't call the JBL stereo deserving the "premium" moniker (I've heard much better stereos), it's definitely not terrible. I've heard the non-JBL stereo sucks though but haven't listened to one personally.

6. zenMachine

zenMachine Just another Onionhead

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I heard California may in the future ban non-handsfree cellphone use in the car while driving.
    If true, other states may also follow.

Blueconnect may eventually be a required "option" (!) if you choose not to get the factory Bluetooth.
    I didn't intend to get Bluetooth, but now that I have it, it's the feature I use and appreciate the most.

The JBL sound system, on the other hand, is not a great bargain and can cause a lot of headaches
    if you want to do upgrades. But because the Bluetooth is integrated into the JBL amp, you have to
    get the JBL option if you want Bluetooth handsfree (I think).

The JBL system doesn't sound terrible. But for the premium I had to pay, I think it SUCKS. I'd rather
    spend that money on aftermarket equipment of my own choosing to replace a non-JBL system. But
    then I wouldn't have Bluetooth integration... Sigh...

I had a brief chance to listen to a non-JBL system in a friend's Prius, and I must admit it sounded very
    tinny and harsh. I wondered if it was because of the equalization settings, the source, or something else...

7. IsrAmeriPrius

IsrAmeriPrius Progressive Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(zenMachine @ Jun 24 2007, 05:14 AM) [snapback]467201[/snapback]</div>
    It is already the law in the State of California, but it does not go into effect until July 1, 2008.

California Vehicle Code Section 23123

The OP, however, lives in Georgia.

8. Malarkey

Malarkey New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(zenMachine @ Jun 24 2007, 08:14 AM) [snapback]467201[/snapback]</div>
    CT and a number of other states have had laws like this for a while - it's blowing my mind since there have been a number of studies showing that hands-free doesn't make much of a difference. Cell vs. Non-Cell, however, does.

To the OP: The 2007 I rented had stock stereo and it was OK. It was capable of decent volume but sounded a bit muddy... but in my experience most do.

9. grathke

grathke New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

I've been looking into Blueconnect and found it now has an optional wiring harness for muting the radio.

I picked one up on ebay for $90, new in box although it was silver and not bisque. The blueconnect folks are sending out a correct color speaker trim for $9.00

grathke